Re: Which network card on inspiron 8100 ?

  • bharat_b_verma@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
      Yes, the internal network card worked just fine after Red Hat 7.2
      installation. One of the first things I did after installation was to
      ftp to ftp.redhat.com with my laptop connected to the Linksys Router,
      and it was working OK.

      Cheers.
      Bharat.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mizzio@s... wrote:
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "---(rick moranis)---"
      > <iamdeus5@h...> wrote:
      > > If you plan on using the modem I would definately get the
      internal
      > one. I
      > > would get the internal ethernet/modem combo. If the chipset of
      the
      > modem in
      > > the 8100 series is the same as the 8000 it will work without a
      > problem. I'm
      > > almost positive that the interal card works. For pcmcia, 3com
      > cards work
      > > great. I use the internal modem and the 3com card for my cablem
      > modem.
      > > Save yourself the two slots and get the internal hardware. Check
      > up on the
      > > ethernet card though.
      >
      > thank you,
      > anyone can tell me for sure if the internal network card works ?
      > If it works, can I get full 100mb/s ?
      > regards,
      > mizzio
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
        Did your RH 7.2 correctly install the video drivers? I'm a linux
        newbie using RH 7.1. I'm managed to get the default laptop install to
        login via text mode, since no other optioins gave me a working video
        combination. But I'm in the dark about many linux
        commands/procedures. Thus if I can take an easy way out.....;-)

        help.
      • ---(rick moranis)---
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
          What video card do you have? There are supposed to be some difficulties in
          getting the G-Force cards to work properly. I have not had a single problem
          with my ATI Mobility card. So if that's what you're using it would be the
          first I have heard of it.

        • Stephen Lau
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
            just to let you know the miniPCI combo card's modem (assuming you get
            the 3Com, and not the actiontec) won't work under Linux...

            On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:38:11AM -0000, mizzio@... wrote:
            > Hi everyone,
            > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat 7.2
            > on it.
            > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for the
            > 90% of the time connected to a network.
            > Which is the best solution ?
            > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
            > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
            > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
            > Thanks,
            > mizzio

          • michael carr
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
              Long live the Internal Wireless Card!!!

              mikey >;)

              --- Stephen Lau <slau@...> wrote:
              > just to let you know the miniPCI combo card's modem (assuming you get
              > the 3Com, and not the actiontec) won't work under Linux...
              >
              > On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 11:38:11AM -0000, mizzio@... wrote:
              > > Hi everyone,
              > > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat
              > 7.2
              > > on it.
              > > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for
              > the
              > > 90% of the time connected to a network.
              > > Which is the best solution ?
              > > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
              > > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
              > > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
              > > Thanks,
              > > mizzio

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              > >

              > --
              > stephen lau :: [slau@...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
              > student
              > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website

              Find a job, post your resume.
              http://careers.yahoo.com
            • danielg@ankylosaur.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mizzio@s... wrote:
                > Hi everyone,
                > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat 7.2
                > on it.
                > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for the
                > 90% of the time connected to a network.
                > Which is the best solution ?
                > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
                > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
                > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

                I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
                combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work great, the
                linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
                guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed to the
                same number.

                DanH
              • ---(rick moranis)---
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                  What internal wireless card?

                • michael carr
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                    its listed on dell's site as the "True Mobile 1150" and i ordered mine
                    in the internal mini-PCI slot... since the real PCMCIA wireless cards
                    have antennas that make the card an inch longer than regular cards,
                    hence a big risk of snapping the card in half (my roommate broke his
                    within 3 weeks of having his linksys card). with the interal mini-PCI,
                    the antenna goes into the LCD display IIRC and leaves you with 2 PCMCIA
                    slots (that i filled with a Xircom ethernet+modem i had lying around).
                    i never have to pull/replace cards because i have everything i need all
                    in the laptop all the time. its great!

                    mikey >;)

                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                      So the internal modem and ethernet slots are really mini pci slots? Does
                      that mean I can change them out if I wanted to or are the cards built into
                      the bus?

                    • michael carr
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                        they say that its a "mini-pci" card. weather its on the bus or a real
                        "card" is unknown. i've only had my laptop 2 weeks, so i haven't
                        cracked it open yet... and since it's my companies, i dont think i ever
                        will open it up.

                        mikey >;)

                        --- "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@...> wrote:
                        > So the internal modem and ethernet slots are really mini pci slots?
                        > Does
                        > that mean I can change them out if I wanted to or are the cards built
                        > into
                        > the bus?

                        Find a job, post your resume.
                        http://careers.yahoo.com
                      • ---(rick moranis)---
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 2, 2001
                          That sounds reasonable. I am a bit hesitant to take my apart as well.
                          Maybe I'll just search around for it.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 3, 2001
                            > they say that its a "mini-pci" card. weather its on the bus or a real
                            > "card" is unknown. i've only had my laptop 2 weeks, so i haven't
                            > cracked it open yet... and since it's my companies, i dont think i ever
                            > will open it up.

