Re: [linux-dell-laptops] 8100 Recommendations XP/Linux Dual Boot

  • Justin Ellison
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2001
      Actually, if you buy XP Pro, you get a license for 2000 Pro as well. I
      read about it in a trade mag just last week.

      Lou Feliz wrote:

      > Hello all.
      >
      > Thanks for the advice on the recommendations. I am going to go with
      > the high end config. My next choice is that I want to Dual Boot, but I
      > am told that I should go with XP Pro and not Win2K Pro. Am I asking
      > for trouble or is XP Pro the better way to go in this instance? I am
      > ordering my system on Friday, so any suggestions are greatlyl
      > appreciated.
      >

      > - Lou

    • Lou Feliz
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
        Thanks for the insights. I see what you mean in comparing W2K and XP.
        I can always put 2000 on the unit if XP gives me grief. I will just
        make sure I get a copy of Partition Magic and deal with it that way,
        as I dont want to re-install XP. I have heard that RH 7.2 is
        improved since my last experience was with 7.0.

        No doubt I will be back here when my unit arrives, scouring the
        archives for tips and configuration help. This will me second Linux
        machine. My first is a Linux only desktop that I have been
        experimenting with for a while using Kylix 1.0.

        Later.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Marcin Szczuka" <mszczuka@y...>
        wrote:
        > Well, If you want a dual boot with Windows then there are few
        issues
        > about Dell's machines.
        >
        > 1. In both cases (XP and W2K) you will get machine with
        preinstalled
        > system on single partition occupying the whole disk. It means you
        > have to repartition to make room for other OS.
        >
        > In XP it means: either you get a commercial partitioning tool
        > (Partition Magic is probably most reliable) that supports NTFS-XP
        or
        > you have to re-install XP from scratch, changing partitions first
        > (that, to my knowledge, can't be done with free tools without
        ruining
        > XP installation).
        >
        > In W2K it means: get a free tool like fips, Ranish Partition
        Manager
        > or some other and repartition. Dell have a policy of installing W2K
        > on the FAT32 partition. This type of partition can be further
        > converted to NTFS, but not the other way round.
        >

        > 2. Dual boot - is usually not a problem if you install first
        Windows
        > and then Linux. It is probably easier to deal with GRUB than with
        > lilo boot manager if you have XP. But the reported problems with
        dual
        > boot usually come from inproper installation procedure, not from
        the
        > fact that Microsoft bans Linux or something of this kind. There is
        > more information in FAQ for I8000 (applicable to I8100) in this
        group
        > archives.
        >
        > 3. Win2k or XP - well, well, well
        > This is the matter of personal choice. All I can say is that for a
        > moment W2K is belived to work more reliably than XP. On the other
        > hand the upgrade to XP is not free, so why to pay twice.
        > Personally, I think XP isn't really matured yet and its horribly
        > resource-consuming. But probably it has a better perspective ahead
        > since I expect Microsoft to stop support Win2K in the near future.
        >
        > Cheers
        > MS:)
      • Don Stubbs
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
          XP is a marked improvement over Win2K. Go with it.

          I run Lilo to dual boot my Inspiron 8K.  Currently SuSE 7.3 and WinXP.  Previously SuSE 7.2 and Win2K.

          Enjoy,

          Don

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
            > Well, If you want a dual boot with Windows then there are few issues
            > about Dell's machines.
            >
            > 1. In both cases (XP and W2K) you will get machine with preinstalled
            > system on single partition occupying the whole disk. It means you
            > have to repartition to make room for other OS.
            >
            > In XP it means: either you get a commercial partitioning tool
            > (Partition Magic is probably most reliable) that supports NTFS-XP or
            > you have to re-install XP from scratch, changing partitions first
            > (that, to my knowledge, can't be done with free tools without ruining
            > XP installation).
            >
            > In W2K it means: get a free tool like fips, Ranish Partition Manager
            > or some other and repartition. Dell have a policy of installing W2K
            > on the FAT32 partition. This type of partition can be further
            > converted to NTFS, but not the other way round.

            Actually, when I ordered an Inspiron 4000 with Win2K on it in September,
            I was given an option on the order page of NTFS or Win2K (just like
            picking disk size, memory size, or any other option). However, I
            noticed on my last visit to the Dell order pages this week things
            have changed again, and there are far fewer options on the order
            page than there were when I ordered my last two laptops.

            > 2. Dual boot - is usually not a problem if you install first Windows
            > and then Linux. It is probably easier to deal with GRUB than with
            > lilo boot manager if you have XP. But the reported problems with dual
            > boot usually come from inproper installation procedure, not from the
            > fact that Microsoft bans Linux or something of this kind. There is
            > more information in FAQ for I8000 (applicable to I8100) in this group
            > archives.

            I did find when I reinstalled Win2K on my laptop that already had Redhat
            7.2 using GRUB on it, Win2K did NOT stomp my GRUB setup as I had been
            expecting it to do.

            --
            John Cronin
          • Stephen Lau
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
              I run dual-boot RH7.1/WinXP Pro on one of my I8K's and Debian2.2/Win2K Pro on my other I8K's and I have to say that
              Win2k is more responsive and even more stable than WinXP.

              setting up dual-boot is not hard....grub makes it a piece of cake (i put the grub line for booting win2k in the latest
              FAQ)

              -steve