I8k, Mandrake 8.1 and Nvidea...

  • cynon83@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
      I have tracked down several scattered posts about trying to get
      Mandrake 8.1 to play nice with an Nvidea Gforce2go on an I8K.
      I have been unable to get XWindows to work with thevideo card.

      Trying to put together some of the information has been difficult,
      especially for a pretty novice Linux user. I went to the Nvidea
      website and the drivers that they had there stated specifically that
      they would not work on the Geforce2Go and you had to go to the Dell
      site. But I didn't get very much usefull info there.

      I do have XFree v4.0.2 (I think that's the one that's needed.)

      Is there a concise, complete FAQ that I could referance that would
      help me get this to work. Or does someone have a step by step
      explaination. Experimentation with lots of different settings hasn't
      gotten me too far. Some people have mentioned kernal recompiles, some
      just adding certain RPMs and I'm a bit lost.

      Thanks for help-
    • Stephen Lau
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2001
        You need to have XFree 4.1.0... if you look at my FAQ
        (http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq) i list a couple good walk-throughs for
        installing the G2Go stuff on the I8K & I8.1K at the bottom.

        -steve

        On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 03:43:51AM -0000, cynon83@... wrote:
        > I have tracked down several scattered posts about trying to get
        > Mandrake 8.1 to play nice with an Nvidea Gforce2go on an I8K.
        > I have been unable to get XWindows to work with thevideo card.
        >
        > Trying to put together some of the information has been difficult,
        > especially for a pretty novice Linux user. I went to the Nvidea
        > website and the drivers that they had there stated specifically that
        > they would not work on the Geforce2Go and you had to go to the Dell
        > site. But I didn't get very much usefull info there.
        >
        > I do have XFree v4.0.2 (I think that's the one that's needed.)
        >
        > Is there a concise, complete FAQ that I could referance that would
        > help me get this to work. Or does someone have a step by step
        > explaination. Experimentation with lots of different settings hasn't
        > gotten me too far. Some people have mentioned kernal recompiles, some
        > just adding certain RPMs and I'm a bit lost.
        >
        > Thanks for help-

      • Mike Meklenschek
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
          Can someone give me a little advice? I have read
          through many posts on the CPORT II/External monitor
          problem but am still not able to fix this problem.
          Can someone help a newbi?

          Mike

          Build your own website in minutes and for free at http://ca.geocities.com
        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2001
            1) Make sure you're running X 4.1.0
            2) Add the line: 'Option "Display" "BIOS"' to your device section
            (remove the single quotes)

            that's it. it works on the ATI video, I haven't had any confirmation
            from anyone w/ G2Go cards yet as to whether it works with those.
            -steve

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2001
              Hello,

              I was wondering if anyone has tried to install
              SuSe 7.3 from FTP after DLing all 6gig of files from a
              mirror site to a local ftp server. Please let me know
              as I would like to install it. Thank you.

              Mike

            • z3non
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 10, 2001
                Hello Mike,

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Mike Meklenschek <mmeklenschek@y...>
                wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > I was wondering if anyone has tried to install
                > SuSe 7.3 from FTP after DLing all 6gig of files from a
                > mirror site to a local ftp server. Please let me know
                > as I would like to install it. Thank you.

                It worked on my Inspiron 4100 with a SuSE 7.2 CD1. But it should work
                with any SuSE-Version CD1. Simply start manual setup (yast), there
                have to load the appropriate NIC-Driver, configure the FTP-Server, and
                on you go ...

                Tom