latitude ls

  • Adam Naples
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8 6:58 AM
      Hello, I recently purchased a refurb latitude ls for all sorts of work,
      I have heard enough horror stories with redhat to make me pause before
      installing. Are any other distributions more friendly for the ls, or has
      anyone got a method to really get the thing working without too much time
      investment?
      -an
    • simon@josefsson.org
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9 2:57 AM
        "Adam Naples" <ajn23@...> writes:

        > Hello, I recently purchased a refurb latitude ls for all sorts of work,
        > I have heard enough horror stories with redhat to make me pause before
        > installing. Are any other distributions more friendly for the ls, or has
        > anyone got a method to really get the thing working without too much time
        > investment?

        Redhat 6.2 installed without any problems for me, on a Latitude LSt.
        Even the winmodem seem to work. Sound does not work though, but as I
        understand it www.opensound.com will release working drivers soon.
      • paxstarr
        Message 3 of 10 , May 8, 2002
          Having problems installing red hat 7.0 on and ls. It seems to hang
          right at the end of the install.
        • Paul
          Message 4 of 10 , May 8, 2002
            Unless there is some good reason to use an old distribution, tt would
            be in your best interest to get Red Hat 7.2 or 7.3.

            paxstarr wrote:

            > Having problems installing red hat 7.0 on and ls. It seems to hang
            > right at the end of the install.
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 10 , May 8, 2002
              i agree...red hat 7.0 especially had a lot of problems.
              7.2 installed like a breeze for me (as did 7.1 for that matter). i'm going
              to be installing 7.3 next week..

              -steve

              --
              stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
              http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
              Message 6 of 10 , May 10, 2002
                Has anyone used rock linux on a Dell ?

                rock is a 'not for woozies' distro .. really neat! I dont want to start a
                distro war ... But redhat really is the windoze of GNU! (JJ)

                -dec
              • Stephen Lau
                Message 7 of 10 , May 10, 2002
                  ... depends on what you mean by windoze of GNU. :)
                  if you mean by market penetration, then yes...and i don't see this as being a bad thing necessarily.

                  if you mean by their security policies, then vehemently no. :) red hat is just as good as any other distro, it's
                  undisputedly the easiest to install... it just happens that it was one of the first around, and as such, has a large
                  following. they've never done me wrong, and i'll stick by it for my workstation installs.
                  (for server installs, i use debian)

                  -steve

                  --
                • jsc3@gtf.org
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 10, 2002
                    I agree. I make a good living as a Solaris consultant, and I wish Linux
                    had more penetration into the Fortune 500. I am building a Linux lab at
                    home (at least four PCs, with 44 ports of switch, and two quad port
                    10/100s each) to try out things such as Veritas Cluster Server 2.0,
                    Veritas File System and Veritas Volume Manager, and Oracle 8i Parallel
                    Server too for that matter. I will be using Redhat because more vendors
                    support it (at least in the USA) than any other distro; it is definitely
                    like Microsoft in that regard. If I was going to use another distro,
                    it would be SuSE because that has the most support in Europe.

                    By the way, and off topic, but if you want a GREAT deal on quad
                    port 10/100 cards that work with Linux, you can get Phobo P430TX
                    for $30.00 US each (brand new) from Surplus Computers:

                    http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_comp_inet4.html

                    These have genuine DEC/Intel 21143 Tulip chips, with an Intel 21152 PCI
                    bridge chip and Level Three PHYs. They won't fit in a laptop, but they
                    are great for clusters, routers, firewalls, etc.

                    Stephen Lau wrote:

                    > ... depends on what you mean by windoze of GNU. :)
                    > if you mean by market penetration, then yes...and i don't see this as being a bad thing necessarily.
                    >
                    > if you mean by their security policies, then vehemently no. :) red hat is just as good as any other distro, it's
                    > undisputedly the easiest to install... it just happens that it was one of the first around, and as such, has a large
                    > following. they've never done me wrong, and i'll stick by it for my workstation installs.
                    > (for server installs, i use debian)
                    >
                    > -steve
                    >
                    > On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 11:22:49PM +1000, Declan Ingram wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Has anyone used rock linux on a Dell ?
                    > >
                    > > rock is a 'not for woozies' distro .. really neat! I dont want to start a
                    > > distro war ... But redhat really is the windoze of GNU! (JJ)
                    > >
                    > > -dec
                    > >

                    > --
                    > stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
                    > http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl

                    John Cronin
                  • kev0153
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 10, 2002
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Declan Ingram" <dec@c...> wrote:

                      > Has anyone used rock linux on a Dell ?
                      >
                      > rock is a 'not for woozies' distro .. really neat! I dont want to
                      start a
                      > distro war ... But redhat really is the windoze of GNU! (JJ)
                      >
                      > -dec

                      You didn't want to but I think you did.
                    • Andrew
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 10, 2002
                        On Friday 10 May 2002 11:02 am, you wrote:
                        > ... depends on what you mean by windoze of GNU. :)
                        > if you mean by market penetration, then yes...and i don't see this as being
                        > a bad thing necessarily.
                        >
                        > if you mean by their security policies, then vehemently no. :) red hat is
                        > just as good as any other distro, it's undisputedly the easiest to
                        > install... it just happens that it was one of the first around, and as
                        > such, has a large following. they've never done me wrong, and i'll stick
                        > by it for my workstation installs. (for server installs, i use debian)
                        >
                        > -steve

                        I agree, but I also use RedHat for my "server"... mainly cuz I dont have the
                        bandwidth to download Debian :P
                        but I'll also take a look at Rock Linux...

                        --Andrew