Inspiron 800

  • brosario305
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2001
      I am having several issues with my Linux implementation on my laptop.

      I installed Linux 7.2. It seems to be working fine except:

      1. I have no sound but it seems like the OS has detected the
      correct sound card hardware.

      2. My modem does not work. I downloaded the ltmodem drivers using
      a W2K machine and put the files on a floppy. I am not able to read
      the contents of the floppy when I read the floppy on my laptop. How
      do I get Linux to read this floppy so I can install the modem
      drivers.

      3. If anyone has any information on running the modem please let me
      know.

      You can send me an email on the above issues to my email address.
      brosario305@...

      Help...
      Brian
    • Domsalla, Thorsten
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2001
        Hi,

        > I installed Linux 7.2. It seems to be working fine except:

        Hm, what Distribution?

        TJ
      • Ron Menelli
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2001
          On Sun, 2001-12-30 at 11:58, brosario305 wrote:
          > I am having several issues with my Linux implementation on my laptop.
          >
          > I installed Linux 7.2. It seems to be working fine except:

          I'm assuming you mean RedHat Linux 7.2. If not, what I'm going to say
          may not make sense...

          > 1. I have no sound but it seems like the OS has detected the
          > correct sound card hardware.

          How have you tested sound? Are you sure it isn't a simple problem your
          volume is turned down? you can run "aumix -v 100" to make sure your
          volume is maxed out.

          > 2. My modem does not work. I downloaded the ltmodem drivers using
          > a W2K machine and put the files on a floppy. I am not able to read
          > the contents of the floppy when I read the floppy on my laptop. How
          > do I get Linux to read this floppy so I can install the modem
          > drivers.

          Here are a few ways to get the files:

          1). If you're using RedHat's default GNOME desktop setup, right-click on
          the desktop, then select the Disks|Floppy. A window should pop up with
          the contents of your floppy.

          2). Or, run "mount /dev/fd0" as root then look in the directory
          /mnt/floppy. Your files should be there.

          3). Last but not least, use the mtools commands. For example, use "mdir
          a:" to look at the contents of the floppy, and "mcopy a:\*.\* ." to copy
          all files from the floppy to your current directory.

          > 3. If anyone has any information on running the modem please let me
          > know.

          Once you've built ltmodem, you should have a /dev/ttyLT0 device. Run "ln
          -s /dev/ttyLT0 /dev/modem". Then, you can run internet-druid to
          configure your dialup.

          -Ron
        • brosario305
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2001
            Thank you for all the help. I am able to view all the contents of
            my floppy and I can hear all my system sounds but I am not able to
            dial out.

            I have an Inspiron 8000. I installed Linux 7.2. I have the 3Com
            Mini PCI Modem/Ethernet combo card installed internally. I have
            tried installing several ltmodem drivers. I downloaded rpm files
            but I get kernel errors.

            Can someone please send me the correct driver for my machine and
            give me some instructions. I am a Linux newbie.

            Thanks,
            Brian

          • yukonmystery
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2001
              If you actually have the 3Com mini-PCI card as you say you do, you're
              toast. It's pretty wildly known that there is no Linux compatibility
              with the modem chipset on this card.

              If you can get your hands on an Actiontec mini-PCI card it will work.

              Cory