                            The mini-PCI cards are cards, so they can be swapped out, *IF* you
                            can get the right format of card to swap in.

                            --
                            John Cronin
                          • Maurizio Bertoldi
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                              On Friday 2 November 2001 21:48, you wrote:
                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mizzio@s... wrote:
                              > > Hi everyone,
                              > > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat 7.2
                              > > on it.
                              > > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for the
                              > > 90% of the time connected to a network.
                              > > Which is the best solution ?
                              > > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
                              > > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
                              > > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
                              >
                              > I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
                              > combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work great, the
                              > linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
                              > guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed to the
                              > same number.

                              this is very interesting to me.
                              which card ships with the inspiron 8100, the 3Com or the Intel ?
                              would youy mind sending me the output of your dmesg just to see which drivers
                              you are using ?
                              thank you in advance,
                              maurizio

                              > DanH

                            • Stephen Lau
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 04:45:11PM +0100, Maurizio Bertoldi wrote:
                                > On Friday 2 November 2001 21:48, you wrote:
                                > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., mizzio@s... wrote:
                                > > > Hi everyone,
                                > > > I'm about to buy an inspiron 8100 and I will be installing Redhat 7.2
                                > > > on it.
                                > > > I have to decide how to configure the machine; I will use it for the
                                > > > 90% of the time connected to a network.
                                > > > Which is the best solution ?
                                > > > The miniPCI modem + ethernet combo, the Xircom PCMCIA modem +
                                > > > ethernet, or modem + 3COM PCMCIA ?
                                > > > Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
                                > >
                                > > I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
                                > > combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work great, the
                                > > linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
                                > > guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed to the
                                > > same number.
                                >
                                > this is very interesting to me.
                                > which card ships with the inspiron 8100, the 3Com or the Intel ?
                                > would youy mind sending me the output of your dmesg just to see which drivers
                                > you are using ?
                                > thank you in advance,
                                > maurizio

                                if he's using the eepro100 driver, then he doesn't have the 3com card, he
                                has the ActionTec combo which IS supported under linux's ltmodem driver

                              • Stephen Lau
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                  On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 08:48:12PM -0000, danielg@... wrote:
                                  > I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
                                  > combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work great, the
                                  > linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
                                  > guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed to the
                                  > same number.
                                  >
                                  > DanH

                                  You have the ActionTec combo, not the 3Com combo...

                                • danielg@ankylosaur.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
                                    > On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 04:45:11PM +0100, Maurizio Bertoldi wrote:
                                    > > On Friday 2 November 2001 21:48, you wrote:
                                    > > > I've heard the internal 3Com doesn't work, but I've got the internal
                                    > > > combo card, 10/100 (eepro100) and 56K winmodem. Both work
                                    great, the
                                    > > > linmodem driver is how I'm writing this and I usually beat the WIN
                                    > > > guys around here for throughput on the same phone lines dialed
                                    to the
                                    > > > same number.
                                    > >
                                    > > this is very interesting to me.
                                    > > which card ships with the inspiron 8100, the 3Com or the Intel ?
                                    > > would youy mind sending me the output of your dmesg just to see
                                    which drivers
                                    > > you are using ?
                                    > > thank you in advance,
                                    > > maurizio
                                    >
                                    > if he's using the eepro100 driver, then he doesn't have the 3com
                                    card, he
                                    > has the ActionTec combo which IS supported under linux's ltmodem driver
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad student
                                    > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website

                                    I think there's a choice with the internal ones. This is the dmesg
                                    for my network card. Apparently I have the ActionTec combo.
                                    Linmodems.org's driver works great for the 56k winmodem on here as well.

                                    eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker
                                    http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html
                                    eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.36 $ 2000/11/17 Modified by Andrey V.
                                    Savochkin <saw@...> and others
                                    eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet, 00:20:E0:6C:8F:19, IRQ 10.
                                    Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
                                    Board assembly 727095-002, Physical connectors present: RJ45
                                    Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
                                    General self-test: passed.
                                    Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
                                    Internal registers self-test: passed.
                                    ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x04f4518b).
                                    Receiver lock-up workaround activated.
                                  • unixfanu@yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                      Cheers geeks .. am encountering problems too with my Dell I8100 ..
                                      I had this Internal 3com Network card and Modem combo .. My problem
                                      is concerning about the modem.. I tried it configuring using the the
                                      kpppd .. the configuration was okei .. the device was connected
                                      to /dev/ttyS0 and tried to query through "MODEM QUERY" button and it
                                      responds .. but when i tried to dial the ISP it stucked with the
                                      message "Initializing Modem" .. also am a newbie to linux and dont
                                      know what to put on the ATI Configuration ... i was prompted with
                                      this window when i queried the modem but leave nothing on this 7
                                      input options .. anyone can give me a hand with this ?

