I8100 display

  • Yi Qian
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
      HI, everyone,

      I got my Dell I8100 one month ago. I installed Redhat 7.2 and Win ME on
      it. Normally it works fine. But sometime the display doesn't respond, or
      suddenly becomes a mess (it seems to me this happends when I use it more
      than one hour.). I have to shut it down and after a while restart it. Today
      it became even worse. After I shut it down and restarted several times, the
      display still full of unreadable characters and colorful blocks. THe display
      was like this since I turned the machine on, even before it entered the RH
      or ME. Then I turn it off, and let it cool down for about half hour, then
      turn it on, it returned to normal.

      This looks like a hardware ( vidio card) problem for me, althought I don't
      know if this will happend under Windows, since I seldom use Win for a long
      time (except for watching movies). Anyone encountered this problem or can
      give any suggestions to fix it? Thank you.

      X.Y.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Yi Qian" <xyqian@h...> wrote:

        > This looks like a hardware ( vidio card) problem for me, althought I
        don't
        > know if this will happend under Windows, since I seldom use Win for
        a long
        > time (except for watching movies). Anyone encountered this problem
        or can
        > give any suggestions to fix it? Thank you.

        Sounds like a dying display. Hardware problems, especially if it
        happens in the BIOS. Send it back to DELL or call them and get an RMA
        for it.

        Oh, to watch movies, use xine. It works like a champ.

        DanH