Re: RH 7.2 on 4100

  • Marcin Szczuka
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2001
      AS for RH 7.2
      The main unit is OK, bus, memory etc.
      Graphics - ATI Mobility Radeon, this create no problems, but require a
      little more tweaking that previous ATI models. But, its still ATI -
      one of most Linux-friendly stuff around.
      Network - no serious reported problems.
      CD/DVD/CD-RW are all reported to work properly.
      Possible problems:
      Internal Modem - I do not own 4100, but from this group I learned that
      Dell uses Modem/NIC combos with diffrent modem chips.
      If its Lucent chip (Actiontec combo) then OK - its supported in Linux.
      If it is PCTel chip then it is generally supported, but in kind of
      strange way and no 100% guarantee that it will work in your
      particular case.
      If the chip is from 3Com - then no driver for Linux at the moment.
      In any case modem will probably require at least additional driver
      installation.
      www.linmodems.org is good place to start investigation.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Steve Baldwin" <sbaldwin@b...> wrote:
      > I am planning to purchase a 4100, but I need to confirm it works OK
      with RH 7.2. The config I am planning on is :