Inspiron 8000, Mandrake 8.1: S2D and Hibernate help

  • stuart@bh90210.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
      Linux Dell Users:

      I have now decided that I am interested to setup hibernation mode (or
      suspend to disk) on my machine.

      What first did was make room on my hard drive for a 546MB primary
      partition, and formatted it using lphdisk (elf-disk, as the author
      says it is to be pronounced).

      I have 32MB of Video RAM, 512MB of system RAM.

      This is all I have done thus far.

      What I am really interested in is hibernation, rather than suspend to
      disk. If I had a choice, I would not wish the computer to "suspend"
      predicated on inactivity, but for me to be able to shut it down in a
      hibernate state, and bring it back up right where I left off.

      What kernel modifications must I make?

      What is the differences between APM, ACPI, and APIC?

      I have been told there is also a "hibernation patch"?

      I am not as interested in suspending when power is low, or such, as my
      laptop rarely runs on battery, but it would be useful to have that
      feature available when I needed it. I have been told there are ways to
      do this WITHOUT needing to compile in APM support, which is the way I
      would rather to do it.

      Mostly I just wish to hibernate in the same manner which W2K or XP
      does, take an action (press a key whatnot), and suspend to a file or
      partition (a file preferably).

      Any ideas?

      Stuart
      Beverly Hills, CA
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hey Stuart,
        It sounds like you will want to issue an `apm -S` to go into
        what the man page calls 'standby' mode (which is what hibernation is),
        whereas APM makes the distinction that 'suspend' is what we call suspend
        to ram. Anyhow, you probably want to map something in your window
        manager to make the call to `apm -S`.
        APM is "Advanced Power Management" and is probably what you want
        to be using. APIC is "Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller" and
        is a way of doing interrupt handling on-chip - this doesn't have
        anything to do with power management. ACPI is (to my knowledge) a new
        way of doing power management and is mutually exclusive with APM (i.e.:
        you can choose one or the other). From what I know, ACPI support is
        still experimental in the 2.4 kernel, so I'd be wary of using it.
        I had thought that to use APM you had to compile a kernel with
        support for it - I wasn't aware there was a way to do it without...maybe
        somebody else can enlighten me too on this. :)

        If you already have the s2d partition formatted, then I would
        try doing a standby (Fn-A on the I8K I think). If that works, then
        you're all set. You may want to check your suspend scripts to make sure
        it resets the network/sound modules upon resume. Also make sure
        DRI/agpgart aren't loaded/compiled into your kernel before you suspend.
        That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

        -steve

      • stuart@bh90210.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
          > Hey Stuart,
          > It sounds like you will want to issue an `apm -S` to go into
          > what the man page calls 'standby' mode (which is what hibernation
          is),
          > whereas APM makes the distinction that 'suspend' is what we call
          suspend
          > to ram. Anyhow, you probably want to map something in your window
          > manager to make the call to `apm -S`.

          When you say "map something in your window manager", you mean a
          particular key map to do the "apm -S" for me?

          How difficult is it to do this (a key remapping)? I never have done
          this.

          > APM is "Advanced Power Management" and is probably what you
          want
          > to be using. APIC is "Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller"
          and
          > is a way of doing interrupt handling on-chip - this doesn't have
          > anything to do with power management. ACPI is (to my knowledge) a
          new
          > way of doing power management and is mutually exclusive with APM
          (i.e.:
          > you can choose one or the other). From what I know, ACPI support
          is
          > still experimental in the 2.4 kernel, so I'd be wary of using it.
          > I had thought that to use APM you had to compile a kernel
          with
          > support for it - I wasn't aware there was a way to do it
          without...maybe
          > somebody else can enlighten me too on this. :)

          Okay, so then I will compile APM into the kernel, and disable ACPI.

          > If you already have the s2d partition formatted, then I would
          > try doing a standby (Fn-A on the I8K I think). If that works, then
          > you're all set. You may want to check your suspend scripts to
          make sure

          I used lphdisk to format the s2d partition, and someone else told me
          today that lphdisk is only for those with Pheonix BIOSes? I have an
          I8K, which as we all know does not have a Pheonix BIOS in it, it has
          something else (I dont know off hand).

