I8K RH7.1 s2d experience

  • myronsussman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
      Recently, I posted a question about s2d and several people
      responded with the information that I was not actually
      suspending to disk. To all who responded, thank you!

      I re-installed my suspend-to-disk partition and everything
      works fine, now. <fn>-A-A puts it into suspension (hibernation).
      I did have some trouble with the installation, however,
      and I would like to pass on my experience.

      I downloaded pcresume.rpm, rh7s2d.exe, and d5788807.exe
      from Dell (downloads). Of these, pcresume.rpm appears
      to be empty, rh7s2d.exe does not work, but d5788807.exe
      does work.

      rh7s2d.exe creates a bootable disk (freedos OS) with
      several utilities, phdisk.exe, mks2d.exe, and rms2d.exe
      on it. mks2d.exe is version 3.7.2. When this disk is
      booted, rms2d.exe and mks2d.exe and phdisk.exe all fail
      to read my 20GB hard disk. They start up and then hang.
      The mks2d.exe program actually creates a partition, but
      it does not format it. If you try to use the partition,
      you get an error message telling you that the BIOS is
      incompatible with mks2d and recommends upgrading the BIOS.

      d5788807.exe creates a bootable disk (W95 OS) with
      mks2d.exe (also version 3.7.2) and rms2d.exe on it
      (not phdisk.exe). Booting this disk and running
      mks2d.exe causes the s2d partition to be created and
      formatted. I can suspend using <fn>-A-A from RH7.1
      and everything seems to work properly.
    • urkbot
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2002
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "myronsussman" <msussman@a...> wrote:
        ...snip...
        > d5788807.exe creates a bootable disk (W95 OS) with
        > mks2d.exe (also version 3.7.2) and rms2d.exe on it
        > (not phdisk.exe). Booting this disk and running
        > mks2d.exe causes the s2d partition to be created and
        > formatted.

        Was it destructive? The reason I ask is that I've often considered
        trying to get it working (since it hasn't as of late). I have a
        partition in place that is large enough to handle it. My question is
        does the d57...exe utility let you know what it's doing, and if so,
        does it allow you to run it without having to reinstall the OS
        afterward?

        > I can suspend using <fn>-A-A from RH7.1
        > and everything seems to work properly.

        To make sure that I understand what is happening, you have lilo
        installed on the root partition, not on the MBR. You let the s2d
        function delineate which partition it boots up to, whether it be the
        linux root partition or the s2d partition. Is that right?

        Essentially, the linux root partition is the active partition most of
        the time, except after you've s2d-ed, in which case the s2d partition
        is active; it boots, restores, then resets the linux root partition as
        the active one. Right?

        Thanks. (Another reason I'm asking is I'm going to upgrade my i8k
        with two 256MB SODIMMS from crucial.com -- $46 each -- and I know I'll
        have to rearrange things to expand the s2d partition.)

        -urkbot
      • myronsussman
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2002
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "urkbot" <wfe1@b...> wrote:
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "myronsussman" <msussman@a...>
          wrote:
          > ...snip...
          > > d5788807.exe creates a bootable disk (W95 OS) with
          > > mks2d.exe (also version 3.7.2) and rms2d.exe on it
          > > (not phdisk.exe). Booting this disk and running
          > > mks2d.exe causes the s2d partition to be created and
          > > formatted.
          >
          > Was it destructive? The reason I ask is that I've often considered
          > trying to get it working (since it hasn't as of late). I have a
          > partition in place that is large enough to handle it. My question
          is
          > does the d57...exe utility let you know what it's doing, and if so,
          > does it allow you to run it without having to reinstall the OS
          > afterward?

          NO. NO. mks2d was not distructive: I ran rms2d to delete the
          old partition. mks2d did let you know what it was doing, but
          it offered no options.

          > > I can suspend using <fn>-A-A from RH7.1
          > > and everything seems to work properly.
          >
          > To make sure that I understand what is happening, you have lilo
          > installed on the root partition, not on the MBR. You let the s2d
          > function delineate which partition it boots up to, whether it be the
          > linux root partition or the s2d partition. Is that right?
          >
          > Essentially, the linux root partition is the active partition most
          of
          > the time, except after you've s2d-ed, in which case the s2d
          partition
          > is active; it boots, restores, then resets the linux root partition
          as
          > the active one. Right?

          NO. I do not have lilo working because I have a big WME partition
          (10GB) before the Linux partition. If you put lilo on the MBR,
          s2d will not work. If you put lilo above cylinder 1024, the
          BIOS cannot find the active partition.

          I leave the Micro$oft MBR there (fdisk /mbr) and mark the WME
          partition active. When I want to boot Linux, I boot from
          floppy. Since I almost never boot (always use s2d), this
          is a very minor inconvenience. I plan to switch to grub
          sometime soon.

          s2d sets the flags so it boots from the s2d partition when
          I use Linux to s2d.