Re: [linux-dell-laptops] suse 6.4 Install HANGS

  • Michel Berkelaar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2000
      Boot from floppy (you made a rescue floppy, right?), then run fsck
      manually on the root partition of the hard drive (something like "fsck
      -y /dev/hda1", be sure to get the right drive name).

      Now pray, and hope fsck does not have to remove too many files. Removed
      files will end up in /lost+found. Try to boot again after a sucessful
      fsck run.

      If this fails, you will have to reinstall from scratch.

      Good luck,

      Michel Berkelaar

    • toraware@mail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2000
        B"H

        Dear Michel,

        Thanks for responding. It seems that the PCMCIA card in my laptop
        goes unrecognized with Suse 6.4. I tried a "minimal" configuration
        and removed from the PCMCIA package, and then I setup successfully.

        Not really though. I have no modem yet, nor sound either.

        I figured after the setup I could rerun the CD and install the
        packages I wanted but I did not know what to type in from the command
        line.

        I thought that an "install" loads up and configures the chosen
        packages. It seems I thought wrong, because I'm sure I picked the
        xfsetup package but it never showed up.

        How does Linux work - if during setup I select packages - where are
        these packages and how do I turn them on?

        I'd be grateful for your help. Thank you. Meir