Re: I8K RH7.1 s2d experience

  • urkbot
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "myronsussman" <msussman@a...> wrote:
      ...snip...
      > d5788807.exe creates a bootable disk (W95 OS) with
      > mks2d.exe (also version 3.7.2) and rms2d.exe on it
      > (not phdisk.exe). Booting this disk and running
      > mks2d.exe causes the s2d partition to be created and
      > formatted.

      Was it destructive? The reason I ask is that I've often considered
      trying to get it working (since it hasn't as of late). I have a
      partition in place that is large enough to handle it. My question is
      does the d57...exe utility let you know what it's doing, and if so,
      does it allow you to run it without having to reinstall the OS
      afterward?

      > I can suspend using <fn>-A-A from RH7.1
      > and everything seems to work properly.

      To make sure that I understand what is happening, you have lilo
      installed on the root partition, not on the MBR. You let the s2d
      function delineate which partition it boots up to, whether it be the
      linux root partition or the s2d partition. Is that right?

      Essentially, the linux root partition is the active partition most of
      the time, except after you've s2d-ed, in which case the s2d partition
      is active; it boots, restores, then resets the linux root partition as
      the active one. Right?

      Thanks. (Another reason I'm asking is I'm going to upgrade my i8k
      with two 256MB SODIMMS from crucial.com -- $46 each -- and I know I'll
      have to rearrange things to expand the s2d partition.)

      -urkbot
    • myronsussman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "urkbot" <wfe1@b...> wrote:
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "myronsussman" <msussman@a...>
        wrote:
        > ...snip...
        > > d5788807.exe creates a bootable disk (W95 OS) with
        > > mks2d.exe (also version 3.7.2) and rms2d.exe on it
        > > (not phdisk.exe). Booting this disk and running
        > > mks2d.exe causes the s2d partition to be created and
        > > formatted.
        >
        > Was it destructive? The reason I ask is that I've often considered
        > trying to get it working (since it hasn't as of late). I have a
        > partition in place that is large enough to handle it. My question
        is
        > does the d57...exe utility let you know what it's doing, and if so,
        > does it allow you to run it without having to reinstall the OS
        > afterward?

        NO. NO. mks2d was not distructive: I ran rms2d to delete the
        old partition. mks2d did let you know what it was doing, but
        it offered no options.

        > > I can suspend using <fn>-A-A from RH7.1
        > > and everything seems to work properly.
        >
        > To make sure that I understand what is happening, you have lilo
        > installed on the root partition, not on the MBR. You let the s2d
        > function delineate which partition it boots up to, whether it be the
        > linux root partition or the s2d partition. Is that right?
        >
        > Essentially, the linux root partition is the active partition most
        of
        > the time, except after you've s2d-ed, in which case the s2d
        partition
        > is active; it boots, restores, then resets the linux root partition
        as
        > the active one. Right?

        NO. I do not have lilo working because I have a big WME partition
        (10GB) before the Linux partition. If you put lilo on the MBR,
        s2d will not work. If you put lilo above cylinder 1024, the
        BIOS cannot find the active partition.

        I leave the Micro$oft MBR there (fdisk /mbr) and mark the WME
        partition active. When I want to boot Linux, I boot from
        floppy. Since I almost never boot (always use s2d), this
        is a very minor inconvenience. I plan to switch to grub
        sometime soon.

        s2d sets the flags so it boots from the s2d partition when
        I use Linux to s2d.