Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 4000 - display problem

  • jacquesclouseau@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1 5:29 PM
      On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:34:00 -0000, you wrote:

      >Hi, I had Windows ME on my laptop but wanted to try to run Linux as
      >well. I have installt Redhat 7.2 (whit dual boot) but some time the
      >display turns black (gray or very light), so I cant see any thing. I
      >then have to restart and try again. Some times this happens when I
      >start Linux and sometimes when I am shutting it down. It never
      >happens when I run Windows.
      >I am very new to Linux so I have never tryed this before.
      >My system is:Dell Inspiron 4000, Intel Pentium III 700 Mhz, 128MB RAM,
      >14.1 inch TFT Active Matrix XGA Display (1024x768 maximum resolution),
      >ATI Rage Mobility 128 2xAGP video controller with 8MB SGRAM.
      >hope you can help

      I have the same setup, and it all works without any problems. The only
      difference might be that I use a program called System Commander 2000 to
      allow for dual-booting; what are you using? Not sure if that could make
      the difference, but maybe someone else knows.

      Jacques
      jacquesclouseau@...
    • benjamin_allanach
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2002
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "nannapet" <nannapet@y...> wrote:
        > Hi, I had Windows ME on my laptop but wanted to try to run Linux as
        > well. I have installt Redhat 7.2 (whit dual boot) but some time the
        > display turns black (gray or very light), so I cant see any thing. I
        > then have to restart and try again. Some times this happens when I
        > start Linux and sometimes when I am shutting it down. It never
        > happens when I run Windows.
        > I am very new to Linux so I have never tryed this before.
        > My system is:Dell Inspiron 4000, Intel Pentium III 700 Mhz, 128MB
        RAM,
        > 14.1 inch TFT Active Matrix XGA Display (1024x768 maximum
        resolution),
        > ATI Rage Mobility 128 2xAGP video controller with 8MB SGRAM.
        > hope you can help

        I seem to remember having the same problem when I used LILO.
        Luckily GRUB (which is nice) seemed to work fine.
        Good luck!
        Ben