Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 698

  • Nancy Alton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2002
      How do I remove my account from this automated mailing?

      From: "w3a5e1" <ateeling@...>
      2. Re: Re: DVD and TV-Out Problem
      From: Justin Ellison <justin@...>
      3. Re: Re: DVD and TV-Out Problem
      From: Steve Harris <steve@...>
      4. Re: Re: DVD and TV-Out Problem
      From: Sanyu <sanyu_md@...>
      5. Re: Re: DVD and TV-Out Problem
      From: Steve Harris <steve@...>
      6. Suse 7.3 and Dell Inspiron 8100
      From: "majhordan" <majhordan@...>
      7. problems with redhat 7
      From: "simcel54" <simon@...>
      8. Re: Suse 7.3 and Dell Inspiron 8100
      From: "W.D.McKinney" <deem@...>
      9. Quake 3 arena screen problem
      From: "soundsmithy" <soundsmithy@...>
      10. Re: DVD and TV-Out Problem
      From: "w3a5e1" <ateeling@...>
      11. Which DVD CD-R/RW combo drive?
      From: Walter Logeman <walter@...>
      12. Re: Suse 7.3 and Dell Inspiron 8100
      From: "majhordan" <majhordan@...>
      13. ATI Mobility & Svideo?
      From: "smhanov" <smhanov@...>
      14. Re: Re: DVD and TV-Out Problem
      From: michael carr <pweiproduct@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 16:41:30 -0000
      From: "w3a5e1" <ateeling@...>
      Subject: Re: DVD and TV-Out Problem

      I dont know what vid card you have but i have it working with my
      geforce2 go. What i had to do is set up a twinview config with the tv
      and my lcd. Then i can use xine to play dvds fullscreen on the tv and
      still have a desktop on the lcd to use, pretty cool actually. Use the
      readme that comes with nvidia drivers for twinview info.
      adam

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Sanyu <sanyu_md@t...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > has anyone tried playing a DVD on the TV?
      >
      > My DVD works fine on Linux,and I can use my TV as any other display
      > device,but when I run a DVD (I tried Xine and Ogle) it doesn't display
      > the movie, you can see the window, but instead of the movie, you get a
      > blue screen.
      >
      > The same thing happens when I try to get a screen shot of my
      > desktop...everyhting is perfect, but instead of the movie I get a blue
      > screen...
      >
      > Any idea on what's going wrong?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      > Sanyu

      Message: 2
      Date: 27 Dec 2001 10:50:43 -0600
      From: Justin Ellison <justin@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: DVD and TV-Out Problem

      Just checking, but you're not using Xv are you???

      I use xine as my DVD player. When xine uses Xv, I get the bluescreen
      problem described earlier. If I tell xine to use X Shared Memory, it
      displays on the TV just fine - but there's a performance hit... some
      lost frames.

      I have the geforce2go - I just figured it was something that NVidia did
      in their drivers. If you are using Xv and getting it to work on the TV
      Out - do tell how!!!

      Justin

      On Thu, 2001-12-27 at 10:41, w3a5e1 wrote:
      > I dont know what vid card you have but i have it working with my
      > geforce2 go. What i had to do is set up a twinview config with the tv
      > and my lcd. Then i can use xine to play dvds fullscreen on the tv and
      > still have a desktop on the lcd to use, pretty cool actually. Use the
      > readme that comes with nvidia drivers for twinview info.
      > adam
      >

      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Sanyu <sanyu_md@t...> wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > > has anyone tried playing a DVD on the TV?
      > >
      > > My DVD works fine on Linux,and I can use my TV as any other display
      > > device,but when I run a DVD (I tried Xine and Ogle) it doesn't display
      > > the movie, you can see the window, but instead of the movie, you get a
      > > blue screen.
      > >
      > > The same thing happens when I try to get a screen shot of my
      > > desktop...everyhting is perfect, but instead of the movie I get a blue
      > > screen...
      > >
      > > Any idea on what's going wrong?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance.
      > > Sanyu

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:23:08 +0000
      From: Steve Harris <steve@...>

      On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 10:50:43 -0600, Justin Ellison wrote:
      > I have the geforce2go - I just figured it was something that NVidia did
      > in their drivers. If you are using Xv and getting it to work on the TV
      > Out - do tell how!!!

      I got this to work by starting X in an 800x600 lcd mode first, then on the
      TV out. I have no idea why this works, but it does.

      I will send my XF86config file if you can;t get it to work, but I don't
      think there is anything special about it.

