ZIP 100 on ParPort

  • pucher@atlas.gis.univie.ac.at
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2001
      Hi,

      I trying to get a Iomege 100 Zip Drive running on my I8k. i'm running
      SuSE 7.2 with kernel 2.4.4-4GB.

      I followed the instructions on the SuSE Supportdatabase, saying that I
      need to 'insmod ppa'.

      After doing so I get these messages:

      Using /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o
      /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
      parport_unregister_device
      /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
      parport_enumerate
      /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
      parport_register_device/lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o:
      unresolved symbol parport_claim
      /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o: unresolved symbol
      parport_release

      so first I do 'insmod parport' - without problems, then 'insmod ppa':

      Using /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o
      /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o: init_module: No such
      device
      Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
      including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

      I think i need parport_pc, so I give it another try with 'insmod
      parport_pc':

      Using /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o
      /lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/parport/parport_pc.o:
      init_module: Device or resource busy
      Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
      including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

      Someone got any ideas on how to solve this?

      I'm pretty sure that my kernel is built with SCSI support, so that
      should'nt be the problem.

      In the KDE Control Center, there is no entry for parport0, like it is
      on different other machines around me.(?)

      What about /etc/modules.conf, do I have to outcomment the parport
      entries in there?

      Thanks in advance!!

      ALEX
    • Francesco Corona
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2001
        On Monday 26 November 2001 15:53, you wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I trying to get a Iomege 100 Zip Drive running on my I8k. i'm running
        > SuSE 7.2 with kernel 2.4.4-4GB.

        already checked your bios setup for parallel ports?
        do you have an entry in /etc/fstab in case you get thru?

        your friend is:
        "Zip Drive Mini-HOWTO"
        http://www.njtcom.com/dansie/zip-drive.html
        from Kyle Dansie, dansie@...

        Francesco
      • xcate@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2001
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., pucher@a... wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I trying to get a Iomege 100 Zip Drive running on my I8k. i'm running
          > SuSE 7.2 with kernel 2.4.4-4GB.
          >
          > I followed the instructions on the SuSE Supportdatabase, saying that I
          > need to 'insmod ppa'.

          Use 'modprobe imm':
          modprobe is better that insmod, it handle the dependencies,
          so modprobe imm should also automatically load par port.

          imm is the newer driver for parport ZIP. The newer ZIP
          requires 'imm' module and the old 'ppa' modules.

          giacomo
        • Sunny Dubey
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
            On Tuesday 27 November 2001 05:10 am, you wrote:
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., pucher@a... wrote:
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I trying to get a Iomege 100 Zip Drive running on my I8k. i'm running
            > > SuSE 7.2 with kernel 2.4.4-4GB.
            > >
            > > I followed the instructions on the SuSE Supportdatabase, saying that I
            > > need to 'insmod ppa'.
            >
            > Use 'modprobe imm':
            > modprobe is better that insmod, it handle the dependencies,
            > so modprobe imm should also automatically load par port.

            thats really odd .. cuz

            (phoxix@lily)(~)$ ls -l /sbin/modprobe
            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Nov 17 03:31 /sbin/modprobe -> insmod

            or do I have some foobar'ed debian install??

            Sunny Dubey