Re: XFree86 4.0

  • stuart blake tener
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2000
      Ryan:

      It absolutely amazes me how people on this list refuse to check our
      own file download area. Posted there are all the files necessary to
      make the ATI mobility work on a Dell laptop.

      Good luck!

      Stuart
      Beverly Hills, CA

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Ryan Marsh <ryan@c...> wrote:
      > XFree86 is supposed to have support for the MACH64 cards now,
      namely
      the

      linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com wrote:

      > > Explore the popular High-End Room -
      > > Go To Where The Smart People Shop-uBid.com

      > > There are 5 messages in this issue.
      > >
      > > Topics in this digest:
      > >
      > > 1. Re: RedHat 6.2 & Inspiron 7500
      > > From: Bill O'Kane <wrokane@l...>
      > > 2. LCD projector
      > > From: "george " <gg@p...>
      > > 3. suse 6.4 Install HANGS
      > > From: toraware@m...
      > > 4. Re: suse 6.4 Install HANGS
      > > From: Michel Berkelaar <michel@M...>
      > > 5. RE: RedHat 6.2 & Inspiron 7500
      > > From: "Jean Huveneers" <jeanhuveneers@g...>

      __

      __

      > > Message: 1
      > > Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 09:54:28 -0300
      > > From: Bill O'Kane <wrokane@l...>
      > > Subject: Re: RedHat 6.2 & Inspiron 7500
      > >
      > > On Tue, 04 Jul 2000, you wrote:
      > > > I have an Inspiron 7500 with the ATI Rage Mobility card.
      > > >
      > > > I have just installed RedHat 6.2 and am having the hardest time
      > > > configuring the X windows.
      > > >
      > > > I did some research on the web and found Steve Hsieh's
      instruction. I
      > > > followed his first method:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/x_method1.html
      > > >
      > > > I get no errors, however, I get NOTHING on my LCD.
      > > >
      > > > BUT...when I attach a monitor to my laptop, I get a descent
      display
      > > > on the monitor.
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone run into a similar problem and found a remedy for
      this?

      > > > Savings + service + convenience = beMANY!

      > > Hello
      > >
      > > I have been having the same problems with the I5000 and the ATI
      Mobility and
      > > Mandrake 7.0-2 and 7.1. I get a great display on both the monitor
      and the LCD
      > > panel. So far the only solution has been using a seperate
      monitor. The best
      > > part is nobody has been able to explain why the monitor trick
      works, that
      > > includes a couple of Linux guru's I know. A Suse install gave me
      a 16bpp
      > > 800x640. Its not too bad but I prefer the Mandrake, and that is
      way below the
      > > monitors cababilities.
      > >
      > > Tried all the tricks found about the web. Nothing is
      working.......but if I
      > > ever get this I'll definately post to the group.
      > >
      > > Also like to thank this group for all the suggestions I received.
      I tried them
      > > all........but I'm still black screened.
      > >
      > > Bill

      __

      __

      > > Message: 2
      > > Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:59:45 -0000
      > > From: "george " <gg@p...>
      > > Subject: LCD projector
      > >
      > > Hi there,
      > > I got my hands on a hitachi lcd projector. Although it seems to
      be
      > > working allright for resolutions up to 1024x768 under windows, I
      > > can't
      > > get it working under linux at all. Anybody can help?
      > > cheers,
      > > George Gozadinos
      > > gg@p...

      __

      __

      > > Message: 3
      > > Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 17:56:33 -0000
      > > From: toraware@m...
      > > Subject: suse 6.4 Install HANGS

      b"h

      > > I tried loading my Latitude CPi D300XT with Suse 6.4 because
      > > this distribution is supposed to have the most drivers and from
      the
      > > install it should be "ready to go". At the end of setup it asked
      me
      > > to reboot; I did. The system hung after the following lines:
      > >
      > > Starting syslog services ----> done
      > > PCMCIA: Starting services
      > > PCMCIA: using scheme: suse
      > >
      > > The next reboot, which of course was doomed to fail, ended with
      the
      > > following lines:

      > > fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot
      > > Give root password to login:
      > > (repair filesystem) #
      > >
      > > I have no docking station; Only a 56K modem; 128 Meg RAM and 6
      Gig
      > > hard disk (wiped clean of Windows). Not networked.
      > >
      > > Would appreciate your help - Meir

