Re: [linux-dell-laptops] 8100 Recommendations XP/Linux Dual Boot

  • Justin Ellison
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2001
      Actually, if you buy XP Pro, you get a license for 2000 Pro as well. I
      read about it in a trade mag just last week.

      Lou Feliz wrote:

      > Hello all.
      >
      > Thanks for the advice on the recommendations. I am going to go with
      > the high end config. My next choice is that I want to Dual Boot, but I
      > am told that I should go with XP Pro and not Win2K Pro. Am I asking
      > for trouble or is XP Pro the better way to go in this instance? I am
      > ordering my system on Friday, so any suggestions are greatlyl
      > appreciated.
      >

      > - Lou

    • Marcin Szczuka
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
        Well, If you want a dual boot with Windows then there are few issues
        about Dell's machines.

        1. In both cases (XP and W2K) you will get machine with preinstalled
        system on single partition occupying the whole disk. It means you
        have to repartition to make room for other OS.

        In XP it means: either you get a commercial partitioning tool
        (Partition Magic is probably most reliable) that supports NTFS-XP or
        you have to re-install XP from scratch, changing partitions first
        (that, to my knowledge, can't be done with free tools without ruining
        XP installation).

        In W2K it means: get a free tool like fips, Ranish Partition Manager
        or some other and repartition. Dell have a policy of installing W2K
        on the FAT32 partition. This type of partition can be further
        converted to NTFS, but not the other way round.

        2. Dual boot - is usually not a problem if you install first Windows
        and then Linux. It is probably easier to deal with GRUB than with
        lilo boot manager if you have XP. But the reported problems with dual
        boot usually come from inproper installation procedure, not from the
        fact that Microsoft bans Linux or something of this kind. There is
        more information in FAQ for I8000 (applicable to I8100) in this group
        archives.

        3. Win2k or XP - well, well, well
        This is the matter of personal choice. All I can say is that for a
        moment W2K is belived to work more reliably than XP. On the other
        hand the upgrade to XP is not free, so why to pay twice.
        Personally, I think XP isn't really matured yet and its horribly
        resource-consuming. But probably it has a better perspective ahead
        since I expect Microsoft to stop support Win2K in the near future.

        Cheers
        MS:)
      • Lou Feliz
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
          Thanks for the insights. I see what you mean in comparing W2K and XP.
          I can always put 2000 on the unit if XP gives me grief. I will just
          make sure I get a copy of Partition Magic and deal with it that way,
          as I dont want to re-install XP. I have heard that RH 7.2 is
          improved since my last experience was with 7.0.

          No doubt I will be back here when my unit arrives, scouring the
          archives for tips and configuration help. This will me second Linux
          machine. My first is a Linux only desktop that I have been
          experimenting with for a while using Kylix 1.0.

          Later.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Marcin Szczuka" <mszczuka@y...>
          wrote:
          > Well, If you want a dual boot with Windows then there are few
          issues
          > about Dell's machines.
          >
          > 1. In both cases (XP and W2K) you will get machine with
          preinstalled
          > system on single partition occupying the whole disk. It means you
          > have to repartition to make room for other OS.
          >
          > In XP it means: either you get a commercial partitioning tool
          > (Partition Magic is probably most reliable) that supports NTFS-XP
          or
          > you have to re-install XP from scratch, changing partitions first
          > (that, to my knowledge, can't be done with free tools without
          ruining
          > XP installation).
          >
          > In W2K it means: get a free tool like fips, Ranish Partition
          Manager
          > or some other and repartition. Dell have a policy of installing W2K
          > on the FAT32 partition. This type of partition can be further
          > converted to NTFS, but not the other way round.
          >

          > 2. Dual boot - is usually not a problem if you install first
          Windows
          > and then Linux. It is probably easier to deal with GRUB than with
          > lilo boot manager if you have XP. But the reported problems with
          dual
          > boot usually come from inproper installation procedure, not from
          the
          > fact that Microsoft bans Linux or something of this kind. There is
          > more information in FAQ for I8000 (applicable to I8100) in this
          group
          > archives.
          >
          > 3. Win2k or XP - well, well, well
          > This is the matter of personal choice. All I can say is that for a
          > moment W2K is belived to work more reliably than XP. On the other
          > hand the upgrade to XP is not free, so why to pay twice.
          > Personally, I think XP isn't really matured yet and its horribly
          > resource-consuming. But probably it has a better perspective ahead
          > since I expect Microsoft to stop support Win2K in the near future.
          >
          > Cheers
          > MS:)
        • Don Stubbs
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
            XP is a marked improvement over Win2K. Go with it.

            I run Lilo to dual boot my Inspiron 8K.  Currently SuSE 7.3 and WinXP.  Previously SuSE 7.2 and Win2K.

            Enjoy,

            Don

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
              > Well, If you want a dual boot with Windows then there are few issues
              > about Dell's machines.
              >
              > 1. In both cases (XP and W2K) you will get machine with preinstalled
              > system on single partition occupying the whole disk. It means you
              > have to repartition to make room for other OS.
              >
              > In XP it means: either you get a commercial partitioning tool
              > (Partition Magic is probably most reliable) that supports NTFS-XP or
              > you have to re-install XP from scratch, changing partitions first
              > (that, to my knowledge, can't be done with free tools without ruining
              > XP installation).
              >
              > In W2K it means: get a free tool like fips, Ranish Partition Manager
              > or some other and repartition. Dell have a policy of installing W2K
              > on the FAT32 partition. This type of partition can be further
              > converted to NTFS, but not the other way round.

              Actually, when I ordered an Inspiron 4000 with Win2K on it in September,
              I was given an option on the order page of NTFS or Win2K (just like
              picking disk size, memory size, or any other option). However, I
              noticed on my last visit to the Dell order pages this week things
              have changed again, and there are far fewer options on the order
              page than there were when I ordered my last two laptops.

              > 2. Dual boot - is usually not a problem if you install first Windows
              > and then Linux. It is probably easier to deal with GRUB than with
              > lilo boot manager if you have XP. But the reported problems with dual
              > boot usually come from inproper installation procedure, not from the
              > fact that Microsoft bans Linux or something of this kind. There is
              > more information in FAQ for I8000 (applicable to I8100) in this group
              > archives.

              I did find when I reinstalled Win2K on my laptop that already had Redhat
              7.2 using GRUB on it, Win2K did NOT stomp my GRUB setup as I had been
              expecting it to do.

              --
              John Cronin
            • Stephen Lau
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 29, 2001
                I run dual-boot RH7.1/WinXP Pro on one of my I8K's and Debian2.2/Win2K Pro on my other I8K's and I have to say that
                Win2k is more responsive and even more stable than WinXP.

                setting up dual-boot is not hard....grub makes it a piece of cake (i put the grub line for booting win2k in the latest
                FAQ)

                -steve