Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Help! i8100 LT modem + soundcard

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2 1:45 PM
      On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 08:23:39PM -0000, Bruce.Wijngaarden@... wrote:
      > The sound server will continue, using the null output device".
      > Does anybody know how to fix this?

      What happens when you type `modprobe maestro3` at the command line?
      What do your system logs say?

      > Unrelated problem: I can read the primary (windows 2000 / FAT32)
      > partition without problem, but I can't cd, link or write to it except
      > as root. How do I change the privileges for the entire drive?

      Make sure when you mount it, you pass the flag 'rw' as an option to
      mount to make sure it mounts it as read-write rather than read-only.

      -steve

    • Bruce.Wijngaarden@cern.ch
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3 2:37 PM
        wrote:
        > > The sound server will continue, using the null output device".
        > > Does anybody know how to fix this?
        >
        > What happens when you type `modprobe maestro3` at the command line?
        > What do your system logs say?

        # modprobe maestro3 gives no response. However, I tried to piece
        together a little more information. Unfortunately I don't know enough
        about linux yet to know what everything means or what to do about
        it... The modem is on device ttyLT00 at 0xe400, IRQ 10.

        [from /var/log/messages]
        Dec 3 22:08:08 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
        sound-service-1-0
        Dec 3 22:08:08 localhost modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
        sound-service-1-0
        Dec 3 22:08:25 localhost kernel: maestro3: version 1.22 built at
        17:37:05 Sep
        6 2001
        Dec 3 22:08:25 localhost kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 02:03.0
        Dec 3 22:08:25 localhost kernel: maestro3: Configuring ESS Maestro3
        (i) found at IO 0xEC00 IRQ 5
        Dec 3 22:08:25 localhost kernel: maestro3: subvendor id: 0x00e61028
        Dec 3 22:08:25 localhost kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id:
        0x8384:0x7609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23)

        [from executing modprobe -c | grep sound]
        path[sound]=/lib/modules/sound
        alias char-major-14 soundcore
        alias sound-slot-0 maestro3
        alias sound-slot-1 audio
        post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
        >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
        pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
        >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
        post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
        >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
        pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
        >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

        [from logwatch mailed to root]
        --------------------- ModProbe Begin ------------------------

        Can't locate these modules:
        ppp0: 4 Time(s)

        **Unmatched Entries**
        modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-1: 1 Time(s)
        modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-6: 1 Time(s)
        modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-1-0: 14 Time(s)
        modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-1: 6 Time(s)

        N.B. I will probably do the installation again as there seems to be a
        problem with the KDE konsole right now. It's not as if I had
        installed anything else yet, so not much is lost...

        Bram