      __

      __

      > > Message: 4
      > > Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 11:47:23 -0700
      > > From: Michel Berkelaar <michel@M...>
      > > Subject: Re: suse 6.4 Install HANGS
      > >
      > > Boot from floppy (you made a rescue floppy, right?), then run fsck
      > > manually on the root partition of the hard drive (something like
      "fsck
      > > -y /dev/hda1", be sure to get the right drive name).
      > >
      > > Now pray, and hope fsck does not have to remove too many files.
      Removed
      > > files will end up in /lost+found. Try to boot again after a
      sucessful
      > > fsck run.
      > >
      > > If this fails, you will have to reinstall from scratch.
      > >
      > > Good luck,
      > >
      > > Michel Berkelaar
      > >
      > > toraware@m... wrote:

      b"h

      > > > I tried loading my Latitude CPi D300XT with Suse 6.4 because
      > > > this distribution is supposed to have the most drivers and from
      the
      > > > install it should be "ready to go". At the end of setup it
      asked me
      > > > to reboot; I did. The system hung after the following lines:
      > > >
      > > > Starting syslog services ----> done
      > > > PCMCIA: Starting services
      > > > PCMCIA: using scheme: suse
      > > >
      > > > The next reboot, which of course was doomed to fail, ended with
      the
      > > > following lines:

      > > > fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot
      > > > Give root password to login:
      > > > (repair filesystem) #
      > > >
      > > > I have no docking station; Only a 56K modem; 128 Meg RAM and 6
      Gig
      > > > hard disk (wiped clean of Windows). Not networked.
      > > >
      > > > Would appreciate your help - Meir

      > > > Lonely? Get Firetalk!
      > > > Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
      > > > Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.

      __

      __

      > > Message: 5
      > > Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:49:38 +0200
      > > From: "Jean Huveneers" <jeanhuveneers@g...>
      > > Subject: RE: RedHat 6.2 & Inspiron 7500

      > > > instruction. I

      > > > Hello
      > > >
      > > > I have been having the same problems with the I5000 and the
      > > > ATI Mobility and
      > > > Mandrake 7.0-2 and 7.1. I get a great display on both the
      > > > monitor and the LCD
      > > > panel. So far the only solution has been using a seperate
      > > > monitor. The best
      > > > part is nobody has been able to explain why the monitor trick
      > > > works, that
      > > > includes a couple of Linux guru's I know. A Suse install
      > > > gave me a 16bpp
      > > > 800x640. Its not too bad but I prefer the Mandrake, and that
      > > > is way below the
      > > > monitors cababilities.
      > > >
      > > > Tried all the tricks found about the web. Nothing is
      > > > working.......but if I
      > > > ever get this I'll definately post to the group.
      > > >
      > > > Also like to thank this group for all the suggestions I
      > > > received. I tried them
      > > > all........but I'm still black screened.
      > > >
      > > > Bill
      > > >
      > > Hi,
      > >

      > > I had similar problems with the ATI Mobility on my Inspiron 3800
      with
      > > Caldera OpenLinux 2.3.
      > > The only good working solution I found was downloading the new
      XFree86 4.0
      > > server.
      > >
      > > Jean

      __

      __

    • sjohni@catholic.org
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2000
        Whoa Stuart!

        I think if you look at Ryan Marsh's message, it concerns XFree86 4.0
        not 3.6.x. The files you have in the download area are concerning the
        older 3.6.x release NOT the 4.0 release. The XF86config file has
        changed a great deal, most notably the missing "modeline" arguments
        since 4.0 is supposed to support standard VESA resolutions out of the
        box.

        Ryan has a legitimate question and I'm glad he's muddling through it
        right now because I was contemplating trying XF86 4.0 on my Inspiron
        7.5 but don't have the time nor the guts to do it (go Ryan!). Please
        let us know how it goes.

        Thanks,

        sji

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "stuart blake tener"

      • Paul crowther
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
          heres a slightly different query on XFree86 4. I've just
          successfully upgraded my inspiron 3800 running RH6.2 to
          XFree86 4.01. All went well first time with ATI Mach64
          (i can provide details if there is any interest - 14in XGA screen),
          such that my pesky flickering columns have gone away and i can now
          boot up x with 8 bit/pix if i wish (neccessary for some work appl).

          However, firing up X now throws up the twm window manager
          instead of my previous gnome default. Anyone got an idea why
          this happened? or how to change my default back to gnome
          if i decide i want a windoze style manager with all the gadgets
          that it offers over twm? just how do i control which applications
          get started up by default for each window manager?

          ta
          pac
        • Arkaitz
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000

            On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 01:27:44PM -0000, Paul crowther wrote:

            > heres a slightly different query on XFree86 4. I've just
            > successfully upgraded my inspiron 3800 running RH6.2 to
            > XFree86 4.01. All went well first time with ATI Mach64
            > (i can provide details if there is any interest - 14in XGA screen),
            > such that my pesky flickering columns have gone away and i can now

            Does this mean that XFree86 4 fixes the problem of the flickering at 24 & 32 bpp
            in the Inspiron 3800?
            I can only make it work correctly at 16 bpp in RedHat 6.2

            Thanks,

            Arkaitz.