Battery Life discrepancies

  • Steve Baldwin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2001
      I currently have my i4100 plugged in. The battery monitor shows it as
      "Plugged in" with 95% charge. If I unplug it, the monitor shows it as
      "Running on batteries" but the battery as 100% charged. Any ideas why ?

      Also, if I leave it plugged in, it seems to eventually discharge to about
      75%, and then won't actually charge until I unplug it, and then plug it in
      again.

      It also only shows (at best) about 2hrs48min of battery life. I have never
      tested it, but expected 3+ hours.

      Is this normal behaviour, or symptoms of a dodgy battery or charger.

      Thanks,

      Steve
    • langdalepl
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2001
        I have observed the 95==100 phenominon as well on my 4100. I think
        it's just an idiosyncracy in it's APM, which, as we have observed,
        this pretty wierd in many respects.

        I haven't seen the battery discharge itself when plugged in however.

        --phil

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Steve Baldwin <sbaldwin@b...> wrote:
        > I currently have my i4100 plugged in. The battery monitor shows it as
        > "Plugged in" with 95% charge. If I unplug it, the monitor shows it as
        > "Running on batteries" but the battery as 100% charged. Any ideas why ?
        >
        > Also, if I leave it plugged in, it seems to eventually discharge to
        about
        > 75%, and then won't actually charge until I unplug it, and then plug
        it in
        > again.
        >
        > It also only shows (at best) about 2hrs48min of battery life. I
        have never
        > tested it, but expected 3+ hours.
        >
        > Is this normal behaviour, or symptoms of a dodgy battery or charger.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steve
      • zdimcovic
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2001
          Similar 'jokes' here (Inspiron 4100, P-III 1.2, bought less than
          a month ago) :

          It is showing: 95 %, 2:53 minutes while plugged in and fully
          charged.
          Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
          and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).
          Plug it back in ... and it's right back at 2:53. I haven't yet
          followed the behaviour systematically ... like how it breathes
          when it is booted on battery. (I am about to actually configure
          everything I want in this box only now, had no time yet to play
          with it :( )
          Based on a few 'hard' uses of the battery (with WinXP) I am pretty
          certain that it can overshoot 3 hours (but have not actually tested
          it carefully).

          Zlatko

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Steve Baldwin <sbaldwin@b...> wrote:
          > I currently have my i4100 plugged in. The battery monitor shows
          it as
          > "Plugged in" with 95% charge. If I unplug it, the monitor shows
          it as
          > "Running on batteries" but the battery as 100% charged. Any ideas
          why ?

          > Also, if I leave it plugged in, it seems to eventually discharge
          to about
          > 75%, and then won't actually charge until I unplug it, and then
          plug it in
          > again.
          >
          > It also only shows (at best) about 2hrs48min of battery life. I
          have never
          > tested it, but expected 3+ hours.
          >
          > Is this normal behaviour, or symptoms of a dodgy battery or
          charger.

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Steve
        • Steve Baldwin
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
            Try doing a suspend to ram (Fn-Esc), and leaving the machine connected to
            mains power overnight. Check what the power meter shows in the morning when
            you switch on. I think that's where I'm loosing power.

            Steve
          • Sanyu
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
              > Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
              > and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).

              That "scary" drop in display's brightness you've experienced should be
              caused by your BIOS settings (I can change this on my Inspiron 8100, I
              suppose you can do the same).
            • jacquesclouseau@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
                On Tue, 01 Jan 2002 06:27:15 -0000, you wrote:

                >Pulling the plug caused a (scary) drop in display's brightness,
                >and the estimate drops to 2:48 (and the brightness stays lower).

                It's set up to do that -- it's a power-saving feature, to make the battery
                last longer. You can change it in the BIOS, if you want, but you'll pay on
                battery life.

                Jacques
                jacquesclouseau@...
              • zdimcovic
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 1, 2002
                  Thanks for your repsonses !

                  I assumed that it is a way to manage the battery ... the point
                  is that in WinXP this does *not* happen (sorry I did not make this
                  clear). If it is still BIOS then WinXP must be doing something very
                  ... 'specific' (since it maintains the brightness) ?

                  I am not really very worried about it, have more immediate concerns
                  ("LinkSys Etherfast" card's modem, mounting the CD-RW), but still
                  wanted to clarify the statement for other people who may be reading
                  this. (I have not tried to change this in BIOS though ...)
                  It is most likely possible to change this behaviour, it looks like
                  that arguments (to apmd) "change power" or "change battery" affect
                  this (at the moment ... I consider the battery functional)

                  Regarding the original posting: I consistently get 5 min difference
                  in estimates when it runs on battery or on external power (with
                  battery it shows 5 min less). This could have something to do with
                  the above mentioned apmd's features ?

                  Zlatko