          I read the FAQ, but it was kind of unclear as to what or how is best
          to format the S2D partition. I am going on Dell's website to try to
          find any of these utilities, I dont (think) I have them at all.

          I am presuming at this point that tht lphdisk formatting was a waste
          of time. I admit, I was kind of bummed out to know that it was
          necessary to waste a primary partition for hibernation. You'd think
          Linux could hibernate to a file, W2K and XP DO!?! Why can't we?

          > it resets the network/sound modules upon resume. Also make sure
          > DRI/agpgart aren't loaded/compiled into your kernel before you
          suspend.
          > That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

          Do you have any examples of resume / suspend scripts which do
          reinitiate the network / sound modules, etc.?

          I was told that DRI is VERY slow on the I8000, and not worth the
          hastle, is that true? How difficult is it to install and try out
          DRI? From what I understand DRI is a way to speed up the graphics
          when using X/Windows...no?

          Stuart
          Beverly Hills, CA
          USA
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
            On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 12:48:47AM -0000, stuart@... wrote:
            > When you say "map something in your window manager", you mean a
            > particular key map to do the "apm -S" for me?
            >
            > How difficult is it to do this (a key remapping)? I never have done
            > this.

            Which window manager do you use? If you're using GNOME with Sawfish, go
            to the Control Center->Sawfish->Shortcut Keys, it's self-explanator from
            there. If you're KDE, then go to the menu editor and define a new menu
            entry for 'Standby' and tell it to run 'apm -S', and assign it the
            shortcut key you want. If you're using some other WM, then I dunno..
            :-P

            > I used lphdisk to format the s2d partition, and someone else told me
            > today that lphdisk is only for those with Pheonix BIOSes? I have an
            > I8K, which as we all know does not have a Pheonix BIOS in it, it has
            > something else (I dont know off hand).
            >
            > I read the FAQ, but it was kind of unclear as to what or how is best
            > to format the S2D partition. I am going on Dell's website to try to
            > find any of these utilities, I dont (think) I have them at all.

            Yeah, this baffles me too. A number of people reported failure with
            mks2d, but reported success with phdisk. Another number of people
            reported failure with phdisk, but success with mks2d - I can't make out
            any rhyme or reason to it. For what it's worth, I couldn't get either
            of 'em working on my system. :P mks2d freezes, and phdisk works - but
            my BIOS says it can't find a suspend partition when I try to suspend.

            > I am presuming at this point that tht lphdisk formatting was a waste
            > of time. I admit, I was kind of bummed out to know that it was
            > necessary to waste a primary partition for hibernation. You'd think
            > Linux could hibernate to a file, W2K and XP DO!?! Why can't we?

            beats me... but i wish we could hibernate to a file too...

            > Do you have any examples of resume / suspend scripts which do
            > reinitiate the network / sound modules, etc.?

            What distribution are you using? If you're using Red Hat, then
            /etc/sysconfig/apmd contains settings for APM, three of which are to
            reset sound, network, and pcmcia upon resume. Mandrake is probably the
            same way. I'm not sure how SuSE does it..

            > I was told that DRI is VERY slow on the I8000, and not worth the
            > hastle, is that true? How difficult is it to install and try out
            > DRI? From what I understand DRI is a way to speed up the graphics
            > when using X/Windows...no?

            Whoa..where'd you hear that? DRI on my I8K is very very fast. All my
            OpenGL apps run MUCH MUCH faster (with less CPU load) with DRI enabled.
            To enable it, make sure your kernel is compiling the agpgart and r128
            modules (in Character Devices, you'll see the options for them - listed
            as "/dev/agpgart (AGP support)" and "Direct Rendering Manager" (make
            sure you select ATI Rage 128)). Compile them as modules... then go into
            your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and make sure it loads the following modules:
            dri, GLcore, glx. Then somewhere in your XF86Config-4 file, have
            something like:

            Section "DRI"
            Mode 0666
            EndSection

            This tells the X server to allow users to access the DRI functions,
            instead of only allowing root. After this you should be all set...you
            can run glxgears for a benchmark, or glxinfo for some info on your
            DRI/glx stuff. If everything is set right you should be able to run
            tuxracer, xmms opengl vis apps, etc. much faster and smoother (well,
            that was the effect for me, anyway).

