Re: Which network card on inspiron 8100 ?

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
      Did your RH 7.2 correctly install the video drivers? I'm a linux
      newbie using RH 7.1. I'm managed to get the default laptop install to
      login via text mode, since no other optioins gave me a working video
      combination. But I'm in the dark about many linux
      commands/procedures. Thus if I can take an easy way out.....;-)

      help.
    • ---(rick moranis)---
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
        What video card do you have? There are supposed to be some difficulties in
        getting the G-Force cards to work properly. I have not had a single problem
        with my ATI Mobility card. So if that's what you're using it would be the
        first I have heard of it.

      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
          just to let you know the miniPCI combo card's modem (assuming you get
          the 3Com, and not the actiontec) won't work under Linux...

          On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:38:11AM -0000, mizzio@... wrote:
          > Hi everyone,
          > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat 7.2
          > on it.
          > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for the
          > 90% of the time connected to a network.
          > Which is the best solution ?
          > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
          > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
          > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
          > Thanks,
          > mizzio

        • michael carr
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
            Long live the Internal Wireless Card!!!

            mikey >;)

            --- Stephen Lau <slau@...> wrote:
            > just to let you know the miniPCI combo card's modem (assuming you get
            > the 3Com, and not the actiontec) won't work under Linux...
            >
            > On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:38:11AM -0000, mizzio@... wrote:
            > > Hi everyone,
            > > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat
            > 7.2
            > > on it.
            > > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for
            > the
            > > 90% of the time connected to a network.
            > > Which is the best solution ?
            > > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
            > > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
            > > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
            > > Thanks,
            > > mizzio

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > >

            > --
            > stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
            > student
            > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com
          • danielg@ankylosaur.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mizzio@s... wrote:
              > Hi everyone,
              > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat 7.2
              > on it.
              > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for the
              > 90% of the time connected to a network.
              > Which is the best solution ?
              > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
              > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
              > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

              I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
              combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work great, the
              linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
              guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed to the
              same number.

              DanH
            • ---(rick moranis)---
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                What internal wireless card?

              • michael carr
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                  its listed on dell's site as the "True Mobile 1150" and i ordered mine
                  in the internal mini-PCI slot... since the real PCMCIA wireless cards
                  have antennas that make the card an inch longer than regular cards,
                  hence a big risk of snapping the card in half (my roommate broke his
                  within 3 weeks of having his linksys card). with the interal mini-PCI,
                  the antenna goes into the LCD display IIRC and leaves you with 2 PCMCIA
                  slots (that i filled with a Xircom ethernet+modem i had lying around).
                  i never have to pull/replace cards because i have everything i need all
                  in the laptop all the time. its great!

                  mikey >;)

                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                    So the internal modem and ethernet slots are really mini pci slots? Does
                    that mean I can change them out if I wanted to or are the cards built into
                    the bus?

                  • michael carr
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                      they say that its a "mini-pci" card. weather its on the bus or a real
                      "card" is unknown. i've only had my laptop 2 weeks, so i haven't
                      cracked it open yet... and since it's my companies, i dont think i ever
                      will open it up.

                      mikey >;)

                      --- "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@...> wrote:
                      > So the internal modem and ethernet slots are really mini pci slots?
                      > Does
                      > that mean I can change them out if I wanted to or are the cards built
                      > into
                      > the bus?

                      Find a job, post your resume.
                      http://careers.yahoo.com
                    • ---(rick moranis)---
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                        That sounds reasonable. I am a bit hesitant to take my apart as well.
                        Maybe I'll just search around for it.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 3, 2001
                          > they say that its a "mini-pci" card. weather its on the bus or a real
                          > "card" is unknown. i've only had my laptop 2 weeks, so i haven't
                          > cracked it open yet... and since it's my companies, i dont think i ever
                          > will open it up.

                          The mini-PCI cards are cards, so they can be swapped out, *IF* you
                          can get the right format of card to swap in.

                          --
                          John Cronin
                        • Maurizio Bertoldi
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                            On Friday 2 November 2001 21:48, you wrote:
                            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mizzio@s... wrote:
                            > > Hi everyone,
                            > > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat 7.2
                            > > on it.
                            > > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for the
                            > > 90% of the time connected to a network.
                            > > Which is the best solution ?
                            > > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
                            > > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
                            > > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
                            >
                            > I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
                            > combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work great, the
                            > linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
                            > guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed to the
                            > same number.

