Re: Latitude LSt sound (nm256av/nm2200) freezes machine

  • dont@got.it
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2000
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, simon+egroups@j... wrote:
      > Hi, I recently bought a Latitude LSt and I can't seem to get sound
      > support working. I've upgraded BIOS to A04 since I noticed some
      > audio-related fixed, but no changes.
      > Dell web pages says this machine have a NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AZ
      > a AC97Codec but this doesn't seem right, when I boot it says 256AV.
      > Also, Win2000 device manager also says 256AV, and with a "NMA2
      > Redhat 6.2's sndconfig autodetect a MagicMedia 256AV (nm256.o) but
      > freeze the machine when it's loaded.
      > OSS/Free soundconf autodetect a MagicMedia NM2200 but also freeze
      > machine when it's loaded...
      > OSS/Free also did have a NM256AV NMA2 driver, but I've tried all
      > combinations of IRQ/DMA channels without luck. Neither Win2k nor
      > BIOS seem to print the IO address.
      > Here's /proc/pci:
      > Bus 1, device 0, function 1:
      > Multimedia audio controller: Neomagic Unknown device (rev 32).
      > Vendor id=10c8. Device id=8005.
      > Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 10.
      > Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf7800000 [0xf7800008].
      > Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfea00000 [0xfea00000].
      > Anyone with this machine?
      > There is a page at http://www.divisionbyzero.com/laptop/, but it
      > uses nm256 which just freeze my machine...
      > Any help appreicated.

      This problem is caused by the NM256 driver writing to registers that
      it shouldn't be under the Neomagic spec. I sat down with Dev Mazumdar
      of 4Front Technologies today personally and ascertained this fact.
      Fixing this problem involves modifying about 3 lines of code. I have
      the same notebook and had the same problem, however it is now fixed.
      Patched versions of the OSS/Commercial drivers should be up within a
      few days with OSS/Lite patches following shortly thereafter.