Investing in a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook

  • Ed Moynihan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
      Hi all,
      I am intending to buy a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. The system
      will come with Windows 98 by default and my wife will use that OS.
      However, I intend to install RedHat 6.2 Linux for my own use. I have
      never owned a notebook before and I have been led to believe that
      they can be more tricky to configure correctly. Before I buy one,
      I'd like to make sure that the system I am about to order has the
      hardware so that Linux can be loaded with little difficulty. Here
      is the system spec that I am ordering;

      Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook
      Pentium III processor, 600 MHz
      15.0 Super XGA+ TFT display
      64 MB, SDRAM, 1 DIMM
      2X AGP 8MB ATI RAGE Mobility - P 3D Video
      6GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
      Internal 56K Capable V.90 Fax Modem
      8X Max. Variable DVD-ROM drive

      I am most worried about the modem. Is is a WinModem? Also, are
      there drivers for the DVD available. All help and advice about this
      would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

      -Ed.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
        Ed:

        The modem, if it is internal most certainly is a winmodem. You can
        try the lucent winmodem driver at www.linmodems.org. I've had mixed
        success with it.

        I've not been able to get the DVD-rom to work with DVDs in Linux. It
        however works just fine as a normal CD-ROM drive.

        Hope this helps.

        sji

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Ed Moynihan"
        <edmoynihan@h...> wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I am intending to buy a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. The system
        > will come with Windows 98 by default and my wife will use that OS.
        > However, I intend to install RedHat 6.2 Linux for my own use. I
        have
        > never owned a notebook before and I have been led to believe that
        > they can be more tricky to configure correctly. Before I buy one,
        > I'd like to make sure that the system I am about to order has the
        > hardware so that Linux can be loaded with little difficulty. Here
        > is the system spec that I am ordering;
        >
        > Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook
        > Pentium III processor, 600 MHz
        > 15.0 Super XGA+ TFT display
        > 64 MB, SDRAM, 1 DIMM
        > 2X AGP 8MB ATI RAGE Mobility - P 3D Video
        > 6GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
        > Internal 56K Capable V.90 Fax Modem
        > 8X Max. Variable DVD-ROM drive
        >
        > I am most worried about the modem. Is is a WinModem? Also, are
        > there drivers for the DVD available. All help and advice about this
        > would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
        >
        > -Ed.

      • Art Delano
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
          > I am intending to buy a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. The system
          >will come with Windows 98 by default and my wife will use that OS.
          >However, I intend to install RedHat 6.2 Linux for my own use. I have
          >never owned a notebook before and I have been led to believe that
          >they can be more tricky to configure correctly.

          I've got an Inspiron 3800 and have successfully installed Red Hat 6.2,
          Mandrake 7.0, and Corel linuxes (and there's a copy of Caldera waiting for
          me to test this weekend). That's sequentially, not all at once.

          Red Hat 6.2's default X install has a couple strips of flickering pixels on
          the right side of the screen, which has also been reported at
          http://legoland.mednet.ucla.edu/loening/linux-3800.html. You may not have
          this problem, since the i5000 has different display and video hardware.

          Corel's installer did not work off the shelf; An updated set of CDs and
          floppy are available for free from Corel (no shipping charges, about five
          days' wait between order and arrival). Corel's installer does an
          independent auto-detect of video hardware without user intervention;
          Mandrake makes a best guess but allows the user to manually specify it as
          well.

          Of the three of these, Mandrake was the easiest to install and configure.
          It had none of the display and X configuration problems that have been
          discussed in this mailing list. Mandrake's install seems to be most ready
          for a workstation environment of the sort you're likely to want on a
          laptop, and it's based on Red Hat. It also has the most KDE/Gnome themes
          and games. (Whee.) It also has the biggest default workstation install,
          leaving a nearly 1.5gb footprint.

          >Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook
          >Pentium III processor, 600 MHz
          >15.0 Super XGA+ TFT display
          >64 MB, SDRAM, 1 DIMM
          >2X AGP 8MB ATI RAGE Mobility - P 3D Video
          >6GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
          >Internal 56K Capable V.90 Fax Modem
          >8X Max. Variable DVD-ROM drive
          >
          >I am most worried about the modem. Is is a WinModem? Also, are
          >there drivers for the DVD available. All help and advice about this
          >would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

          It is probably a winmodem. A Dell representative will be able to tell you
          specifically. If you're having the computer built to order, you may be able
          to delete the option or replace the winmodem with a PC card modem.

          Before I found this mailing list, I found the Linux on Laptops page
          invaluable; it has a massive linklist to individuals who have posted their
          install experiences on several hundred laptop models.
          http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

          AjD

          --
          Art Delano, New Media Designer "i've never felt so much
          Logic Solutions, Inc. peer pressure to be a
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
            This is almost exactly the system I just bought, but I didn't get an
            internal modem, and I loaded up the memory. Internal modems are often
            WIN modems, so why ask for trouble. With external modems you get what
            you want (see http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/ for list of supported
            cards). I got a "D-Link", "DMF560TX" (this text copied from carctl ident
            display) and had no trouble with it at all as modem and ethernet card.

            I got a lot of memory because I still want to have lots over the
            lifetime of the computer.

            I installed Caldera Openlinux 2.4, and it recognized everything BUT you
            have to use VGA=2 at the Lilo boot prompt for video to work, and you
            have to follow the instructions at
            http://intern.linpro.no/~janl/inspiron-5000.html#install if you want
            1400x1050 (which you do).

            Suspend requires more mucking around, but will work, and I need to
            recompile the kernel for APM ... that will come later.

            Ed Moynihan wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I am intending to buy a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook. The system
            > will come with Windows 98 by default and my wife will use that OS.
            > However, I intend to install RedHat 6.2 Linux for my own use. I have
            > never owned a notebook before and I have been led to believe that
            > they can be more tricky to configure correctly. Before I buy one,
            > I'd like to make sure that the system I am about to order has the
            > hardware so that Linux can be loaded with little difficulty. Here
            > is the system spec that I am ordering;
            >
            > Dell Inspiron 5000 Notebook
            > Pentium III processor, 600 MHz
            > 15.0 Super XGA+ TFT display
            > 64 MB, SDRAM, 1 DIMM
            > 2X AGP 8MB ATI RAGE Mobility - P 3D Video
            > 6GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
            > Internal 56K Capable V.90 Fax Modem
            > 8X Max. Variable DVD-ROM drive
            >
            > I am most worried about the modem. Is is a WinModem? Also, are
            > there drivers for the DVD available. All help and advice about this
            > would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
            >
            > -Ed.

            > Where do sports heroes like Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm,
            > Vince Carter and Peyton Manning hang out? Where else?
            > Click now and find ?em all here!
          • Ed Moynihan
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2000
              Thanks for the all the advice. I have decided that I will not be
              taking the standard option of the internal modem that Dell provides.
              Instead, I will take the option of a "56K capable V.90 Gold Card
              Global Modem (from Psion)". Just to set my mind at ease, has anyone
              else used this card as a modem for Linux? Is there a resource I
              should be looking at to see if this card has been used on other
              Linux systems? TIA.

              -Ed.