Re: Battery Life discrepancies

  • zdimcovic
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2001
      Similar 'jokes' here (Inspiron 4100, P-III 1.2, bought less than
      a month ago) :

      It is showing: 95 %, 2:53 minutes while plugged in and fully
      charged.
      Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
      and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).
      Plug it back in ... and it's right back at 2:53. I haven't yet
      followed the behaviour systematically ... like how it breathes
      when it is booted on battery. (I am about to actually configure
      everything I want in this box only now, had no time yet to play
      with it :( )
      Based on a few 'hard' uses of the battery (with WinXP) I am pretty
      certain that it can overshoot 3 hours (but have not actually tested
      it carefully).

      Zlatko

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Steve Baldwin <sbaldwin@b...> wrote:
      > I currently have my i4100 plugged in. The battery monitor shows
      it as
      > "Plugged in" with 95% charge. If I unplug it, the monitor shows
      it as
      > "Running on batteries" but the battery as 100% charged. Any ideas
      why ?

      > Also, if I leave it plugged in, it seems to eventually discharge
      to about
      > 75%, and then won't actually charge until I unplug it, and then
      plug it in
      > again.
      >
      > It also only shows (at best) about 2hrs48min of battery life. I
      have never
      > tested it, but expected 3+ hours.
      >
      > Is this normal behaviour, or symptoms of a dodgy battery or
      charger.

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Steve
    • Steve Baldwin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
        Try doing a suspend to ram (Fn-Esc), and leaving the machine connected to
        mains power overnight. Check what the power meter shows in the morning when
        you switch on. I think that's where I'm loosing power.

        Steve
      • Sanyu
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
          > Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
          > and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).

          That "scary" drop in display's brightness you've experienced should be
          caused by your BIOS settings (I can change this on my Inspiron 8100, I
          suppose you can do the same).
        • jacquesclouseau@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
            On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 06:27:15 -0000, you wrote:

            >Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
            >and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).

            It's set up to do that -- it's a power-saving feature, to make the battery
            last longer. You can change it in the BIOS, if you want, but you'll pay on
            battery life.

            Jacques
            jacquesclouseau@...
          • zdimcovic
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
              Thanks for your repsonses !

              I assumed that it is a way to manage the battery ... the point
              is that in WinXP this does *not* happen (sorry I did not make this
              clear). If it is still BIOS then WinXP must be doing something very
              ... 'specific' (since it maintains the brightness) ?

              I am not really very worried about it, have more immediate concerns
              ("LinkSys Etherfast" card's modem, mounting the CD-RW), but still
              wanted to clarify the statement for other people who may be reading
              this. (I have not tried to change this in BIOS though ...)
              It is most likely possible to change this behaviour, it looks like
              that arguments (to apmd) "change power" or "change battery" affect
              this (at the moment ... I consider the battery functional)

              Regarding the original posting: I consistently get 5 min difference
              in estimates when it runs on battery or on external power (with
              battery it shows 5 min less). This could have something to do with
              the above mentioned apmd's features ?

              Zlatko