Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Battery Life discrepancies

  • Sanyu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
      > Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
      > and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).

      That "scary" drop in display's brightness you've experienced should be
      caused by your BIOS settings (I can change this on my Inspiron 8100, I
      suppose you can do the same).
    • jacquesclouseau@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
        On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 06:27:15 -0000, you wrote:

        >Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
        >and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).

        It's set up to do that -- it's a power-saving feature, to make the battery
        last longer. You can change it in the BIOS, if you want, but you'll pay on
        battery life.

        Jacques
        jacquesclouseau@...
      • zdimcovic
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
          Thanks for your repsonses !

          I assumed that it is a way to manage the battery ... the point
          is that in WinXP this does *not* happen (sorry I did not make this
          clear). If it is still BIOS then WinXP must be doing something very
          ... 'specific' (since it maintains the brightness) ?

          I am not really very worried about it, have more immediate concerns
          ("LinkSys Etherfast" card's modem, mounting the CD-RW), but still
          wanted to clarify the statement for other people who may be reading
          this. (I have not tried to change this in BIOS though ...)
          It is most likely possible to change this behaviour, it looks like
          that arguments (to apmd) "change power" or "change battery" affect
          this (at the moment ... I consider the battery functional)

          Regarding the original posting: I consistently get 5 min difference
          in estimates when it runs on battery or on external power (with
          battery it shows 5 min less). This could have something to do with
          the above mentioned apmd's features ?

          Zlatko