                            this is very interesting to me.
                            which card ships with the inspiron 8100, the 3Com or the Intel ?
                            would youy mind sending me the output of your dmesg just to see which drivers
                            you are using ?
                            thank you in advance,
                            maurizio

                            > DanH

                          • Stephen Lau
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                              On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 04:45:11PM +0100, Maurizio Bertoldi wrote:
                              > On Friday 2 November 2001 21:48, you wrote:
                              > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mizzio@s... wrote:
                              > > > Hi everyone,
                              > > > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat 7.2
                              > > > on it.
                              > > > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for the
                              > > > 90% of the time connected to a network.
                              > > > Which is the best solution ?
                              > > > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
                              > > > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
                              > > > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
                              > >
                              > > I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
                              > > combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work great, the
                              > > linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
                              > > guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed to the
                              > > same number.
                              >
                              > this is very interesting to me.
                              > which card ships with the inspiron 8100, the 3Com or the Intel ?
                              > would youy mind sending me the output of your dmesg just to see which drivers
                              > you are using ?
                              > thank you in advance,
                              > maurizio

                              if he's using the eepro100 driver, then he doesn't have the 3com card, he
                              has the ActionTec combo which IS supported under linux's ltmodem driver

                            • Stephen Lau
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 08:48:12PM -0000, danielg@... wrote:
                                > I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
                                > combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work great, the
                                > linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
                                > guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed to the
                                > same number.
                                >
                                > DanH

                                You have the ActionTec combo, not the 3Com combo...

                              • danielg@ankylosaur.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
                                  > On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 04:45:11PM +0100, Maurizio Bertoldi wrote:
                                  > > On Friday 2 November 2001 21:48, you wrote:
                                  > > > I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
                                  > > > combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work
                                  great, the
                                  > > > linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
                                  > > > guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed
                                  to the
                                  > > > same number.
                                  > >
                                  > > this is very interesting to me.
                                  > > which card ships with the inspiron 8100, the 3Com or the Intel ?
                                  > > would youy mind sending me the output of your dmesg just to see
                                  which drivers
                                  > > you are using ?
                                  > > thank you in advance,
                                  > > maurizio
                                  >
                                  > if he's using the eepro100 driver, then he doesn't have the 3com
                                  card, he
                                  > has the ActionTec combo which IS supported under linux's ltmodem driver
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad student
                                  > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website

                                  I think there's a choice with the internal ones. This is the dmesg
                                  for my network card. Apparently I have the ActionTec combo.
                                  Linmodems.org's driver works great for the 56k winmodem on here as well.

                                  eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker
                                  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html
                                  eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.36 $ 2000/11/17 Modified by Andrey V.
                                  Savochkin <saw@...> and others
                                  eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet, 00:20:E0:6C:8F:19, IRQ 10.
                                  Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
                                  Board assembly 727095-002, Physical connectors present: RJ45
                                  Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
                                  General self-test: passed.
                                  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
                                  Internal registers self-test: passed.
                                  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x04f4518b).
                                  Receiver lock-up workaround activated.
                                • unixfanu@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                    Cheers geeks .. am encountering problems too with my Dell I8100 ..
                                    I had this Internal 3com Network card and Modem combo .. My problem
                                    is concerning about the modem.. I tried it configuring using the the
                                    kpppd .. the configuration was okei .. the device was connected
                                    to /dev/ttyS0 and tried to query through "MODEM QUERY" button and it
                                    responds .. but when i tried to dial the ISP it stucked with the
                                    message "Initializing Modem" .. also am a newbie to linux and dont
                                    know what to put on the ATI Configuration ... i was prompted with
                                    this window when i queried the modem but leave nothing on this 7
                                    input options .. anyone can give me a hand with this ?

                                    i've tried also using the wvdial and put some configuration
                                    on /etc/wvdial.conf w/ Modem = /dev/ttyS0 but the modem is not
                                    responding ...

