Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: XFree86 4.0

  • Scott Nash
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2000
      I tried those files and all I got was a blank screen. I tried all of the
      fixes to get X to work for Dell Inspiron 5000 with the SXGA+ and nothing
      would work. As i said in the other post. I got everything running by fixing
      the XF86Config file. When I say I want a Mach64 give me the Mach64. ;< Now
      I have to see how to load the font server and DPMS now that I went to
      Xfree86 4.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
        yep; redhat6.2 includes startup scripts for different login/window
        managers. i don't remember the exact details, but by looking at
        some files you should be able to figure out how it works and how
        to revert to your previous installation:

        check out /etc/inittab for which screen manager is used. standard X
        comes with xdm, redhat uses a script (/etc/X11/prefdm?) to startup
        a specific manager depending on a config file (/etc/sysconfig/desktop?)
        for gnome, you probably want to use gdm instead of xdm.

        hope that helps,
        roman

      • Paul Crowther
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
          thanks for this - filenames and details are correct, but gdm and xdm
          just startup GUI login screen. Beyond that it reverts to whatever
          is the default session manager. I've tracked down the control of the
          startup appls. and the all important session window manager to

          /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc (or ~/.xinitrc)

          Replacing 'twm &' with 'gnome-wm &' now fires up the gnome
          window manager (this is the case for RH6.2 but may not be identical
          for other Linux variants), but i'm still missing the useful sliding
          bottom control panel thingy.

          Perhaps all this nonsense has something to do with XFree86 3.3.6
          -> 4.0 moving all that X11 stuff around? Whatever the reason,
          my next problem is that i still seem to be struggling with firing
          up a non default (e.g. 8 bit/pix) X display even though the
          XF86Config file is in much better shape. I'm using

          startx -- -bpp 8

          How can i check that this xinit actually happens ok (rather than
          reverting to the default e.g 24 bit)? I ask because 8bit applications
          are still misbehaving and the CTRL/ALT/F1 screen which nicely
          illustrates what is going on only displays the final part of the
          startup (is it logged anywhere or can it be saved to disk?)

          cheers
          pac

          > yep; redhat6.2 includes startup scripts for different login/window
          > managers. i don't remember the exact details, but by looking at
          > some files you should be able to figure out how it works and how
          > to revert to your previous installation:
          >
          > check out /etc/inittab for which screen manager is used. standard X
          > comes with xdm, redhat uses a script (/etc/X11/prefdm?) to startup
          > a specific manager depending on a config file
          (/etc/sysconfig/desktop?)
          > for gnome, you probably want to use gdm instead of xdm.
          >
          > hope that helps,
          > roman

        • Bill O'Kane
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
            On Tue, 01 Aug 2000, you wrote:
            > thanks for this - filenames and details are correct, but gdm and xdm
            > just startup GUI login screen. Beyond that it reverts to whatever
            > is the default session manager. I've tracked down the control of the
            > startup appls. and the all important session window manager to
            >
            > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc (or ~/.xinitrc)
            >
            > Replacing 'twm &' with 'gnome-wm &' now fires up the gnome
            > window manager (this is the case for RH6.2 but may not be identical
            > for other Linux variants), but i'm still missing the useful sliding
            > bottom control panel thingy.
            >
            > Perhaps all this nonsense has something to do with XFree86 3.3.6
            > -> 4.0 moving all that X11 stuff around? Whatever the reason,
            > my next problem is that i still seem to be struggling with firing
            > up a non default (e.g. 8 bit/pix) X display even though the
            > XF86Config file is in much better shape. I'm using
            >
            > startx -- -bpp 8
            >
            > How can i check that this xinit actually happens ok (rather than
            > reverting to the default e.g 24 bit)? I ask because 8bit applications
            > are still misbehaving and the CTRL/ALT/F1 screen which nicely
            > illustrates what is going on only displays the final part of the
            > startup (is it logged anywhere or can it be saved to disk?)

            Hello

            Yes you can log it by adding >& /<outputfile>
            This will capture both the output and the errors.

            Example startx -- -bpp 8 >& /root/startx_log

            Hope this helps
            Bill