Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Investing in a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook

  • Charly Baker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
      This is almost exactly the system I just bought, but I didn't get an
      internal modem, and I loaded up the memory. Internal modems are often
      WIN modems, so why ask for trouble. With external modems you get what
      you want (see http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/ for list of supported
      cards). I got a "D-Link", "DMF560TX" (this text copied from carctl ident
      display) and had no trouble with it at all as modem and ethernet card.

      I got a lot of memory because I still want to have lots over the
      lifetime of the computer.

      I installed Caldera Openlinux 2.4, and it recognized everything BUT you
      have to use VGA=2 at the Lilo boot prompt for video to work, and you
      have to follow the instructions at
      http://intern.linpro.no/~janl/inspiron-5000.html#install if you want
      1400x1050 (which you do).

      Suspend requires more mucking around, but will work, and I need to
      recompile the kernel for APM ... that will come later.

      Ed Moynihan wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I am intending to buy a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. The system
      > will come with Windows 98 by default and my wife will use that OS.
      > However, I intend to install RedHat 6.2 Linux for my own use. I have
      > never owned a notebook before and I have been led to believe that
      > they can be more tricky to configure correctly. Before I buy one,
      > I'd like to make sure that the system I am about to order has the
      > hardware so that Linux can be loaded with little difficulty. Here
      > is the system spec that I am ordering;
      >
      > Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook
      > Pentium III processor, 600 MHz
      > 15.0 Super XGA+ TFT display
      > 64 MB, SDRAM, 1 DIMM
      > 2X AGP 8MB ATI RAGE Mobility - P 3D Video
      > 6GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
      > Internal 56K Capable V.90 Fax Modem
      > 8X Max. Variable DVD-ROM drive
      >
      > I am most worried about the modem. Is is a WinModem? Also, are
      > there drivers for the DVD available. All help and advice about this
      > would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
      >
      > -Ed.

      > Where do sports heroes like Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm,
      > Vince Carter and Peyton Manning hang out? Where else?
      > Click now and find ?em all here!
    • Ed Moynihan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
        Thanks for the all the advice. I have decided that I will not be
        taking the standard option of the internal modem that Dell provides.
        Instead, I will take the option of a "56K capable V.90 Gold Card
        Global Modem (from Psion)". Just to set my mind at ease, has anyone
        else used this card as a modem for Linux? Is there a resource I
        should be looking at to see if this card has been used on other
        Linux systems? TIA.

        -Ed.