Re: x config

  • zakkath2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2002
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "alexi_septimus" <alexi_septimus@y...>
      wrote:
      > Ok, i really need some help getting my display to work. i have been
      > reading on this group for weeks now and havent figured it out. I am
      > trying to install suse 7.2, personal. i have an inspiron 8100, pIII
      > 1.13, geforce2go-32mb, 15 inch uxga.

      I just installed SuSE 7.3 pro on a Latitude c810 with the 16 Mb
      geforce2 go and 15" uxga.

      You can get the latest nvidia drivers via SuSE's "you" online update
      system (run YaST2 and go to the software module) or you can download
      them direct from nvidia. Go to

      http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=linux

      The documentation provided in the installation instructions (at
      nvidia's site above) was very helpful in getting x configured on my
      laptop.

      I experienced some problems with hangs during shutdown and mode
      switching when swapping to another tty until I disabled AGP via
      Option "NvAGP" "0"

      I'm running very stable now (with apm features disabled) and hope to
      find a config where I can correctly re-enable the agp and apm stuff.

      The SuSE install got X running on my box, but I wanted to do some
      additional configuration. The best way I found to run sax (suse's x
      configurator) was to boot the system, CNTL-ALT-F1 and login as root on
      tty1, init 3 to shutdown kdm, then run sax via:

      sax2 -m 0=fbdev

      You have an option of keeping/merging in your existing X config with
      what sax detects using the framebuffer driver. For monitor settings I
      set the vert refresh range to 55-65 (it is actually 60) and horiz of
      30-100. I didn't have to specify any modelines to get standard
      resolutions of 1600x1200, 1280x1024, etc. working. You will need
      modelines for non-standard resolutions like 1400x1050, 1280x960, etc.

      Hope this helps... now if I can just figure out how to get the APM
      stuff to quit locking up the system and maybe get the battery status
      and lcd brightness controls working I'll be pretty happy.

      Zak