Re: [linux-dell-laptops] I8k, Mandrake 8.1 and Nvidea...

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      You need to have XFree 4.1.0... if you look at my FAQ
      (http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq) i list a couple good walk-throughs for
      installing the G2Go stuff on the I8K & I8.1K at the bottom.

      -steve

      On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 03:43:51AM -0000, cynon83@... wrote:
      > I have tracked down several scattered posts about trying to get
      > Mandrake 8.1 to play nice with an Nvidea Gforce2go on an I8K.
      > I have been unable to get XWindows to work with thevideo card.
      >
      > Trying to put together some of the information has been difficult,
      > especially for a pretty novice Linux user. I went to the Nvidea
      > website and the drivers that they had there stated specifically that
      > they would not work on the Geforce2Go and you had to go to the Dell
      > site. But I didn't get very much usefull info there.
      >
      > I do have XFree v4.0.2 (I think that's the one that's needed.)
      >
      > Is there a concise, complete FAQ that I could referance that would
      > help me get this to work. Or does someone have a step by step
      > explaination. Experimentation with lots of different settings hasn't
      > gotten me too far. Some people have mentioned kernal recompiles, some
      > just adding certain RPMs and I'm a bit lost.
      >
      > Thanks for help-

    • Mike Meklenschek
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
        Can someone give me a little advice? I have read
        through many posts on the CPORT II/External monitor
        problem but am still not able to fix this problem.
        Can someone help a newbi?

        Mike

        Build your own website in minutes and for free at http://ca.geocities.com
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
          1) Make sure you're running X 4.1.0
          2) Add the line: 'Option "Display" "BIOS"' to your device section
          (remove the single quotes)

          that's it. it works on the ATI video, I haven't had any confirmation
          from anyone w/ G2Go cards yet as to whether it works with those.
          -steve

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2001
            Hello,

            I was wondering if anyone has tried to install
            SuSe 7.3 from FTP after DLing all 6gig of files from a
            mirror site to a local ftp server. Please let me know
            as I would like to install it. Thank you.

            Mike

          • z3non
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 10, 2001
              Hello Mike,

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Mike Meklenschek <mmeklenschek@y...>
              wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > I was wondering if anyone has tried to install
              > SuSe 7.3 from FTP after DLing all 6gig of files from a
              > mirror site to a local ftp server. Please let me know
              > as I would like to install it. Thank you.

              It worked on my Inspiron 4100 with a SuSE 7.2 CD1. But it should work
              with any SuSE-Version CD1. Simply start manual setup (yast), there
              have to load the appropriate NIC-Driver, configure the FTP-Server, and
              on you go ...

              Tom