Inspiron 4000 - display problem

  • nannapet
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2001
      Hi, I had Windows ME on my laptop but wanted to try to run Linux as
      well. I have installt Redhat 7.2 (whit dual boot) but some time the
      display turns black (gray or very light), so I cant see any thing. I
      then have to restart and try again. Some times this happens when I
      start Linux and sometimes when I am shutting it down. It never
      happens when I run Windows.
      I am very new to Linux so I have never tryed this before.
      My system is:Dell Inspiron 4000, Intel Pentium III 700 Mhz, 128MB RAM,
      14.1 inch TFT Active Matrix XGA Display (1024x768 maximum resolution),
      ATI Rage Mobility 128 2xAGP video controller with 8MB SGRAM.
      hope you can help
    • W.D.McKinney
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 30, 2001
        "nannapet" <nannapet@...> wrote:
        > Hi, I had Windows ME on my laptop but wanted to try to run Linux as
        > well. I have installt Redhat 7.2 (whit dual boot) but some time the
        > display turns black (gray or very light), so I cant see any thing. I
        > then have to restart and try again. Some times this happens when I
        > start Linux and sometimes when I am shutting it down. It never
        > happens when I run Windows.
        > I am very new to Linux so I have never tryed this before.
        > My system is:Dell Inspiron 4000, Intel Pentium III 700 Mhz, 128MB RAM,
        > 14.1 inch TFT Active Matrix XGA Display (1024x768 maximum resolution),
        > ATI Rage Mobility 128 2xAGP video controller with 8MB SGRAM.
        > hope you can help

        Hmmm.... I have same laptop, i4000 and no problems. I am running
        SuSE 7.3 Pro though and it has different driver most likely.
        What version of XFree86 are you running ?

        /Dee

        --
        W.D.McKinney (Dee)
        (907)349-4308 (Office)
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2002
          On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 00:34:00 -0000, you wrote:

          >Hi, I had Windows ME on my laptop but wanted to try to run Linux as
          >well. I have installt Redhat 7.2 (whit dual boot) but some time the
          >display turns black (gray or very light), so I cant see any thing. I
          >then have to restart and try again. Some times this happens when I
          >start Linux and sometimes when I am shutting it down. It never
          >happens when I run Windows.
          >I am very new to Linux so I have never tryed this before.
          >My system is:Dell Inspiron 4000, Intel Pentium III 700 Mhz, 128MB RAM,
          >14.1 inch TFT Active Matrix XGA Display (1024x768 maximum resolution),
          >ATI Rage Mobility 128 2xAGP video controller with 8MB SGRAM.
          >hope you can help

          I have the same setup, and it all works without any problems. The only
          difference might be that I use a program called System Commander 2000 to
          allow for dual-booting; what are you using? Not sure if that could make
          the difference, but maybe someone else knows.

          Jacques
          jacquesclouseau@...
        • benjamin_allanach
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2002
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "nannapet" <nannapet@y...> wrote:
            > Hi, I had Windows ME on my laptop but wanted to try to run Linux as
            > well. I have installt Redhat 7.2 (whit dual boot) but some time the
            > display turns black (gray or very light), so I cant see any thing. I
            > then have to restart and try again. Some times this happens when I
            > start Linux and sometimes when I am shutting it down. It never
            > happens when I run Windows.
            > I am very new to Linux so I have never tryed this before.
            > My system is:Dell Inspiron 4000, Intel Pentium III 700 Mhz, 128MB
            RAM,
            > 14.1 inch TFT Active Matrix XGA Display (1024x768 maximum
            resolution),
            > ATI Rage Mobility 128 2xAGP video controller with 8MB SGRAM.
            > hope you can help

            I seem to remember having the same problem when I used LILO.
            Luckily GRUB (which is nice) seemed to work fine.
            Good luck!
            Ben