RE: [Linux-dell-laptops] VMWare

  • michael carr
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
      VMware lets you run linux on top of windows and not just the other way
      around? how do things like network ports work? i would love to run 2k
      for development of php scripts, and upload them to the linux version
      running on the same box, and then view them from the linux webserver
      running apache+php+mysql?

      mikey >;)

      Find a job, post your resume.
      http://careers.yahoo.com
    • Jason Jarrar
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        I know I have run it both ways, the fun part of running under windows so
        that no matter what network card you have it works under linux as the same
        card, VMWare does the real networking and pass it to the same driver under
        linux, This way I can even run hardware that now is still not working under
        linux.

        --- Jason Jarrar <jjarrar@...> wrote:
        > Well, I was evaluating both sides, but ended up amazed how well x and
        > linux
        > is running as a guest under W2K. The most important part is that I
        > setup
        > Linux as a dual boot so I can boot it by itself or as a guest OS. The
        > nice
        > part about the Guest OS is that it actually works with all the
        > hardware I
        > have including my wireless lynksys card, my internal card. my touch
        > pad and
        > external mouse. I am not final on were I am going but at this point
        > if I
        > need both I am gona be on W2K running Linux as Guest. Who knows after
        > I get
        > SuSe 7.3 with more driver support and fix the little hardware
        > problems I
        > might try it the other way. I do love VMWare and it is worth every
        > penny.
        > lol when I get a job again I might get both the window and linux host
        > :)
        > just to have all the options. For now I just paid for the window
        > host.

      • McDonnell, Stephen
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
          Are there people on this board with a 5000e with the 16m ATI that have
          gotten the VMWare tools to successfully work? I installed the power tools
          after I got VMWare up and running it hosed up everything sooo bad in windows
          I had to re-image the windows. For some reason the mouse died, both the
          internal and the ps2 external, the video crapped out telling me I can't use
          the VMWare one, everytime I boot windows it finds new irda/memory
          controllers/com ports/printer ports/ etc etc for the life of me I could not
          get the mouse working again. I uninstalled the power tools and tried
          reinstalling the mouse and everytime the only one it would find is the
          VMWare mouse.

          Conversely, has anyone used Winxp in Linux or vise versa? I'm going out
          hopefully on lunch and picking up XP (re actually paying money for an OS,
          cringe).

          Steve

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
            Stephan

            Under Linux I did not dare use my main W2K. I just
            installed a new W2K guest under a virtual drive. It
            worked and it did not interfer with my main W2K
            install. As I said before, For now I prefer running it
            theother way around with W2K as host and Linux as
            guest. I am using SuSe 7.2 while waiting for 7.3 I
            gave up on Red Hat mainly as an objection to what they
            just did. They removed the product i just bought which
            is the delux worksation , renamed it to their pro
            product and raised the price from $79 to $199. I think
            that is not a fair price for packaging. so I got an
            rma and I am returning it to them. SuSe seem to work
            better with vmware and with my laptop and has more
            things in their 7.3 pro for $79 than Red Hat.

            --- "McDonnell, Stephen" <SMcDonnell@...>

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
              anyone here played with win2k + slackware with vmware? if so which way
              did you do it: win2k host & slackware guest or slackware host & win2k
              guest?

              mikey >;)

              Find a job, post your resume.
              http://careers.yahoo.com
            • Jason Jarrar
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                check my past posts. I chosr to have W2K as host, you
                can them use linux slackware, redhat, or SuSe or any
                other as guest. Doing it this way I can use exostic
                drivers that are readily avalaible under windows but
                take alot of work ot get working undr linux. My Linux
                partition is dual booted. I can boot it under window
                as a guest, or I can boot it from lilo on its own. to
                do so you need to use raw disks instead of the virtual
                disk. Vmware will switch the configuration files from
                virtual machine to real drivers as you boot based on
                if it is main boot or guest boot under vmware.
                I have it running with my wirelss modem, I am typing
                this letter while sitting outside under a tree. I also
                got the xdisplay at 1600x1200. It is a little slower
                than running in native mode, but it is fine for what I
                need and I can always run in native mode when the need
                arise. VMWare will pass any of your nic drivers as an
                AMD network card that is easily detected under SuSe.
                Not sure about Slack. the x driver is an SVGA VMWare
                driver.
                --- michael carr <pweiproduct@...> wrote:
                > anyone here played with win2k + slackware with
                > vmware? if so which way
                > did you do it: win2k host & slackware guest or
                > slackware host & win2k
                > guest?
                >
                > mikey >;)

                Find a job, post your resume.
                http://careers.yahoo.com
              • McDonnell, Stephen
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
                  Good afternoon, thanks for the reply on Friday to my question. So how were
                  you able to actually get the video running in full size on your W2k guest?
                  Mine simply puked when VMWare tried to take over and wouldn't let me install
                  the default drivers again. Like the how to said to during install.

                  Thanks!
                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
                    to terll you the truth Steve I do not remember, I
                    deleted the red hat stuff and waiting for SuSe 7.3
                    before I play with the linux host, since Linux
                    X--window setup almost caused me to lose my LCD. Sure
                    it is something I did, but gona wait for the new
                    release before I get Linux host running. For now just
                    running under W2K.

                    wrote:
                    > Good afternoon, thanks for the reply on Friday to my
                    > question. So how were
                    > you able to actually get the video running in full
                    > size on your W2k guest?
                    > Mine simply puked when VMWare tried to take over and
                    > wouldn't let me install
                    > the default drivers again. Like the how to said to
                    > during install.
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    > Steve

                    === message truncated ===