Re: [linux-dell-laptops] sound driver for Maestro 3

  • LenaMaria "Corpset" Olausson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9, 2000
      On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Arkaitz wrote:
      > I'd like to inform you that OSS (www.opensound.com) has released a commercial
      > sound driver for Maestro 3 based sound cards.
      > I have a Dell Inspiron 3800, and it works perfectly, even though they say it's
      > beta.
      > I'm sure it's interesting for a lot of people around here.

      If you were I would throw myself at you. I'm going to try it right now
      :) No the throwing-part, the driver-part :)

      // lenamaria olausson

      [lenamaria.olausson]
      [+46(0)70 818 47 91]
      [ellem@...]
      [ www.albylien.net ]
      [ S E M E S T E R !]
    • LenaMaria "Corpset" Olausson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2000
        On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Arkaitz wrote:
        > I'd like to inform you that OSS (www.opensound.com) has released a commercial
        > sound driver for Maestro 3 based sound cards.
        > I have a Dell Inspiron 3800, and it works perfectly, even though they say it's
        > beta.
        > I'm sure it's interesting for a lot of people around here.

        IT WORKS!

        // lenamaria olausson

        [lenamaria.olausson]
        [+46(0)70 818 47 91]
        [ellem@...]
        [ www.albylien.net ]
        [ S E M E S T E R !]
      • Arkaitz
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 10, 2000
          On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 04:49:08AM +0200, LenaMaria Corpset Olausson wrote:
          > On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Arkaitz wrote:
          > > I'd like to inform you that OSS (www.opensound.com) has released a commercial
          > > sound driver for Maestro 3 based sound cards.
          > > I have a Dell Inspiron 3800, and it works perfectly, even though they say it's
          > > beta.
          > > I'm sure it's interesting for a lot of people around here.
          >
          > IT WORKS!

          But only for three hours during a week if you don't buy a license :(.
          After that it stops every 20 minutes...

        • mikefengler@gmx.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 11, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Arkaitz <ma9aba@b...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I'd like to inform you that OSS (www.opensound.com) has released a
            commercial
            > sound driver for Maestro 3 based sound cards.
            > I have a Dell Inspiron 3800, and it works perfectly, even though
            they say it's
            > beta.
            > I'm sure it's interesting for a lot of people around here.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Arkaitz.

            As of kernel 2.2.14 Maestro has been supported by the kernel
            directly, no need for commercial drivers.

            - mike
          • Hans Davidsson
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 11, 2000
              There is no kernel module for maestro3 afaik (maestro1 and 2 is
              available). However, www.alsa-project.com has recently released
              the alsa drivers for maestro3, so no reason to infest your free
              software Inspiron 3800 with proprietary drivers anyway.

              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Arkaitz <ma9aba@b...> wrote:
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > I'd like to inform you that OSS (www.opensound.com) has released a
              > commercial
              > > sound driver for Maestro 3 based sound cards.
              > > I have a Dell Inspiron 3800, and it works perfectly, even though
              > they say it's
              > > beta.
              > > I'm sure it's interesting for a lot of people around here.
              > >
              > > Cheers,
              > >
              > > Arkaitz.
              >
              > As of kernel 2.2.14 Maestro has been supported by the kernel
              > directly, no need for commercial drivers.
              >
              > - mike

              Hans Davidsson hans.davidsson@...
              CodeFactory AB http://www.codefactory.se/
              Office: +46 (0)90 71 86 14 Cell: +46 (0)70 363 66 99
            • Hans Davidsson
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 11, 2000
                > There is no kernel module for maestro3 afaik (maestro1 and 2 is
                > available). However, www.alsa-project.com has recently released
                > the alsa drivers for maestro3, so no reason to infest your free
                > software Inspiron 3800 with proprietary drivers anyway.

                Correction:

                http://www.alsa-project.org/

                (sorry for any inconvenience)

                --
                Hans Davidsson hans.davidsson@...
                CodeFactory AB http://www.codefactory.se/
                Office: +46 (0)90 71 86 14 Cell: +46 (0)70 363 66 99
              • Timothy R. Butler
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 11, 2000
                  Mike,
                  > As of kernel 2.2.14 Maestro has been supported by the kernel
                  > directly, no need for commercial drivers.

                  I'm pretty sure your thinking of the Maestro 1 or 2. The Maestro 3's support is
                  being developed the last I heard.

                  -Tim

                  Timothy R. Butler Universal Networks
                  Information Tech. Consultant Christian Web Services Since 1996
                  ICQ #12495932 AIM: Uninettm An Authorized IPSwitch Reseller
                  tbutler@... http://www.uninetsolutions.com
                  ===================== "Solutions that Work" =====================
                • vincent.nijs@econ.kuleuven.ac.be
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2001
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Hans Davidsson"
                    <Hans.Davidsson@c...> wrote:

                    > > There is no kernel module for maestro3 afaik (maestro1 and 2 is
                    > > available). However, www.alsa-project.com has recently released
                    > > the alsa drivers for maestro3, so no reason to infest your free
                    > > software Inspiron 3800 with proprietary drivers anyway.
                    >
                    > Correction:
                    >
                    > http://www.alsa-project.org/
                    >
                    > (sorry for any inconvenience)
                    >
                    > --
                    > Hans Davidsson hans.davidsson@c...
                    > CodeFactory AB http://www.codefactory.se/
                    > Office: +46 (0)90 71 86 14 Cell: +46 (0)70 363 66 99

                    Hans,

                    Is there a 'step-by-step' (or preferably an RPM) on how to use the
                    alsa drivers to setup the maestro 3? If have looked at the how-to but
                    am a newbie did not comprehend.

                    Vincent