                                    i searched from this forum and i've seen all your comments but i've
                                    noticed that those things concern only with the capabilities as a
                                    network card ... is there a work around to make this 3COM MPCI NIC &
                                    Modem combo working under linux ?? hope to hear from u guys ..

                                    thanks ..

                                    Bhay

                                    LONG LIVE LINUX !!!!!!
                                    The best thing in the world is Free !!!!!

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                      the winmodem on the 3Com internal combo is not supported under Linux

                                      -steve

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                        that's why i love my xircom 10/100+56k. it takes up both pcmcia slots,
                                        but its got the jacks internal, so there's no dongle to lose or break.
                                        Its easily supported in linux, and it gives me great speed. with one of
                                        those in my c810 with the internal mini-pci wireless card, i have any
                                        possible combination i could need, except for Compact Flash reading,
                                        which i have a separate PCMCIA card for.

                                        ps: 3com makes a card like the xircom now, and there's a deal posted in
                                        this group to get it for 59 bux. dunno if its got linux support for
                                        both parts tho.

                                        mikey >;)

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                          thanks for the info guys ... before then i was planning to get the
                                          xircom but i think WinME dont support xircom combo card so i chose
                                          3com ( am running dual OS ).. tsk .. tsk .. tsk .. too bad ... 3com
                                          doesnt support 3com Mpci Combo for linux .. tsk tsk tsk .....
                                          thanks for the info .. hope 3com will support this at latter time ...

                                          Bhay

                                        • Stephen Lau
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                            not likely...3com doesn't seem to give a rats ass about linux support
                                            for that winmodem. someone from 3com came on the list ages ago asking
                                            if there was a demand for it - we all said yes, and then he promptly
                                            disappeared. go figure

                                            -steve

                                            On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 12:05:38AM -0000, unixfanu@... wrote:

                                            > thanks for the info guys ... before then i was planning to get the
                                            > xircom but i think WinME dont support xircom combo card so i chose
                                            > 3com ( am running dual OS ).. tsk .. tsk .. tsk .. too bad ... 3com
                                            > doesnt support 3com Mpci Combo for linux .. tsk tsk tsk .....
                                            > thanks for the info .. hope 3com will support this at latter time ...
                                            >
                                            > Bhay
                                            >

                                            > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., michael carr <pweiproduct@y...> wrote:
                                            > > that's why i love my xircom 10/100+56k. it takes up both pcmcia
                                            > slots,
                                            > > but its got the jacks internal, so there's no dongle to lose or
                                            > break.
                                            > > Its easily supported in linux, and it gives me great speed. with
                                            > one of
                                            > > those in my c810 with the internal mini-pci wireless card, i have
                                            > any
                                            > > possible combination i could need, except for Compact Flash reading,
                                            > > which i have a separate PCMCIA card for.
                                            > >
                                            > > ps: 3com makes a card like the xircom now, and there's a deal
                                            > posted in
                                            > > this group to get it for 59 bux. dunno if its got linux support for
                                            > > both parts tho.
                                            > >
                                            > > mikey >;)
                                            > >
                                            > > --- Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
                                            > > > the winmodem on the 3Com internal combo is not supported under
                                            > Linux
                                            > > >
                                            > > > -steve

                                            > I8100
                                            > > > ..
                                            > > > problem
                                            > > > the
                                            > connected
                                            > and
                                            > > > it
                                            > the
                                            > dont
                                            > with
                                            > 7

                                            > > > i've
                                            > NIC
                                            > > > &
                                            > guys ..

                                            > installing
                                            > use
                                            > > > it
                                            > modem
                                            > > > +

                                            > the
                                            > work
                                            > > > the
                                            > > > dialed

                                            > Intel
                                            > > > ?
                                            > see

                                            > 3com
                                            > ltmodem

                                            > grad

                                            > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                            > > > >

                                            > > > --
                                            > > > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
                                            > > > student
                                            > > > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website
                                            > > >

                                            > > > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature

                                            > > Find a job, post your resume.
                                            > > http://careers.yahoo.com

                                          • ---(rick moranis)---
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                              My guess is that you're using the linmodem package. if you are, the modem is
                                              ttyLT0. link that to /dev/modem. you should have no problems using kppp. i
                                              use kppp with the internal linmodem.