apm on dell8100

  • richard@norton-hall.co.uk
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2001
      I've read the archives and dell laptops web pages and even tried
      support from SuSe. But I can not get apm to work on a dell 8100 with
      SuSE 7.3. Basically using standard SuSE 2.4.10 kernel, at the
      command prompt and with apm enabled, the machine sounds like it
      shuts down the drive but the power lights don't change and the
      screen freezes. Requires a power off crash to restart.
      apm -S states this is not available.
      Can anyone help or provide suggestions.

      Also but probably unrelated, the system freezes on shutdown if I
      have used the 3com pcmcia card during the session.
      I've been trying to sort this out since delivery two weeks ago and
      frankly windows XP on hda1 is starting to look very attractive. (How
      I hate the **** that stole my perfectly good and working Gateway).
    • sunil_mukhi
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2001
        Hello,

        I have the same or similar problem with APM.

        I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 and installed Red Hat 7.2. When I plug in
        or unplug the AC adaptor while Linux is running, (makes no difference
        if X is running or not), the machine freezes instantly. Nothing to be
        done except power off and sit through another fsck. (Sometimes it
        powers itself off after a few minutes of hanging, but it's still a
        crash). I've tried logging what it does when it crashes, but it leaves
        no record.

        The kernel I'm using is the RedHat 2.4.7-10 Enterprise (frankly I
        don't know what Enterprise signifies, but it runs my GeForce 2 Go
        video card very well). It does seem to have APM compiled in, and the
        apmd is certainly running. Can anyone suggest diagnostics or a fix?
        I'm not much of an expert myself.

        I also find that apm -S is unavailable, while apm -s (standby) only
        crashes X. On the other hand, apmd is doing part of its job right.
        When the battery is very low it successfully sends a Wall message.

        Thanks in advance,
        Sunil Mukhi

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., richard@n... wrote:
        > I've read the archives and dell laptops web pages and even tried
        > support from SuSe. But I can not get apm to work on a dell 8100 with
        > SuSE 7.3. Basically using standard SuSE 2.4.10 kernel, at the
        > command prompt and with apm enabled, the machine sounds like it
        > shuts down the drive but the power lights don't change and the
        > screen freezes. Requires a power off crash to restart.
        > apm -S states this is not available.
        > Can anyone help or provide suggestions.
        >
        > Also but probably unrelated, the system freezes on shutdown if I
        > have used the 3com pcmcia card during the session.
        > I've been trying to sort this out since delivery two weeks ago and
        > frankly windows XP on hda1 is starting to look very attractive. (How
        > I hate the **** that stole my perfectly good and working Gateway).
      • Justin Ellison
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 5, 2001
          Shooting from the hip on this one, but when I think of Enterprise, I
          think of big-time high-availability database servers. Having power
          management enabled on one of those would be an absolute nightmare. My
          guess would be that the enterprise kernel from RH has no power
          management options compiled in. Did you install the enterprise kernel
          yourself? I'd recommend using a different kernel. 2.4.16 has been
          running great for me on my 8100 - plus you get I8k support!

          HTH,

          Justin

          sunil_mukhi wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I have the same or similar problem with APM.
          >
          > I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 and installed Red Hat 7.2. When I plug in
          > or unplug the AC adaptor while Linux is running, (makes no difference
          > if X is running or not), the machine freezes instantly. Nothing to be
          > done except power off and sit through another fsck. (Sometimes it
          > powers itself off after a few minutes of hanging, but it's still a
          > crash). I've tried logging what it does when it crashes, but it leaves
          > no record.
          >
          > The kernel I'm using is the RedHat 2.4.7-10 Enterprise (frankly I
          > don't know what Enterprise signifies, but it runs my GeForce 2 Go
          > video card very well). It does seem to have APM compiled in, and the
          > apmd is certainly running. Can anyone suggest diagnostics or a fix?
          > I'm not much of an expert myself.
          >
          > I also find that apm -S is unavailable, while apm -s (standby) only
          > crashes X. On the other hand, apmd is doing part of its job right.
          > When the battery is very low it successfully sends a Wall message.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Sunil Mukhi
          >
          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., richard@n... wrote:
          >
          >>I've read the archives and dell laptops web pages and even tried
          >>support from SuSe. But I can not get apm to work on a dell 8100 with
          >>SuSE 7.3. Basically using standard SuSE 2.4.10 kernel, at the
          >>command prompt and with apm enabled, the machine sounds like it
          >>shuts down the drive but the power lights don't change and the
          >>screen freezes. Requires a power off crash to restart.
          >>apm -S states this is not available.
          >>Can anyone help or provide suggestions.
          >>
          >>Also but probably unrelated, the system freezes on shutdown if I
          >>have used the 3com pcmcia card during the session.
          >>I've been trying to sort this out since delivery two weeks ago and
          >>frankly windows XP on hda1 is starting to look very attractive. (How
          >>I hate the **** that stole my perfectly good and working Gateway).

