RE Inspiron 5000 and Linux-Mandrake

  • Ilan Volow
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bill O'Kane [mailto:wrokane@...]
      Sent: Friday, June 30, 2000 4:05 AM
      To: linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com
      Subject: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspirion 5000 and
      Linux-Mandrake

      >Hello

      >Has anybody had any luck getting X up and running
      >with the Inspirion
      5000
      >and Mandrake 7.0-2 or 7.1
      >Have tried hacked servers, edited Config files,
      >premade Config files,
      >servers from other distros, nothing works.

      >Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

      >Thanks
      >Bill

      The suggestion I followed when I encountered this
      problem was to open up lilo.conf and change

      vga=normal

      vga=2

      and then run /sbin/lilo

      X now runs seems to run ok. Of course, even after I
      made this change to lilo.conf, there were one or two
      resolution settings that acted funny, so you might
      have to play around with the resolutions a little. I
      have no idea what vga=2 does or whether it utilizes
      the ATI chipset to its full potential. If anyone on
      the list can shed some light on this, I'd be very
      grateful.

      --Ilan

      http://invites.yahoo.com/