Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 97

  • Ryan Marsh
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      To have gdm (graphical login) start after your system boots /etc/inittab
      needs to tell your system to (by default) boot to run level 5 (i.e. with
      X). The line in inittab looks like this:

      The last line in inittab would be the one that calls prefdm, which then
      loads your preferred dm (i.e. gdm, xdm, kdm).

      x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

      To find out which dm to use, prefdm greps /etc/sysconfig/desktop for one
      of the following entries:

      So X will start when your system boots and after it starts X it will run
      gdm for graphical login. When you login gdm will run
      /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Default which just points to /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
      which eventually runs....

      Theoretically all of the above should work out of the box.

      If you start X yourself using "startx" then all you need is an ~/.xinitrc
      with a line that says:
      gnome-session &

      Hope this helps. BTW, I REALLY want to get XFree 4 working on my
      Inspiron 7500. could you send me your XF86Config or at least tell the
      list how you got it to work? I had lots of trouble with all of the
      configuration apps for the XF86Config file.

      > Message: 8
      > Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 15:46:09 -0300
      > From: Bill O'Kane <wrokane@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: XFree86 4.0
      > On Tue, 01 Aug 2000, you wrote:
      > > thanks for this - filenames and details are correct, but gdm and xdm
      > > just startup GUI login screen. Beyond that it reverts to whatever
      > > is the default session manager. I've tracked down the control of the
      > > startup appls. and the all important session window manager to
      > >
      > > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc (or ~/.xinitrc)
      > >
      > > Replacing 'twm &' with 'gnome-wm &' now fires up the gnome
      > > window manager (this is the case for RH6.2 but may not be identical
      > > for other Linux variants), but i'm still missing the useful sliding
      > > bottom control panel thingy.
      > >
      > > Perhaps all this nonsense has something to do with XFree86 3.3.6
      > > -> 4.0 moving all that X11 stuff around? Whatever the reason,
      > > my next problem is that i still seem to be struggling with firing
      > > up a non default (e.g. 8 bit/pix) X display even though the
      > > XF86Config file is in much better shape. I'm using
      > >
      > > startx -- -bpp 8
      > >
      > > How can i check that this xinit actually happens ok (rather than
      > > reverting to the default e.g 24 bit)? I ask because 8bit applications
      > > are still misbehaving and the CTRL/ALT/F1 screen which nicely
      > > illustrates what is going on only displays the final part of the
      > > startup (is it logged anywhere or can it be saved to disk?)
      > Hello
      > Yes you can log it by adding >& /<outputfile>
      > This will capture both the output and the errors.
      > Example startx -- -bpp 8 >& /root/startx_log
      > Hope this helps
      > Bill

      -- Benjamin Franklin