        • linuxboy_andyb
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2001
            Justin, I also downloaded the 2.4.16 kernel, but APM dosent work at
            all for me :( also apm -S gives me standby: parameter out of range.

            what options did you compile into your kernel??
            thanx, andy_b@...
            --Andrew

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Joseph Reagle
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 7, 2001
              >   Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 05:18:58 -0000
              >   From: "linuxboy_andyb" <andy_b@...>
              >Subject: Re: apm on dell8100
              >Justin, I also downloaded the 2.4.16 kernel, but APM dosent work at
              >all for me :( also apm -S gives me standby: parameter out of range.
              >what options did you compile into your kernel??
              >thanx, andy_b@...

              I'm running woody on a 4100 and noticed two unkind modules! APM not only
              doesn't work, but when I build any kernel with APM it freezes my laptop in
              a very bad way -- sometimes having to resort to unplug power and battery!
              The other problem is that while I know I need to wait for XFree86-4.2, even
              enabling the AGPGART/DRI modules in the kernel causes a kernel panic!
              <frown/>

              --

              Regards, http://www.mit.edu/~reagle/
              Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E

              * This email is from an independent academic account and is
              not necessarily representative of my affiliations.
            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2001
                Here's my configuration file for the 2.4.16 kernel. Everything on it
                works for me: APM, DRI, VesaFB for that cool Tux on bootup :), USB,
                IrDA, etc. etc. etc.

                -steve

                On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:40:07AM -0500, Joseph Reagle wrote:
                > >   Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 05:18:58 -0000
                > >   From: "linuxboy_andyb" <andy_b@...>
                > >Subject: Re: apm on dell8100
                > >Justin, I also downloaded the 2.4.16 kernel, but APM dosent work at
                > >all for me :( also apm -S gives me standby: parameter out of range.
                > >what options did you compile into your kernel??
                > >thanx, andy_b@...
                >
                > I'm running woody on a 4100 and noticed two unkind modules! APM not only
                > doesn't work, but when I build any kernel with APM it freezes my laptop in
                > a very bad way -- sometimes having to resort to unplug power and battery!
                > The other problem is that while I know I need to wait for XFree86-4.2, even
                > enabling the AGPGART/DRI modules in the kernel causes a kernel panic!
                > <frown/>
                >
                > --
                >
                > Regards, http://www.mit.edu/~reagle/
                > Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E
                >
                > * This email is from an independent academic account and is
                > not necessarily representative of my affiliations.

              • decard13
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 9, 2001
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
                  > Here's my configuration file for the 2.4.16 kernel. Everything on
                  it
                  > works for me: APM, DRI, VesaFB for that cool Tux on bootup :), USB,
                  > IrDA, etc. etc. etc.

                  Thank you Steve, I'll try this next time I build the kernel. The
                  trick though is I believe you have non-debian on an 8100 (with a
                  different card.) So while I'm helpful, I'm really looking forward to
                  another 4100 debian user with a working config.
                • John Timmers
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 9, 2001
                    Stephen Lau wrote:

                    > Here's my configuration file for the 2.4.16 kernel. Everything on it
                    > works for me: APM, DRI, VesaFB for that cool Tux on bootup :), USB,
                    > IrDA, etc. etc. etc.
                    >
                    > -steve

                    Hi Steve -- can you show us your /etc/lilo.conf to see how you've got it
                    configured to display Tux on bootup

                    --
                    Regards:
                    _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 9, 2001
                      On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 05:36:57PM -0000, decard13 wrote:
                      > Thank you Steve, I'll try this next time I build the kernel. The
                      > trick though is I believe you have non-debian on an 8100 (with a
                      > different card.) So while I'm helpful, I'm really looking forward to
                      > another 4100 debian user with a working config.

                      The distribution shouldn't matter, and most of the hardware shouldn't
                      matter either. I use the same kernel configuration for my Debian 2.2r4
                      Inspiron 8000 as well. The only major difference would be the video
                      card, in which case you can take out the ATI RAGE 128 DRI driver that is
                      compiled as a module. (It doesn't hurt to leave it in though, it just
                      won't be loaded).

                      cheers,
                      steve

                    • Stephen Lau
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 9, 2001
                        On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 10:25:16AM -0800, John Timmers wrote:
                        > Hi Steve -- can you show us your /etc/lilo.conf to see how you've got it
                        > configured to display Tux on bootup

                        I actually use GRUB to boot, but it should work for LILO as well. All
                        you need to do is place a "vga=xxx' parameter after your kernel line.
                        Replace the xxx with the console framebuffer mode you want, for example,
                        I use a console of 1024x768x16bit which is 792 I believe. (I might be
                        off on the bit count, but 792 is def. 1024x768).

                        cheers,
                        steve
                      • decard13
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 3, 2002
                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
                          > Here's my configuration file for the 2.4.16 kernel. Everything on it
                          > works for me: APM, DRI, VesaFB for that cool Tux on bootup :), USB,
                          > IrDA, etc. etc. etc.

                          Does the laptop suspend (display and disk) if you have an external
                          monitor plugged in and on AC power?