Re: XFree86 4.0

  • Paul crowther
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
      heres a slightly different query on XFree86 4. I've just
      successfully upgraded my inspiron 3800 running RH6.2 to
      XFree86 4.01. All went well first time with ATI Mach64
      (i can provide details if there is any interest - 14in XGA screen),
      such that my pesky flickering columns have gone away and i can now
      boot up x with 8 bit/pix if i wish (neccessary for some work appl).

      However, firing up X now throws up the twm window manager
      instead of my previous gnome default. Anyone got an idea why
      this happened? or how to change my default back to gnome
      if i decide i want a windoze style manager with all the gadgets
      that it offers over twm? just how do i control which applications
      get started up by default for each window manager?

      ta
      pac
    • Arkaitz
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000

        On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 01:27:44PM -0000, Paul crowther wrote:

        > heres a slightly different query on XFree86 4. I've just
        > successfully upgraded my inspiron 3800 running RH6.2 to
        > XFree86 4.01. All went well first time with ATI Mach64
        > (i can provide details if there is any interest - 14in XGA screen),
        > such that my pesky flickering columns have gone away and i can now

        Does this mean that XFree86 4 fixes the problem of the flickering at 24 & 32 bpp
        in the Inspiron 3800?
        I can only make it work correctly at 16 bpp in RedHat 6.2

        Thanks,

        Arkaitz.