[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell CPI, Neomagic 2200, X and a blank screen

  • khall@tertio.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 1999
      jdillwort-@... wrote:
      =85
      > Hi,
      > I'm trying to get a Dell Latitude CPi with a NeoMagic graphics
      chipset
      > up and running with RedHat 6.0. I have the latest X Server
      installed.
      > The rest of the install went fine, when I try and start X on the Lap
      > top I get a blank screen.
      > Below is my XF86Config and the boot log. Any ideas?
      >
      > ps with the standard XConfigurator file I managed to get the giant
      > 320x? resolution. Couldn't get out of that either

      Hi,

      I had a similar problem not long ago. The problem seemed to be that the
      system could not detect if the laptop was docked or not automatically,
      and
      so defaulted to the internal display even if docked.

      To get around this, I use 2 XF86Config files, one for docked one not.
      For the docked version, you need to comment out the intern_disp option
      in the section as below, and for undocked leave as your original. You
      can
      do this be either entering a virtual console window to switch over
      manually,
      or write a script to detect automatically. I wrote a small rc.docked
      file
      to check /proc/interrupts for an allocated interrup for eth0. If it
      exists, then the machine is docked so it runs the docked file.

      Hope this helps,

      Kev