XFree86 4.0

  • Ryan Marsh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2000
      XFree86 is supposed to have support for the MACH64 cards now, namely the
      ATI Rage mobility. Has anyone gotten it to work on their laptop? I had a
      hell of a time configuring XF86Config and never got it to work (the file
      format has change somewhat).

      Oh, and to any body who attempts upgrading to 4.0 pls remember to backup
      /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 because the install blows away those directories
      with new stuff.

      -ryan

      On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 08:40:42AM -0000, linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com wrote:
> [...]
      >
      > Michel Berkelaar
      >
      > toraware@... wrote:
      > >
      > > b"h
      > >
      > > I tried loading my Latitude CPi D300XT with Suse 6.4 because
      > > this distribution is supposed to have the most drivers and from the
      > > install it should be "ready to go". At the end of setup it asked me
      > > to reboot; I did. The system hung after the following lines:
      > >
      > > Starting syslog services ----> done
      > > PCMCIA: Starting services
      > > PCMCIA: using scheme: suse
      > >
      > > The next reboot, which of course was doomed to fail, ended with the
      > > following lines:

      > > fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot
      > > Give root password to login:
      > > (repair filesystem) #
      > >
      > > I have no docking station; Only a 56K modem; 128 Meg RAM and 6 Gig
      > > hard disk (wiped clean of Windows). Not networked.
      > >
      > > Would appreciate your help - Meir

      > > Lonely? Get Firetalk!
      > > Free, unlimited calls anywhere in the world.
      > > Free voice chat on hundreds of topics.

      > Message: 5
      > Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 23:49:38 +0200
      > From: "Jean Huveneers" <jeanhuveneers@...>
      > Subject: RE: RedHat 6.2 & Inspiron 7500
      >
      > > On Tue, 04 Jul 2000, you wrote:
      > > > I have an Inspiron 7500 with the ATI Rage Mobility card.
      > > >
      > > > I have just installed RedHat 6.2 and am having the hardest time
      > > > configuring the X windows.
      > > >
      > > > I did some research on the web and found Steve Hsieh's
      > > instruction. I
      > > > followed his first method:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/x_method1.html
      > > >
      > > > I get no errors, however, I get NOTHING on my LCD.
      > > >
      > > > BUT...when I attach a monitor to my laptop, I get a descent display
      > > > on the monitor.
      > > >
      > > > Has anyone run into a similar problem and found a remedy for this?
      >
      > > Hello
      > >
      > > I have been having the same problems with the I5000 and the
      > > ATI Mobility and
      > > Mandrake 7.0-2 and 7.1. I get a great display on both the
      > > monitor and the LCD
      > > panel. So far the only solution has been using a seperate
      > > monitor. The best
      > > part is nobody has been able to explain why the monitor trick
      > > works, that
      > > includes a couple of Linux guru's I know. A Suse install
      > > gave me a 16bpp
      > > 800x640. Its not too bad but I prefer the Mandrake, and that
      > > is way below the
      > > monitors cababilities.
      > >
      > > Tried all the tricks found about the web. Nothing is
      > > working.......but if I
      > > ever get this I'll definately post to the group.
      > >
      > > Also like to thank this group for all the suggestions I
      > > received. I tried them
      > > all........but I'm still black screened.
      > >
      > > Bill
      > >
      > Hi,
      >

      > I had similar problems with the ATI Mobility on my Inspiron 3800 with
      > Caldera OpenLinux 2.3.
      > The only good working solution I found was downloading the new XFree86 4.0

      "Any way you look at it, all the information that a person accumulates
      in a lifetime is just a drop in the bucket."
      -- Bateau / Ghost in the Shell
    • stuart blake tener
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2000
        Ryan:

        It absolutely amazes me how people on this list refuse to check our
        own file download area. Posted there are all the files necessary to
        make the ATI mobility work on a Dell laptop.

        Good luck!

        Stuart
        Beverly Hills, CA

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Ryan Marsh <ryan@c...> wrote:
        > XFree86 is supposed to have support for the MACH64 cards now,
        namely
        the
        > ATI Rage mobility. Has anyone gotten it to work on their laptop? I
        had a
        > hell of a time configuring XF86Config and never got it to work (the
        file
        > format has change somewhat).
        >
        > Oh, and to any body who attempts upgrading to 4.0 pls remember to
        backup
        > /usr/X11R6 and /etc/X11 because the install blows away those
        directories
        > with new stuff.
        >
        > -ryan
        >
        > On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 08:40:42AM -0000,
        linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com wrote:

        > > Explore the popular High-End Room -
        > > Go To Where The Smart People Shop-uBid.com

        > > There are 5 messages in this issue.
        > >
        > > Topics in this digest:
        > >
        > > 1. Re: RedHat 6.2 & Inspiron 7500
        > > From: Bill O'Kane <wrokane@l...>
        > > 2. LCD projector
        > > From: "george " <gg@p...>
        > > 3. suse 6.4 Install HANGS
        > > From: toraware@m...
        > > 4. Re: suse 6.4 Install HANGS
        > > From: Michel Berkelaar <michel@M...>
        > > 5. RE: RedHat 6.2 & Inspiron 7500
        > > From: "Jean Huveneers" <jeanhuveneers@g...>

