Re: Investing in a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook

  • sjohni@catholic.org
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
      Ed:

      The modem, if it is internal most certainly is a winmodem. You can
      try the lucent winmodem driver at www.linmodems.org. I've had mixed
      success with it.

      I've not been able to get the DVD-rom to work with DVDs in Linux. It
      however works just fine as a normal CD-ROM drive.

      Hope this helps.

      sji

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Ed Moynihan"
      <edmoynihan@h...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      > I am intending to buy a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. The system
      > will come with Windows 98 by default and my wife will use that OS.
      > However, I intend to install RedHat 6.2 Linux for my own use. I
      have
      > never owned a notebook before and I have been led to believe that
      > they can be more tricky to configure correctly. Before I buy one,
      > I'd like to make sure that the system I am about to order has the
      > hardware so that Linux can be loaded with little difficulty. Here
      > is the system spec that I am ordering;
      >
      > Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook
      > Pentium III processor, 600 MHz
      > 15.0 Super XGA+ TFT display
      > 64 MB, SDRAM, 1 DIMM
      > 2X AGP 8MB ATI RAGE Mobility - P 3D Video
      > 6GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
      > Internal 56K Capable V.90 Fax Modem
      > 8X Max. Variable DVD-ROM drive
      >
      > I am most worried about the modem. Is is a WinModem? Also, are
      > there drivers for the DVD available. All help and advice about this
      > would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
      >
      > -Ed.

    • Art Delano
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
        > I am intending to buy a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. The system
        >will come with Windows 98 by default and my wife will use that OS.
        >However, I intend to install RedHat 6.2 Linux for my own use. I have
        >never owned a notebook before and I have been led to believe that
        >they can be more tricky to configure correctly.

        I've got an Inspiron 3800 and have successfully installed Red Hat 6.2,
        Mandrake 7.0, and Corel linuxes (and there's a copy of Caldera waiting for
        me to test this weekend). That's sequentially, not all at once.

        Red Hat 6.2's default X install has a couple strips of flickering pixels on
        the right side of the screen, which has also been reported at
        http://legoland.mednet.ucla.edu/loening/linux-3800.html. You may not have
        this problem, since the i5000 has different display and video hardware.

        Corel's installer did not work off the shelf; An updated set of CDs and
        floppy are available for free from Corel (no shipping charges, about five
        days' wait between order and arrival). Corel's installer does an
        independent auto-detect of video hardware without user intervention;
        Mandrake makes a best guess but allows the user to manually specify it as
        well.

        Of the three of these, Mandrake was the easiest to install and configure.
        It had none of the display and X configuration problems that have been
        discussed in this mailing list. Mandrake's install seems to be most ready
        for a workstation environment of the sort you're likely to want on a
        laptop, and it's based on Red Hat. It also has the most KDE/Gnome themes
        and games. (Whee.) It also has the biggest default workstation install,
        leaving a nearly 1.5gb footprint.

        >Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook
        >Pentium III processor, 600 MHz
        >15.0 Super XGA+ TFT display
        >64 MB, SDRAM, 1 DIMM
        >2X AGP 8MB ATI RAGE Mobility - P 3D Video
        >6GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
        >Internal 56K Capable V.90 Fax Modem
        >8X Max. Variable DVD-ROM drive
        >
        >I am most worried about the modem. Is is a WinModem? Also, are
        >there drivers for the DVD available. All help and advice about this
        >would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

        It is probably a winmodem. A Dell representative will be able to tell you
        specifically. If you're having the computer built to order, you may be able
        to delete the option or replace the winmodem with a PC card modem.

        Before I found this mailing list, I found the Linux on Laptops page
        invaluable; it has a massive linklist to individuals who have posted their
        install experiences on several hundred laptop models.
        http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

        AjD

        --
        Art Delano, New Media Designer "i've never felt so much
        Logic Solutions, Inc. peer pressure to be a
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
          This is almost exactly the system I just bought, but I didn't get an
          internal modem, and I loaded up the memory. Internal modems are often
          WIN modems, so why ask for trouble. With external modems you get what
          you want (see http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/ for list of supported
          cards). I got a "D-Link", "DMF560TX" (this text copied from carctl ident
          display) and had no trouble with it at all as modem and ethernet card.

          I got a lot of memory because I still want to have lots over the
          lifetime of the computer.

          I installed Caldera Openlinux 2.4, and it recognized everything BUT you
          have to use VGA=2 at the Lilo boot prompt for video to work, and you
          have to follow the instructions at
          http://intern.linpro.no/~janl/inspiron-5000.html#install if you want
          1400x1050 (which you do).

          Suspend requires more mucking around, but will work, and I need to
          recompile the kernel for APM ... that will come later.

          Ed Moynihan wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I am intending to buy a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. The system
          > will come with Windows 98 by default and my wife will use that OS.
          > However, I intend to install RedHat 6.2 Linux for my own use. I have
          > never owned a notebook before and I have been led to believe that
          > they can be more tricky to configure correctly. Before I buy one,
          > I'd like to make sure that the system I am about to order has the
          > hardware so that Linux can be loaded with little difficulty. Here
          > is the system spec that I am ordering;
          >
          > Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook
          > Pentium III processor, 600 MHz
          > 15.0 Super XGA+ TFT display
          > 64 MB, SDRAM, 1 DIMM
          > 2X AGP 8MB ATI RAGE Mobility - P 3D Video
          > 6GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
          > Internal 56K Capable V.90 Fax Modem
          > 8X Max. Variable DVD-ROM drive
          >
          > I am most worried about the modem. Is is a WinModem? Also, are
          > there drivers for the DVD available. All help and advice about this
          > would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
          >
          > -Ed.

          > Where do sports heroes like Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm,
          > Vince Carter and Peyton Manning hang out? Where else?
          > Click now and find ?em all here!
        • Ed Moynihan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
            Thanks for the all the advice. I have decided that I will not be
            taking the standard option of the internal modem that Dell provides.
            Instead, I will take the option of a "56K capable V.90 Gold Card
            Global Modem (from Psion)". Just to set my mind at ease, has anyone
            else used this card as a modem for Linux? Is there a resource I
            should be looking at to see if this card has been used on other
            Linux systems? TIA.

            -Ed.