Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Battery Life discrepancies

  • Steve Baldwin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
      Try doing a suspend to ram (Fn-Esc), and leaving the machine connected to
      mains power overnight. Check what the power meter shows in the morning when
      you switch on. I think that's where I'm loosing power.

      Steve
    • Sanyu
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
        > Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
        > and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).

        That "scary" drop in display's brightness you've experienced should be
        caused by your BIOS settings (I can change this on my Inspiron 8100, I
        suppose you can do the same).
      • jacquesclouseau@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
          On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 06:27:15 -0000, you wrote:

          >Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
          >and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).

          It's set up to do that -- it's a power-saving feature, to make the battery
          last longer. You can change it in the BIOS, if you want, but you'll pay on
          battery life.

          Jacques
          jacquesclouseau@...
        • zdimcovic
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
            Thanks for your repsonses !

            I assumed that it is a way to manage the battery ... the point
            is that in WinXP this does *not* happen (sorry I did not make this
            clear). If it is still BIOS then WinXP must be doing something very
            ... 'specific' (since it maintains the brightness) ?

            I am not really very worried about it, have more immediate concerns
            ("LinkSys Etherfast" card's modem, mounting the CD-RW), but still
            wanted to clarify the statement for other people who may be reading
            this. (I have not tried to change this in BIOS though ...)
            It is most likely possible to change this behaviour, it looks like
            that arguments (to apmd) "change power" or "change battery" affect
            this (at the moment ... I consider the battery functional)

            Regarding the original posting: I consistently get 5 min difference
            in estimates when it runs on battery or on external power (with
            battery it shows 5 min less). This could have something to do with
            the above mentioned apmd's features ?

            Zlatko