Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8000, Mandrake 8.1: S2D and Hibernate help

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2 3:14 PM
      Hey Stuart,
      It sounds like you will want to issue an `apm -S` to go into
      what the man page calls 'standby' mode (which is what hibernation is),
      whereas APM makes the distinction that 'suspend' is what we call suspend
      to ram. Anyhow, you probably want to map something in your window
      manager to make the call to `apm -S`.
      APM is "Advanced Power Management" and is probably what you want
      to be using. APIC is "Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller" and
      is a way of doing interrupt handling on-chip - this doesn't have
      anything to do with power management. ACPI is (to my knowledge) a new
      way of doing power management and is mutually exclusive with APM (i.e.:
      you can choose one or the other). From what I know, ACPI support is
      still experimental in the 2.4 kernel, so I'd be wary of using it.
      I had thought that to use APM you had to compile a kernel with
      support for it - I wasn't aware there was a way to do it without...maybe
      somebody else can enlighten me too on this. :)

      If you already have the s2d partition formatted, then I would
      try doing a standby (Fn-A on the I8K I think). If that works, then
      you're all set. You may want to check your suspend scripts to make sure
      it resets the network/sound modules upon resume. Also make sure
      DRI/agpgart aren't loaded/compiled into your kernel before you suspend.
      That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

      -steve

    • stuart@bh90210.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2 4:48 PM
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
        > Hey Stuart,
        > It sounds like you will want to issue an `apm -S` to go into
        > what the man page calls 'standby' mode (which is what hibernation
        is),
        > whereas APM makes the distinction that 'suspend' is what we call
        suspend
        > to ram. Anyhow, you probably want to map something in your window
        > manager to make the call to `apm -S`.

        When you say "map something in your window manager", you mean a
        particular key map to do the "apm -S" for me?

        How difficult is it to do this (a key remapping)? I never have done
        this.

        > APM is "Advanced Power Management" and is probably what you
        want
        > to be using. APIC is "Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller"
        and
        > is a way of doing interrupt handling on-chip - this doesn't have
        > anything to do with power management. ACPI is (to my knowledge) a
        new
        > way of doing power management and is mutually exclusive with APM
        (i.e.:
        > you can choose one or the other). From what I know, ACPI support
        is
        > still experimental in the 2.4 kernel, so I'd be wary of using it.
        > I had thought that to use APM you had to compile a kernel
        with
        > support for it - I wasn't aware there was a way to do it
        without...maybe
        > somebody else can enlighten me too on this. :)

        Okay, so then I will compile APM into the kernel, and disable ACPI.

        > If you already have the s2d partition formatted, then I would
        > try doing a standby (Fn-A on the I8K I think). If that works, then
        > you're all set. You may want to check your suspend scripts to
        make sure

        I used lphdisk to format the s2d partition, and someone else told me
        today that lphdisk is only for those with Pheonix BIOSes? I have an
        I8K, which as we all know does not have a Pheonix BIOS in it, it has
        something else (I dont know off hand).

        I read the FAQ, but it was kind of unclear as to what or how is best
        to format the S2D partition. I am going on Dell's website to try to
        find any of these utilities, I dont (think) I have them at all.

        I am presuming at this point that tht lphdisk formatting was a waste
        of time. I admit, I was kind of bummed out to know that it was
        necessary to waste a primary partition for hibernation. You'd think
        Linux could hibernate to a file, W2K and XP DO!?! Why can't we?

        > it resets the network/sound modules upon resume. Also make sure
        > DRI/agpgart aren't loaded/compiled into your kernel before you
        suspend.
        > That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

        Do you have any examples of resume / suspend scripts which do
        reinitiate the network / sound modules, etc.?

        I was told that DRI is VERY slow on the I8000, and not worth the
        hastle, is that true? How difficult is it to install and try out
        DRI? From what I understand DRI is a way to speed up the graphics
        when using X/Windows...no?

        Stuart
        Beverly Hills, CA
        USA
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2 5:01 PM
          On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 12:48:47AM -0000, stuart@... wrote:
          > When you say "map something in your window manager", you mean a
          > particular key map to do the "apm -S" for me?
          >
          > How difficult is it to do this (a key remapping)? I never have done
          > this.

          Which window manager do you use? If you're using GNOME with Sawfish, go
          to the Control Center->Sawfish->Shortcut Keys, it's self-explanator from
          there. If you're KDE, then go to the menu editor and define a new menu
          entry for 'Standby' and tell it to run 'apm -S', and assign it the
          shortcut key you want. If you're using some other WM, then I dunno..
          :-P

          > I used lphdisk to format the s2d partition, and someone else told me
          > today that lphdisk is only for those with Pheonix BIOSes? I have an
          > I8K, which as we all know does not have a Pheonix BIOS in it, it has
          > something else (I dont know off hand).
          >
          > I read the FAQ, but it was kind of unclear as to what or how is best
          > to format the S2D partition. I am going on Dell's website to try to
          > find any of these utilities, I dont (think) I have them at all.

          Yeah, this baffles me too. A number of people reported failure with
          mks2d, but reported success with phdisk. Another number of people
          reported failure with phdisk, but success with mks2d - I can't make out
          any rhyme or reason to it. For what it's worth, I couldn't get either
          of 'em working on my system. :P mks2d freezes, and phdisk works - but
          my BIOS says it can't find a suspend partition when I try to suspend.

          > I am presuming at this point that tht lphdisk formatting was a waste
          > of time. I admit, I was kind of bummed out to know that it was
          > necessary to waste a primary partition for hibernation. You'd think
          > Linux could hibernate to a file, W2K and XP DO!?! Why can't we?

          beats me... but i wish we could hibernate to a file too...