                                      i've tried also using the wvdial and put some configuration
                                      on /etc/wvdial.conf w/ Modem = /dev/ttyS0 but the modem is not
                                      responding ...

                                      i searched from this forum and i've seen all your comments but i've
                                      noticed that those things concern only with the capabilities as a
                                      network card ... is there a work around to make this 3COM MPCI NIC &
                                      Modem combo working under linux ?? hope to hear from u guys ..

                                      thanks ..

                                      Bhay

                                      LONG LIVE LINUX !!!!!!
                                      The best thing in the world is Free !!!!!

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                        the winmodem on the 3Com internal combo is not supported under Linux

                                        -steve

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                          that's why i love my xircom 10/100+56k. it takes up both pcmcia slots,
                                          but its got the jacks internal, so there's no dongle to lose or break.
                                          Its easily supported in linux, and it gives me great speed. with one of
                                          those in my c810 with the internal mini-pci wireless card, i have any
                                          possible combination i could need, except for Compact Flash reading,
                                          which i have a separate PCMCIA card for.

                                          ps: 3com makes a card like the xircom now, and there's a deal posted in
                                          this group to get it for 59 bux. dunno if its got linux support for
                                          both parts tho.

                                          mikey >;)

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                            thanks for the info guys ... before then i was planning to get the
                                            xircom but i think WinME dont support xircom combo card so i chose
                                            3com ( am running dual OS ).. tsk .. tsk .. tsk .. too bad ... 3com
                                            doesnt support 3com Mpci Combo for linux .. tsk tsk tsk .....
                                            thanks for the info .. hope 3com will support this at latter time ...

                                            Bhay

                                          • Stephen Lau
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                              not likely...3com doesn't seem to give a rats ass about linux support
                                              for that winmodem. someone from 3com came on the list ages ago asking
                                              if there was a demand for it - we all said yes, and then he promptly
                                              disappeared. go figure

                                              -steve

                                              On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 12:05:38AM -0000, unixfanu@... wrote:

                                              > thanks for the info guys ... before then i was planning to get the
                                              > xircom but i think WinME dont support xircom combo card so i chose
                                              > 3com ( am running dual OS ).. tsk .. tsk .. tsk .. too bad ... 3com
                                              > doesnt support 3com Mpci Combo for linux .. tsk tsk tsk .....
                                              > thanks for the info .. hope 3com will support this at latter time ...
                                              >
                                              > Bhay
                                              >

                                              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., michael carr <pweiproduct@y...> wrote:
                                              > > that's why i love my xircom 10/100+56k. it takes up both pcmcia
                                              > slots,
                                              > > but its got the jacks internal, so there's no dongle to lose or
                                              > break.
                                              > > Its easily supported in linux, and it gives me great speed. with
                                              > one of
                                              > > those in my c810 with the internal mini-pci wireless card, i have
                                              > any
                                              > > possible combination i could need, except for Compact Flash reading,
                                              > > which i have a separate PCMCIA card for.
                                              > >
                                              > > ps: 3com makes a card like the xircom now, and there's a deal
                                              > posted in
                                              > > this group to get it for 59 bux. dunno if its got linux support for
                                              > > both parts tho.
                                              > >
                                              > > mikey >;)
                                              > >
                                              > > --- Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
                                              > > > the winmodem on the 3Com internal combo is not supported under
                                              > Linux
                                              > > >
                                              > > > -steve

                                              > I8100
                                              > > > ..
                                              > > > problem
                                              > > > the
                                              > connected
                                              > and
                                              > > > it
                                              > the
                                              > dont
                                              > with
                                              > 7

                                              > > > i've
                                              > NIC
                                              > > > &
                                              > guys ..

                                              > installing
                                              > use
                                              > > > it
                                              > modem
                                              > > > +

                                              > the
                                              > work
                                              > > > the
                                              > > > dialed

                                              > Intel
                                              > > > ?
                                              > see

                                              > 3com
                                              > ltmodem

                                              > grad

                                              > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                              > > > >

                                              > > > --
                                              > > > stephen lau :: [slau@u...] :: www.whacked.net :: ucsd/cse grad
                                              > > > student
                                              > > > gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21 via keyservers, or on my website
                                              > > >

                                              > > > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature

                                              > > Find a job, post your resume.
                                              > > http://careers.yahoo.com

                                            • ---(rick moranis)---
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 5, 2001
                                                My guess is that you're using the linmodem package. if you are, the modem is
                                                ttyLT0. link that to /dev/modem. you should have no problems using kppp. i
                                                use kppp with the internal linmodem.