            Also, a note: I was never able to get this working on older kernels, I
            remember trying up to 2.4.10, and having problems with it. Somewhere
            along the line it got fixed, as I'm running 2.4.16 and it works
            beautifully now.

            cheers,
            steve

          • John Timmers
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001

              ============= snipped =======================
              > This tells the X server to allow users to access the DRI functions,
              > instead of only allowing root. After this you should be all set...you
              > can run glxgears for a benchmark, or glxinfo for some info on your
              > DRI/glx stuff. If everything is set right you should be able to run
              > tuxracer, xmms opengl vis apps, etc. much faster and smoother (well,
              > that was the effect for me, anyway).
              >
              > Also, a note: I was never able to get this working on older kernels, I
              > remember trying up to 2.4.10, and having problems with it. Somewhere
              > along the line it got fixed, as I'm running 2.4.16 and it works
              > beautifully now.
              >
              > cheers,
              > steve

              Just a bit off-topic, but I couldn't help but share what I've done in the past couple of days, that has give me a speedier i8000.

              I went to http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/ and installed the patch for
              2.4.16 (got that a couple of days ago, too) and then compiled a custom
              kernel with that, and was pleasantly surprised at the results. No
              actual benchmarks that I can report (although the author of that patch
              has them on his site), just common everyday usage seems to give me the
              impression that I've got a very snappy laptop now :-)

              And BTW, apm, dri, irda, and all the rest of that good stuff still works
              perfectly with the patched kernel

              ...now back to your regularily scheduled programming....
              --
              Regards:
              _/
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2001
                hi all,

                Stephen, I was looking at your screenshots on whacked.net and was wondering
                if you could post some of your backgrounds? I have been looking for a nice
                background (1400 x 1050) ...

                dec
              • Stephen Lau
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 8, 2001
                  Sure thing...

                  http://www.whacked.net/bg1.jpg
                  http://www.whacked.net/bg2.jpg
                  http://www.whacked.net/bg3.jpg
                  http://www.whacked.net/bg4.jpg
                  http://www.whacked.net/bg5.jpg

                  I have a bunch more on my computer at work, let me know if you
                  want to see more...

                  cheers,
                  steve

                  On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:05:16AM +1030, Declan Ingram wrote:
                  > hi all,
                  >
                  > Stephen, I was looking at your screenshots on whacked.net and was wondering
                  > if you could post some of your backgrounds? I have been looking for a nice
                  > background (1400 x 1050) ...
                  >
                  > dec

                • michael carr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 8, 2001
                    those wallpapers rock!!

                    mikey >;)
                    --- Stephen Lau <slau@...> wrote:
                    > Hi,
                    > Sure thing...
                    >
                    > http://www.whacked.net/bg1.jpg
                    > http://www.whacked.net/bg2.jpg
                    > http://www.whacked.net/bg3.jpg
                    > http://www.whacked.net/bg4.jpg
                    > http://www.whacked.net/bg5.jpg
                    >
                    > I have a bunch more on my computer at work, let me know if you
                    > want to see more...
                    >
                    > cheers,
                    > steve
                    >

                    > On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:05:16AM +1030, Declan Ingram wrote:
                    > > hi all,
                    > >
                    > > Stephen, I was looking at your screenshots on whacked.net and was
                    > wondering
                    > > if you could post some of your backgrounds? I have been looking for
                    > a nice
                    > > background (1400 x 1050) ...
                    > >
                    > > dec

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    > >

                    > --
                    > stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
                    > student
                    > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website

                    http://greetings.yahoo.com
                  • Declan Ingram
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 9, 2001
                      cheers man... they are great!

                      ~dec

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 10, 2001
                        for anyone who cares. :) i updated my home screenshot at the following
                        location:

                        http://www.whacked.net/screen-2.jpg

                        ximian gnome 1.4, sawfish, mozilla-modern-2 theme (with xmms skin),
                        transparent gkrellm, gaim, and of course the cute lovable pingus running
                        everywhere.

                        -steve

                        On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 09:36:32PM +1030, Declan Ingram wrote:
                        > cheers man... they are great!
                        >
                        > ~dec

                      • airforcekiran
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 11, 2001
                          Wow I am really impressed! I love it. Now I have ideas for my setup.