      - Steve

      Message: 4
      Date: 27 Dec 2001 18:24:21 +0000
      From: Sanyu <sanyu_md@...>

      El jue, 27-12-2001 a las 16:41, w3a5e1 escribió:
      > I dont know what vid card you have but i have it working with my
      > geforce2 go. What i had to do is set up a twinview config with the tv
      > and my lcd. Then i can use xine to play dvds fullscreen on the tv and
      > still have a desktop on the lcd to use, pretty cool actually. Use the
      > readme that comes with nvidia drivers for twinview info.
      > adam

      Sorry about that, my system is an Inspiron 8100, Nvidia GeForce2,
      DVD-CDRW Combo, and I'm using Debian Unstable (Sid).
      Could you post (or send me) your XF86Config-4?

      I don't think there is anything wrong with my configuration (but I'll
      try)...I can play dvds on my lcd, but I don't understand why I get a
      blue screen when I try to get a screen shot (even though I'm watching
      the DVD perfectly)
      Sanyu

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 5
      Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 18:34:51 +0000
      From: Steve Harris <steve@...>

      On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 06:24:21 +0000, Sanyu wrote:
      > I don't think there is anything wrong with my configuration (but I'll
      > try)...I can play dvds on my lcd, but I don't understand why I get a
      > blue screen when I try to get a screen shot (even though I'm watching
      > the DVD perfectly)
      > Sanyu

      That's how xv works, the card replaces pixels of a certain colour with the
      video image, so the frame buffer contains the blue colour, but it appears
      as video in hardware.

      - Steve

      Message: 6
      Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 21:18:07 -0000
      From: "majhordan" <majhordan@...>
      Subject: Suse 7.3 and Dell Inspiron 8100

      I am trying to do this install.

      PC is 1.1 Gig clock speed, 256m RAM, GeoForce 2 Go NVIDIA video
      adapter, 20 Gig HD with a 6 Gig W2000 partition. I put the LILO info
      on a floppy as advised by the install program. When I rebooted to
      continue the installation, I get the initial screen for graphics mode
      where the cursor is an "X" in the middle of the screen. No matter how
      long I wait this does not change, and computer is "hung". I must hold
      down power switch for several seconds to get it to turn off, and then
      wait a while to repower the PC.

      It looks like the installer does not handle my adapter well but I am
      unsure of the exact steps to fix this. I have Nvidia files for this
      adapter on two floppies. I had downloaded these from their website.
      What is next?

      Thanks in advance for any and all help.

      Daniel

      Message: 7
      Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:50:03 -0000
      From: "simcel54" <simon@...>
      Subject: problems with redhat 7

      hello thanks for reading this

      I have a Dell 2500 with a 15"screen

      I removed Windows ME from my machine and installed Linux 7

      Everything went smoothly - except
      1. The probe did not pick up my display - I selected Generic Laptop
      Colour 1024 by 768

      2. Linux runs fine until I try and launch KDE or Gnome - the screen
      changes to a Redhat screen and for a few seconds an 'x' cursor
      responds to the touchpad - THEN everything freezes

      Please can you help

      with thanks for your time

      simon

      Message: 8
      Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 14:04:36 -0900 (AKST)
      From: "W.D.McKinney" <deem@...>
      Subject: Re: Suse 7.3 and Dell Inspiron 8100

      "majhordan" <majhordan@...> wrote:
      > I am trying to do this install.
      >
      > PC is 1.1 Gig clock speed, 256m RAM, GeoForce 2 Go NVIDIA video
      > adapter, 20 Gig HD with a 6 Gig W2000 partition. I put the LILO info
      > on a floppy as advised by the install program. When I rebooted to
      > continue the installation, I get the initial screen for graphics mode
      > where the cursor is an "X" in the middle of the screen. No matter how
      > long I wait this does not change, and computer is "hung". I must hold
      > down power switch for several seconds to get it to turn off, and then
      > wait a while to repower the PC.
      >
      > It looks like the installer does not handle my adapter well but I am
      > unsure of the exact steps to fix this. I have Nvidia files for this
      > adapter on two floppies. I had downloaded these from their website.
      > What is next?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for any and all help.
      >

      > Daniel

      Hi Daniel,

      Try the archives at http://lists2.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/ for the
      install
      issue, I think it's the Video Card if my memory is correct. I run 7.3 on my
      i4000
      and it's great.

      The mail list suse-linux-e is the one to subscribe to for help also.

