Re: XFree86 4.0

  • sjohni@catholic.org
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5 8:54 PM
      Whoa Stuart!

      I think if you look at Ryan Marsh's message, it concerns XFree86 4.0
      not 3.6.x. The files you have in the download area are concerning the
      older 3.6.x release NOT the 4.0 release. The XF86config file has
      changed a great deal, most notably the missing "modeline" arguments
      since 4.0 is supposed to support standard VESA resolutions out of the
      box.

      Ryan has a legitimate question and I'm glad he's muddling through it
      right now because I was contemplating trying XF86 4.0 on my Inspiron
      7.5 but don't have the time nor the guts to do it (go Ryan!). Please
      let us know how it goes.

      Thanks,

      sji

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "stuart blake tener"

    • Paul crowther
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
        heres a slightly different query on XFree86 4. I've just
        successfully upgraded my inspiron 3800 running RH6.2 to
        XFree86 4.01. All went well first time with ATI Mach64
        (i can provide details if there is any interest - 14in XGA screen),
        such that my pesky flickering columns have gone away and i can now
        boot up x with 8 bit/pix if i wish (neccessary for some work appl).

        However, firing up X now throws up the twm window manager
        instead of my previous gnome default. Anyone got an idea why
        this happened? or how to change my default back to gnome
        if i decide i want a windoze style manager with all the gadgets
        that it offers over twm? just how do i control which applications
        get started up by default for each window manager?

        ta
        pac
      • Arkaitz
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000

          On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 01:27:44PM -0000, Paul crowther wrote:

          > heres a slightly different query on XFree86 4. I've just
          > successfully upgraded my inspiron 3800 running RH6.2 to
          > XFree86 4.01. All went well first time with ATI Mach64
          > (i can provide details if there is any interest - 14in XGA screen),
          > such that my pesky flickering columns have gone away and i can now

          Does this mean that XFree86 4 fixes the problem of the flickering at 24 & 32 bpp
          in the Inspiron 3800?
          I can only make it work correctly at 16 bpp in RedHat 6.2

          Thanks,

          Arkaitz.