[linux-dell-laptops] support for Latitude LT CD-ROM PCMCIA card?

  • ashton@geog.ucsb.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 1999
      Hello,

      I'm installing Red Hat 6.0 on my Latitude LT. I have the Dell 20x
      cd-rom drive (manufactured by Matshita, #UJDB120), which plugs into the
      pcmcia port on a mysteriously generic looking card. The drive itself is
      ATAPI, while the card appears to be SCSI. It works fine under Win 95,
      and is recognized by BIOS on boot.

      The install was (eventually) successful, X looks great, but... linux
      won't recognize the cd-rom. I am trying to determine if the card is
      supported, but have been unable to identify the manufacturer, model #,
      etc. It is not in the Dell technical specs for the drive, and it is not
      on the card itself. Email to Dell support has gone unanswered.

      So... anyone know what the specs are for this pcmcia card? Or where I
      might look to find out?

      An even more basic question: has anyone here been successful in getting
      the Dell pcmcia Matshita cdrom to talk to linux on their Latitude LT? I
      know I am not the only one with this problem, and any solutions would
      be GREATLY appreciated!
    • ashton@geog.ucsb.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3 3:33 PM
        ashto-@... wrote:
        =75

        Hi again,

        Dell support got back with information about the PC-card. It's a
        Panasonic KME KXL-C005 ATAPI card. More than that they could not dig
        up. This card does not appear to be supported by the PCMCIA package at
        this time. If anyone has had success, I'd love to hear from you!