another i8100ism (HDD Drive clicking and knocking)

  • dareljuk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      Apart from other problems i have with the I8100 hardware I found that
      there is a major problem with the 20gb Hitachi harddrive that the
      I8100 uses. in firmware versions A01 A02 and A03 there is a clicking
      noise and sometimes head knocking against the safety stop noises
      coming from the HD, even when there should be no disk activity.

      It does this both in windows and in linux. Anyone have any ideas
      experience on the best way to stop this, I dont want to lose any work
      due to a disk crash, which is something i get the feeling will happen
      if this problem isnt identified correctly.

      Anyone else have the same problem.

      Are dell responsive ? I have a non functioning Actiontec Mini PCI card
      that they basically refuse to believe is non functional. I am
      currently using a nice USB ethernet card (Pegasus chip) that works
      flawlessly on the same network that the actiontec refuses to work with..

      If your reading this thinking of buying an I8100.. Dont. (my opinion)
    • Tim Roberts
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
        On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 22:21:55 -0000, "dareljuk" <darelcullen@...> wrote:

        >Apart from other problems i have with the I8100 hardware I found that
        >there is a major problem with the 20gb Hitachi harddrive that the
        >I8100 uses. in firmware versions A01 A02 and A03 there is a clicking
        >noise and sometimes head knocking against the safety stop noises
        >coming from the HD, even when there should be no disk activity.
        >
        >It does this both in windows and in linux. Anyone have any ideas
        >experience on the best way to stop this, I dont want to lose any work
        >due to a disk crash, which is something i get the feeling will happen
        >if this problem isnt identified correctly.

        For what it's worth, I've had four different IBM Travelstar disks in my
        Inspiron 7000 (three 5GB and a 10GB). All four have exhibited exactly the same
        noises you describe in this message, in Win98, Linux and Win2000. One of the
        5GB's did go bad, but the noises at that time were quite different (click
        thunk, click thunk, click thunk...).

        I suspect this is just the normal operation of these 12mm disks.

        You ARE backing up your data, right? Your CD burner is your friend...

        --
        - Tim Roberts, timr@...
        Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.