docking station Dell CPi

  • jfleet@merchentstire.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2000
      I am using RH 6.1 which I installed on a Dell CPi.After modifing the
      XF86config file. I was able to get the monitor to come up with the
      laptop docked but the screen on the laptop has to be up for this to
      work. Plus I can't use the Fn -crt/lcd keys to have the laptops
      monitor to go into sleep mode.Doing that causes unresolved screens on
      both the monitor and the laptop. Does anybody have a solution which
      will allow me to close my laptop screen while docked?
    • Kev Hall
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2000
        Try setting the "intern_disp" or "extern_disp" options
        for the Device settings. There should be two lines as follows:

        # option "intern_disp"
        # option "extern_disp"

        Just uncomment the relevant one for your display.

        I've had similar problems using various CPi models, and that method
        has worked for all up to my current CPi R400GT with the NeoMagic
        256ZX board.

        Note - for the 256, it appears that if you comment out both
        it tries to sync for the TFT, and if you leave both uncommented,
        it also tries to sync for the TFT. This caused the same problems
        you described when trying to suspend one screen.

        Cheers

        Kev

      • js6864@sbc.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18, 2000
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, jfleet@m... wrote:
          > I am using RH 6.1 which I installed on a Dell CPi.After modifing the
          > XF86config file. I was able to get the monitor to come up with the
          > laptop docked but the screen on the laptop has to be up for this to
          > work. Plus I can't use the Fn -crt/lcd keys to have the laptops
          > monitor to go into sleep mode.Doing that causes unresolved screens
          on
          > both the monitor and the laptop. Does anybody have a solution which
          > will allow me to close my laptop screen while docked?

          How did you get the laptop to work at all with the docking station
          everytime I dock and startx the screen goes blank.
        • Monk@hotsheep.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 19, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, js6864@s... wrote:
            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, jfleet@m... wrote:
            > > I am using RH 6.1 which I installed on a Dell CPi.After modifing
            the
            > > XF86config file. I was able to get the monitor to come up with the
            > > laptop docked but the screen on the laptop has to be up for this
            > > work. Plus I can't use the Fn -crt/lcd keys to have the laptops
            > > monitor to go into sleep mode.Doing that causes unresolved
            screens
            > on
            > > both the monitor and the laptop. Does anybody have a solution
            which
            > > will allow me to close my laptop screen while docked?

            I have a latitude cpi and I have installed Mandrake 7.1 w/ my docking
            station. I was having the same problem for a minute. What I did was
            add the line 'Option "extern_disp"' in my XF86config file. There are
            apparently two optiions you can add; 'extern_disp'
            and 'intern_disp'. At first I had both lines and that didn't work so
            hot, so I deleted the second and it works great now. Hope that helps.