        __

        __

        > > Message: 1
        > > Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 09:54:28 -0300
        > > From: Bill O'Kane <wrokane@l...>
        > > Subject: Re: RedHat 6.2 & Inspiron 7500
        > >
        > > On Tue, 04 Jul 2000, you wrote:
        > > > I have an Inspiron 7500 with the ATI Rage Mobility card.
        > > >
        > > > I have just installed RedHat 6.2 and am having the hardest time
        > > > configuring the X windows.
        > > >
        > > > I did some research on the web and found Steve Hsieh's
        instruction. I
        > > > followed his first method:
        > > >
        > > > http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/x_method1.html
        > > >
        > > > I get no errors, however, I get NOTHING on my LCD.
        > > >
        > > > BUT...when I attach a monitor to my laptop, I get a descent
        display
        > > > on the monitor.
        > > >
        > > > Has anyone run into a similar problem and found a remedy for
        this?

        > > > Savings + service + convenience = beMANY!

        > > Hello
        > >
        > > I have been having the same problems with the I5000 and the ATI
        Mobility and
        > > Mandrake 7.0-2 and 7.1. I get a great display on both the monitor
        and the LCD
        > > panel. So far the only solution has been using a seperate
        monitor. The best
        > > part is nobody has been able to explain why the monitor trick
        works, that
        > > includes a couple of Linux guru's I know. A Suse install gave me
        a 16bpp
        > > 800x640. Its not too bad but I prefer the Mandrake, and that is
        way below the
        > > monitors cababilities.
        > >
        > > Tried all the tricks found about the web. Nothing is
        working.......but if I
        > > ever get this I'll definately post to the group.
        > >
        > > Also like to thank this group for all the suggestions I received.
        I tried them
        > > all........but I'm still black screened.
        > >
        > > Bill

        __

        __

        > > Message: 2
        > > Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:59:45 -0000
        > > From: "george " <gg@p...>
        > > Subject: LCD projector
        > >
        > > Hi there,
        > > I got my hands on a hitachi lcd projector. Although it seems to
        be
        > > working allright for resolutions up to 1024x768 under windows, I
        > > can't
        > > get it working under linux at all. Anybody can help?
        > > cheers,
        > > George Gozadinos
        > > gg@p...

        __

        __

> [...]

        > > > part is nobody has been able to explain why the monitor trick
        > > > works, that
        > > > includes a couple of Linux guru's I know. A Suse install
        > > > gave me a 16bpp
        > > > 800x640. Its not too bad but I prefer the Mandrake, and that
        > > > is way below the
        > > > monitors cababilities.
        > > >
        > > > Tried all the tricks found about the web. Nothing is
        > > > working.......but if I
        > > > ever get this I'll definately post to the group.
        > > >
        > > > Also like to thank this group for all the suggestions I
        > > > received. I tried them
        > > > all........but I'm still black screened.
        > > >
        > > > Bill
        > > >
        > > Hi,
        > >

        > > I had similar problems with the ATI Mobility on my Inspiron 3800
        with
        > > Caldera OpenLinux 2.3.
        > > The only good working solution I found was downloading the new

        __

        __

      • sjohni@catholic.org
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2000
          Whoa Stuart!

          I think if you look at Ryan Marsh's message, it concerns XFree86 4.0
          not 3.6.x. The files you have in the download area are concerning the
          older 3.6.x release NOT the 4.0 release. The XF86config file has
          changed a great deal, most notably the missing "modeline" arguments
          since 4.0 is supposed to support standard VESA resolutions out of the
          box.

          Ryan has a legitimate question and I'm glad he's muddling through it
          right now because I was contemplating trying XF86 4.0 on my Inspiron
          7.5 but don't have the time nor the guts to do it (go Ryan!). Please
          let us know how it goes.

          Thanks,

          sji

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "stuart blake tener"

        • Paul crowther
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
            heres a slightly different query on XFree86 4. I've just
            successfully upgraded my inspiron 3800 running RH6.2 to
            XFree86 4.01. All went well first time with ATI Mach64
            (i can provide details if there is any interest - 14in XGA screen),
            such that my pesky flickering columns have gone away and i can now
            boot up x with 8 bit/pix if i wish (neccessary for some work appl).

            However, firing up X now throws up the twm window manager
            instead of my previous gnome default. Anyone got an idea why
            this happened? or how to change my default back to gnome
            if i decide i want a windoze style manager with all the gadgets
            that it offers over twm? just how do i control which applications
            get started up by default for each window manager?

            ta
            pac
          • Arkaitz
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2000
              Hi,

              On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 01:27:44PM -0000, Paul crowther wrote:

              > heres a slightly different query on XFree86 4. I've just
              > successfully upgraded my inspiron 3800 running RH6.2 to
              > XFree86 4.01. All went well first time with ATI Mach64
              > (i can provide details if there is any interest - 14in XGA screen),
              > such that my pesky flickering columns have gone away and i can now

              Does this mean that XFree86 4 fixes the problem of the flickering at 24 & 32 bpp
              in the Inspiron 3800?
              I can only make it work correctly at 16 bpp in RedHat 6.2

              Thanks,

              Arkaitz.