[linux-dell-laptops] Dell Inspiron 3500 w/ port replicator

  • pcrossma@silverbacktech.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 1999
      I just installed Linux on my brand new Dell Inspiron 3500 with a port
      replicator. When I run X on the laptop, it is fine, however when I
      smack it into the port replicator and boot up Linux, I can't get a
      display.

      Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this working? I'm tired of
      booting into windows.

      Thanks,
      Paul C.
    • khall@tertio.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 1999
        pcrossm-@... wrote:
        =90
        > I just installed Linux on my brand new Dell Inspiron 3500 with a port
        > replicator. When I run X on the laptop, it is fine, however when I
        > smack it into the port replicator and boot up Linux, I can't get a
        > display.
        >
        > Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this working? I'm tired of
        > booting into windows.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Paul C.

        Paul,

        As far as I know, you need to change the XF86Config file to run with
        laptops
        that are using an external monitor, as the Xserver appears to use the
        internal display if it is not commented out.

        I have created a script to switch between 2 preset configuration files
        on booting by detecting an interrupt that is only set up when I'm
        docked (the eth0
        interface for me). The docked version basically has the following
        device section in XF86Config:

        Section "Device"
        Identifier "My Video Card"
        VendorName "NeoMagic"
        BoardName "Unknown"
        #VideoRam 4096
        # Chipset "NM2200"
        # IOBase 0xfea00000
        # MemBase 0xfd000000
        # VideoRam 4096
        # DacSpeed 90
        # Option "linear"
        Option "nolinear"
        # Option "sw_cursor"
        # Option "hw_cursor"
        Option "no_accel"
        # Option "intern_disp" <-- comment here for docked
        Option "extern_disp"
        # Option "mmio"
        # Option "no_mmio"
        # Option "lcd_center"
        # Option "no_stretch"
        Clocks 25.18
        EndSection

        I hope this helps,

        Kev
      • pcrossma@silverbacktech.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
          khal-@... wrote:
          =91

          > Paul,
          >
          > As far as I know, you need to change the XF86Config file to run with
          > laptops
          > that are using an external monitor, as the Xserver appears to use the
          > internal display if it is not commented out.

          I have done this after reading your message. Thanks much. This works
          great!!!

          > I have created a script to switch between 2 preset configuration files
          > on booting by detecting an interrupt that is only set up when I'm
          > docked (the eth0
          > interface for me). The docked version basically has the following
          > device section in XF86Config:

          I'd be very interested in a copy of your script. Would you mind either
          emailing it to me or posting it here? However, I don't think it will
          work for me, as I have a lan at home and a lan at the office. For me
          eth0 is always on, but my laptop is not necessarilly connected to a
          monitor/dock. Could I modify your script to have the system ask me on
          boot up where I am? I'm not even sure if interactivity is possible
          during system boot up.

          Any thoughts?

          Paul C.