      Best Regards,
      /Dee

      --
      W.D.McKinney (Dee)
      (907)349-4308 (Office)

      Message: 9
      Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 00:29:45 -0000
      From: "soundsmithy" <soundsmithy@...>
      Subject: Quake 3 arena screen problem

      Alright how do I get quake to run full screen without changing th e
      game res to 1600x1200 ( size of the screen i have)? I have tried
      starting x in a lower resolution but it won't. It just displays full
      1600 res.

      My sys is
      Redhat 7.2
      Gnome
      Xfree86 4.1.0
      850 pentium
      ati rage m4 32mb ram
      ultra sxga 15 screen
      top res is 32 bit 1600x1200

      thanks

      Jon

      Message: 10
      Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 00:47:52 -0000
      From: "w3a5e1" <ateeling@...>

      Here's my config. Im not sure about he screen shots, haven't tryed to
      use them yet.
      adam

      # XFree86 4.0 configuration generated by Xconfigurator

      #invoke using the '-layout' option of startx

      Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Mobile"
      Screen 0 "Screen Single" 0 0
      InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"
      InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
      InputDevice "MSUSB" "SendCoreEvents"
      EndSection

      Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Home"
      Screen 0 "Screen TwinHome"
      InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"
      InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
      InputDevice "MSUSB" "SendCoreEvents"
      EndSection

      Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Work"
      Screen 0 "Screen TwinWork" 0 0
      InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"
      InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
      InputDevice "MSUSB" "SendCoreEvents"
      EndSection

      Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "TV"
      Screen 0 "Screen TV" 0 0
      InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"
      InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
      EndSection

      # By default, Red Hat Linux 6.0 and later use xfs

      Section "Files"
      FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
      FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
      FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF"
      FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
      FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local"
      FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
      FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
      FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
      EndSection

      # Module loading section

      Section "Module"
      Load "dbe" # Double-buffering
      Load "GLcore" # OpenGL support
      Load "dri" # Direct rendering infrastructure
      Load "glx" # OpenGL X protocol interface
      Load "extmod" # Misc. required extensions
      Load "v4l" # Video4Linux
      # Load "pex5" # PHIGS for X 3D environment (obsolete)
      # Load "record" # X event recorder
      # Load "xie" # X Image Extension (obsolete)
      # You only need the following two modules if you do not use xfs.
      Load "freetype" # TrueType font handler
      Load "type1" # Adobe Type 1 font handler
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Keyboard0"
      Driver "keyboard"
      Option "XkbLayout" "us"
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "TouchPad"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Device" "/dev/misc/psaux"
      Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "MSUSB"
      # Modified by mouseconfig
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "ExternalCRT"
      VendorName "Unknown"
      ModelName "Unknown"
      HorizSync 30-72
      VertRefresh 50-120
      Option "dpms"
      Modeline "1400x1050" 120 1400 1464 1656 1872
      1050 1051 1054 1068
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Laptop"
      VendorName "Unknown"
      ModelName "Unknown"
      HorizSync 28-90
      VertRefresh 40-120
      Option "dpms"
      Modeline "1400x1050" 120 1400 1464 1656 1872
      1050 1051 1054 1068
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "TV"
      VendorName "Unknown"
      ModelName "Unknown"
      HorizSync 30-50
      VertRefresh 60
      Modeline "1400x1050" 120 1400 1464 1656 1872
      1050 1051 1054 1068
      EndSection

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "NV AGP"
      Driver "nvidia"
      VendorName "NVidia"
      BoardName "GeForce 2 Go"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      #Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
      Option "NvAgp" "1"
      EndSection

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "NV DDC"
      Driver "nvidia"
      VendorName "NVidia"
      BoardName "GeForce 2 Go"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      #Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"
      Option "NvAGP" "1"
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen TwinHome"
      Device "NV AGP"
      Monitor "ExternalCRT"
      DefaultDepth 24
      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
      EndSubSection

      Option "TwinView"
      Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "28-90"
      Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "40-120"
      Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
      Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024 @1280x1050,1400x1050"
      Option "ConnectedMonitor" "dfp,crt"
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen TwinWork"
      Device "NV DDC"
      Monitor "ExternalCRT"
      DefaultDepth 24
      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
      EndSubSection

      Option "TwinView"
      #Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "28-90"
      #Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "40-120"
      Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Below"
      Option "MetaModes" "1400x1050,1400x1050; 1280x1024,1280x1024;
      1024x768,1024x768; 800x600,800x600; 640x480,640x480"
      Option "ConnectedMonitor" "dfp,crt"
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen Single"
      Device "NV DDC"
      Monitor "Laptop"
      DefaultDepth 24
      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Modes "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
      EndSubSection
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen TV"
      Device "NV AGP"
      Monitor "TV"
      DefaultDepth 24
      Subsection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Modes "800x600"
      EndSubSection
      #Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"
      Option "TwinView"
      Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Above"
      Option "MetaModes" "800x600,1400x1050"
      Option "ConnectedMonitor" "dfp,TV"
      Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
      EndSection

