Anyone have pilot-link/pilot-xfer working?

  • Ron Menelli
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2001
      Hello all,

      I'm trying to get pilot-link and pilot-xfer working with my I8K / RH7.2
      system. I'm trying to sync my Palm over the serial port using
      pilot-xfer:

      pilot-xfer -b palm

      pilot-xfer will report that the first 8 or 10 databases are backed up
      OK, but then I get a message, either "Failed, unable to back up
      database" or "Weird packet" and the backup fails. I get similar results
      with gpilotd and evolution.

      In trying to debug this, I've made sure gpilotd is not running when
      using pilot-link and made sure /dev/pilot is symlinked to /dev/ttyS0. I
      can't figure out what else could be causing the problem. The same setup
      works fine under Win2k.

      Has anyone encountered this problem? Is anyone syncing a Palm over the
      serial port using RH7.2?

      Thanks,
      -Ron Menelli
      ron@...
    • Chris Mauricio
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2001
        Stephen and I had a conversation about this a few weeks ago- it MAY be a
        redhat thing, since it happens to both uf us on RH boxen, Stephen reports it
        works fine under Debian. I should let him tell it..

        I can confirm I had the same issues on my I8K runing stock kernels.
        I had similar issues as far back as RH 6.0 on a variety of Dell laptops,
        I4000 and an older I2500 can't confirm or deny on my 2100 as there is no
        serial nor IR port ;-)

        C.

        On Monday 03 December 2001 13:20, Ron Menelli wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm trying to get pilot-link and pilot-xfer working with my I8K / RH7.2
        > system. I'm trying to sync my Palm over the serial port using
        > pilot-xfer:
        >
        > pilot-xfer -b palm
        >
        > pilot-xfer will report that the first 8 or 10 databases are backed up
        > OK, but then I get a message, either "Failed, unable to back up
        > database" or "Weird packet" and the backup fails. I get similar results
        > with gpilotd and evolution.
        >
        > In trying to debug this, I've made sure gpilotd is not running when
        > using pilot-link and made sure /dev/pilot is symlinked to /dev/ttyS0. I
        > can't figure out what else could be causing the problem. The same setup
        > works fine under Win2k.
        >
        > Has anyone encountered this problem? Is anyone syncing a Palm over the
        > serial port using RH7.2?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -Ron Menelli
        > ron@...

      • Ryurick M. Hristev
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2001
          On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Chris Mauricio wrote:

          > Stephen and I had a conversation about this a few weeks ago- it MAY be a
          > redhat thing, since it happens to both uf us on RH boxen, Stephen reports it
          > works fine under Debian. I should let him tell it..
          >
          > I can confirm I had the same issues on my I8K runing stock kernels.
          > I had similar issues as far back as RH 6.0 on a variety of Dell laptops,
          > I4000 and an older I2500 can't confirm or deny on my 2100 as there is no
          > serial nor IR port ;-)

          RedHat 7.2, with all updates, pilot-link-0.9.5-8 works OK but on a desktop
          machine, I didn't try it on my I8k.

          [...]

          > > pilot-xfer -b palm

          Using pilot-xfer -P then pilot-xfer -s

          Cheers,
          --
          Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:r.hristev@...
          Computer Systems Manager
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2001
            Wanna hear another weird twist now? I setup Red Hat 7.2 on one of our
            engineer's I8K's - installed Ximian's Gnome Desktop with all the latest
            pilot-link stuff and evolution - and it works flawlessly. His
            datebook/contacts/etc. all synchronise up to Evolution...it's beautiful.
            I may bring my cradle home and try it out on my home I8K again now that
            the pilot-link packages have been updated.

            Oh yeah, and it's still working perfectly under my Debian I8K also
            running Ximian Gnome.

            -steve

          • danielg@ankylosaur.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 3, 2001
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Ron Menelli <ron@r...> wrote:
              > Hello all,
              >
              > I'm trying to get pilot-link and pilot-xfer working with my I8K / RH7.2
              > system. I'm trying to sync my Palm over the serial port using
              > pilot-xfer:
              >
              > pilot-xfer -b palm
              >
              > pilot-xfer will report that the first 8 or 10 databases are backed up
              > OK, but then I get a message, either "Failed, unable to back up
              > database" or "Weird packet" and the backup fails. I get similar results
              > with gpilotd and evolution.
              >
              > In trying to debug this, I've made sure gpilotd is not running when
              > using pilot-link and made sure /dev/pilot is symlinked to /dev/ttyS0. I
              > can't figure out what else could be causing the problem. The same setup
              > works fine under Win2k.
              >
              > Has anyone encountered this problem? Is anyone syncing a Palm over the
              > serial port using RH7.2?