          > Do you have any examples of resume / suspend scripts which do
          > reinitiate the network / sound modules, etc.?

          What distribution are you using? If you're using Red Hat, then
          /etc/sysconfig/apmd contains settings for APM, three of which are to
          reset sound, network, and pcmcia upon resume. Mandrake is probably the
          same way. I'm not sure how SuSE does it..

          > I was told that DRI is VERY slow on the I8000, and not worth the
          > hastle, is that true? How difficult is it to install and try out
          > DRI? From what I understand DRI is a way to speed up the graphics
          > when using X/Windows...no?

          Whoa..where'd you hear that? DRI on my I8K is very very fast. All my
          OpenGL apps run MUCH MUCH faster (with less CPU load) with DRI enabled.
          To enable it, make sure your kernel is compiling the agpgart and r128
          modules (in Character Devices, you'll see the options for them - listed
          as "/dev/agpgart (AGP support)" and "Direct Rendering Manager" (make
          sure you select ATI Rage 128)). Compile them as modules... then go into
          your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and make sure it loads the following modules:
          dri, GLcore, glx. Then somewhere in your XF86Config-4 file, have
          something like:

          Section "DRI"
          Mode 0666
          EndSection

          This tells the X server to allow users to access the DRI functions,
          instead of only allowing root. After this you should be all set...you
          can run glxgears for a benchmark, or glxinfo for some info on your
          DRI/glx stuff. If everything is set right you should be able to run
          tuxracer, xmms opengl vis apps, etc. much faster and smoother (well,
          that was the effect for me, anyway).

          Also, a note: I was never able to get this working on older kernels, I
          remember trying up to 2.4.10, and having problems with it. Somewhere
          along the line it got fixed, as I'm running 2.4.16 and it works
          beautifully now.

          cheers,
          steve

        • John Timmers
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2 7:29 PM

            ============= snipped =======================
            > This tells the X server to allow users to access the DRI functions,
            > instead of only allowing root. After this you should be all set...you
            > can run glxgears for a benchmark, or glxinfo for some info on your
            > DRI/glx stuff. If everything is set right you should be able to run
            > tuxracer, xmms opengl vis apps, etc. much faster and smoother (well,
            > that was the effect for me, anyway).
            >
            > Also, a note: I was never able to get this working on older kernels, I
            > remember trying up to 2.4.10, and having problems with it. Somewhere
            > along the line it got fixed, as I'm running 2.4.16 and it works
            > beautifully now.
            >
            > cheers,
            > steve

            Just a bit off-topic, but I couldn't help but share what I've done in the past couple of days, that has give me a speedier i8000.

            I went to http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/ and installed the patch for
            2.4.16 (got that a couple of days ago, too) and then compiled a custom
            kernel with that, and was pleasantly surprised at the results. No
            actual benchmarks that I can report (although the author of that patch
            has them on his site), just common everyday usage seems to give me the
            impression that I've got a very snappy laptop now :-)

            And BTW, apm, dri, irda, and all the rest of that good stuff still works
            perfectly with the patched kernel

            ...now back to your regularily scheduled programming....
            --
            Regards:
            _/
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7 4:35 PM
              hi all,

              Stephen, I was looking at your screenshots on whacked.net and was wondering
              if you could post some of your backgrounds? I have been looking for a nice
              background (1400 x 1050) ...

              dec
            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 8 5:48 PM
                Hi,
                Sure thing...

                http://www.whacked.net/bg1.jpg
                http://www.whacked.net/bg2.jpg
                http://www.whacked.net/bg3.jpg
                http://www.whacked.net/bg4.jpg
                http://www.whacked.net/bg5.jpg

                I have a bunch more on my computer at work, let me know if you
                want to see more...

                cheers,
                steve

                On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:05:16AM +1030, Declan Ingram wrote:
                > hi all,
                >
                > Stephen, I was looking at your screenshots on whacked.net and was wondering
                > if you could post some of your backgrounds? I have been looking for a nice
                > background (1400 x 1050) ...
                >
                > dec

              • michael carr
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 8 9:41 PM
                  those wallpapers rock!!

                  mikey >;)
                  --- Stephen Lau <slau@...> wrote:
                  > Hi,
                  > Sure thing...
                  >
                  > http://www.whacked.net/bg1.jpg
                  > http://www.whacked.net/bg2.jpg
                  > http://www.whacked.net/bg3.jpg
                  > http://www.whacked.net/bg4.jpg
                  > http://www.whacked.net/bg5.jpg
                  >
                  > I have a bunch more on my computer at work, let me know if you
                  > want to see more...
                  >
                  > cheers,
                  > steve
                  >

                  > On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:05:16AM +1030, Declan Ingram wrote:
                  > > hi all,
                  > >
                  > > Stephen, I was looking at your screenshots on whacked.net and was
                  > wondering
                  > > if you could post some of your backgrounds? I have been looking for
                  > a nice
                  > > background (1400 x 1050) ...
                  > >
                  > > dec

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  > >

                  > --
                  > stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
                  > student
                  > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website

                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                • Declan Ingram
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 9 3:06 AM
                    cheers man... they are great!

                    ~dec

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 10 11:04 PM
                      for anyone who cares. :) i updated my home screenshot at the following
                      location:

                      http://www.whacked.net/screen-2.jpg

                      ximian gnome 1.4, sawfish, mozilla-modern-2 theme (with xmms skin),
                      transparent gkrellm, gaim, and of course the cute lovable pingus running
                      everywhere.

                      -steve

                      On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 09:36:32PM +1030, Declan Ingram wrote:
                      > cheers man... they are great!
                      >
                      > ~dec

                    • airforcekiran
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 11 4:01 AM
                        Wow I am really impressed! I love it. Now I have ideas for my setup.