      > Sorry about that, my system is an Inspiron 8100, Nvidia GeForce2,
      > DVD-CDRW Combo, and I'm using Debian Unstable (Sid).
      > Could you post (or send me) your XF86Config-4?
      >
      > I don't think there is anything wrong with my configuration (but I'll
      > try)...I can play dvds on my lcd, but I don't understand why I get a
      > blue screen when I try to get a screen shot (even though I'm watching
      > the DVD perfectly)
      > Sanyu

      Message: 11
      Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 14:40:07 +1300
      From: Walter Logeman <walter@...>
      Subject: Which DVD CD-R/RW combo drive?

      For the internal fixed optical bay I have been given two choices
      of DVD CD-R/RW combo drive in my purchase process of a Dell i8100
      laptop. Which one to choose? I'd like to be able to use my
      machine as dual boot with XP till everything works adequately on
      Linux - and I am new to Linux. If I choose the "(FOR WIN XP)"
      drive will that compromise my Linux setup?

      Quote from the NZ web site below.

      Walter

      ~~~
      INTERNAL CD-R/RW DRIVE MODULE,16X/10X/24X AND DVD-ROM DRIVE,8X
      COMBO [+ $ 894.38]
      NOT COMPATIBLE WITH REMOVABLE DVD-ROM & CD-RW. FOR WIN ME & WIN
      2000 ONLY (ILLEGAL - WIN 2000 WITH 64MB SDRAM).

      (FOR WIN XP)INTERNAL CD-RW DRIVE MODULE,16X/10X/24X & DVD-ROM
      DRIVE,8X COMBO,KIT [+ $ 894.38]
      NOT COMPATIBLE WITH REMOVABLE DVD-ROM & CD-RW. FOR WIN XP.

      Message: 12
      Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:53:19 -0000
      From: "majhordan" <majhordan@...>

      Thanks for the quick reply and the link. I will check it out.

      Daniel

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "W.D.McKinney" <deem@w...> wrote:
      > "majhordan" <majhordan@y...> wrote:
      > > I am trying to do this install.
      > >
      > > PC is 1.1 Gig clock speed, 256m RAM, GeoForce 2 Go NVIDIA video
      > > adapter, 20 Gig HD with a 6 Gig W2000 partition. I put the LILO
      info
      > > on a floppy as advised by the install program. When I rebooted to
      > > continue the installation, I get the initial screen for graphics
      mode
      > > where the cursor is an "X" in the middle of the screen. No matter
      how
      > > long I wait this does not change, and computer is "hung". I must
      hold
      > > down power switch for several seconds to get it to turn off, and
      then
      > > wait a while to repower the PC.
      > >
      > > It looks like the installer does not handle my adapter well but I
      am
      > > unsure of the exact steps to fix this. I have Nvidia files for
      this
      > > adapter on two floppies. I had downloaded these from their
      website.
      > > What is next?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance for any and all help.
      > >

      > > Daniel
      > >

      > Hi Daniel,
      >
      > Try the archives at http://lists2.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/
      for the install
      > issue, I think it's the Video Card if my memory is correct. I run
      7.3 on my i4000
      > and it's great.
      >
      > The mail list suse-linux-e is the one to subscribe to for help also.
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > /Dee
      >

      > --
      > W.D.McKinney (Dee)
      > (907)349-4308 (Office)
      > (907)349-2226 (Fax)
      > http://3519098920

      Message: 13
      Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 06:16:33 -0000
      From: "smhanov" <smhanov@...>
      Subject: ATI Mobility & Svideo?

      I have been scanning over the messages from the past few months
      trying to decide whether to purchase an Inspiron 4100. Most of it has
      been very informative!

      From, the tv-out does not work with the ATI card. Is this still true?
      I had dreams of hooking my laptop to the tv, and having the most
      expensive DVD player on the block. However it looks like to do this
      I might have to pay extra for the NVidia option.

      Message: 14
      Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:27:55 -0800 (PST)
      From: michael carr <pweiproduct@...>

      most video chipsets are only supported on NTSC out up to 800x600 or
      1024x768. it has to do with the poor quality of tv's versus pc
      monitors. past 800x600 you wouldn't really be able to make anything out
      on the TV screen.

      mikey >;)

      http://greetings.yahoo.com