              I'm running RH 7.1+ with a 2.4.14 kernel and I've backed up and played
              with the palm pilot with the stock stuff on this i8100 as well as with
              the kernel I'm running now. No problems at all. Occasionally I'll
              get an error message but that's about once a blue moon.

              I'm using jpilot (freshmeat has it) and it works like a charm.

              DanH
            • Ron Menelli
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 3, 2001
                On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 15:14, Stephen Lau wrote:
                > Wanna hear another weird twist now? I setup Red Hat 7.2 on one of our
                > engineer's I8K's - installed Ximian's Gnome Desktop with all the latest
                > pilot-link stuff and evolution - and it works flawlessly. His
                > datebook/contacts/etc. all synchronise up to Evolution...it's beautiful.
                > I may bring my cradle home and try it out on my home I8K again now that
                > the pilot-link packages have been updated.
                >
                > Oh yeah, and it's still working perfectly under my Debian I8K also
                > running Ximian Gnome.

                Doh! I'm running the latest Ximian stuff (today's release), too. I'm
                still getting errors when syncing.

                I'm wondering if any other tasks are messing with the serial port. Does
                anyone know how I might find out? I'm no Linux expert, unfortunately.

                Please let me know if you try it on your I8K at home.

                Thanks,
                -Ron

                > -steve
                >
                > On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:40:13PM -0800, Chris Mauricio wrote:
                > > Stephen and I had a conversation about this a few weeks ago- it MAY be a
                > > redhat thing, since it happens to both uf us on RH boxen, Stephen reports it
                > > works fine under Debian. I should let him tell it..
                > >
                > > I can confirm I had the same issues on my I8K runing stock kernels.
                > > I had similar issues as far back as RH 6.0 on a variety of Dell laptops,
                > > I4000 and an older I2500 can't confirm or deny on my 2100 as there is no
                > > serial nor IR port ;-)
                > >

                > > C.
                > >

                > > On Monday 03 December 2001 13:20, Ron Menelli wrote:
                > > > Hello all,
                > > >
                > > > I'm trying to get pilot-link and pilot-xfer working with my I8K / RH7.2
                > > > system. I'm trying to sync my Palm over the serial port using
                > > > pilot-xfer:
                > > >
                > > > pilot-xfer -b palm
                > > >
                > > > pilot-xfer will report that the first 8 or 10 databases are backed up
                > > > OK, but then I get a message, either "Failed, unable to back up
                > > > database" or "Weird packet" and the backup fails. I get similar results
                > > > with gpilotd and evolution.
                > > >
                > > > In trying to debug this, I've made sure gpilotd is not running when
                > > > using pilot-link and made sure /dev/pilot is symlinked to /dev/ttyS0. I
                > > > can't figure out what else could be causing the problem. The same setup
                > > > works fine under Win2k.
                > > >
                > > > Has anyone encountered this problem? Is anyone syncing a Palm over the
                > > > serial port using RH7.2?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > -Ron Menelli
                > > > ron@...

                > stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad student
                > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website
              • Stephen Lau
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2001
                  What other processes do you have running? Have you tried doing
                  `pilot-xfer -l` as root rather than as a user? What about bringing the
                  port speed down (change PILOTRATE)?

                  -steve

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 2001
                    After messing around with my configuration a while, I realized that
                    pilot-link actually worked if I was not running X. So, by process of
                    elimination, I found the culprit!

                    Surprisingly, it was Gnome's Battery Charge Monitor applet. I guess that
                    it screws up the serial port somehow, probably when it polls the battery
                    state every few minutes. Removing the applet from the panel allows
                    pilot-xfer to run just fine.

                    Can we get this in the FAQ?

                    Problem: I keep getting "Failed, unable to back up database" and/or
                    "Weird packet" messages when using pilot-link and pilot-xfer

                    Solution: Don't use the battery charge monitor applet!

                    -Ron