RE: [Linux-dell-laptops] VMWare

  • Jason Jarrar
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
      Well, I was evaluating both sides, but ended up amazed how well x and linux
      is running as a guest under W2K. The most important part is that I setup
      Linux as a dual boot so I can boot it by itself or as a guest OS. The nice
      part about the Guest OS is that it actually works with all the hardware I
      have including my wireless lynksys card, my internal card. my touch pad and
      external mouse. I am not final on were I am going but at this point if I
      need both I am gona be on W2K running Linux as Guest. Who knows after I get
      SuSe 7.3 with more driver support and fix the little hardware problems I
      might try it the other way. I do love VMWare and it is worth every penny.
      lol when I get a job again I might get both the window and linux host :)
      just to have all the options. For now I just paid for the window host.

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        VMware lets you run linux on top of windows and not just the other way
        around? how do things like network ports work? i would love to run 2k
        for development of php scripts, and upload them to the linux version
        running on the same box, and then view them from the linux webserver
        running apache+php+mysql?

        mikey >;)

        Find a job, post your resume.
        http://careers.yahoo.com
      • Jason Jarrar
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
          I know I have run it both ways, the fun part of running under windows so
          that no matter what network card you have it works under linux as the same
          card, VMWare does the real networking and pass it to the same driver under
          linux, This way I can even run hardware that now is still not working under
          linux.

          --- Jason Jarrar <jjarrar@...> wrote:
          > Well, I was evaluating both sides, but ended up amazed how well x and
          > linux
          > is running as a guest under W2K. The most important part is that I
          > setup
          > Linux as a dual boot so I can boot it by itself or as a guest OS. The
          > nice
          > part about the Guest OS is that it actually works with all the
          > hardware I
          > have including my wireless lynksys card, my internal card. my touch
          > pad and
          > external mouse. I am not final on were I am going but at this point
          > if I
          > need both I am gona be on W2K running Linux as Guest. Who knows after
          > I get
          > SuSe 7.3 with more driver support and fix the little hardware
          > problems I
          > might try it the other way. I do love VMWare and it is worth every
          > penny.
          > lol when I get a job again I might get both the window and linux host
          > :)
          > just to have all the options. For now I just paid for the window
          > host.

        • McDonnell, Stephen
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
            Are there people on this board with a 5000e with the 16m ATI that have
            gotten the VMWare tools to successfully work? I installed the power tools
            after I got VMWare up and running it hosed up everything sooo bad in windows
            I had to re-image the windows. For some reason the mouse died, both the
            internal and the ps2 external, the video crapped out telling me I can't use
            the VMWare one, everytime I boot windows it finds new irda/memory
            controllers/com ports/printer ports/ etc etc for the life of me I could not
            get the mouse working again. I uninstalled the power tools and tried
            reinstalling the mouse and everytime the only one it would find is the
            VMWare mouse.

            Conversely, has anyone used Winxp in Linux or vise versa? I'm going out
            hopefully on lunch and picking up XP (re actually paying money for an OS,
            cringe).

            Steve

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
              Stephan

              Under Linux I did not dare use my main W2K. I just
              installed a new W2K guest under a virtual drive. It
              worked and it did not interfer with my main W2K
              install. As I said before, For now I prefer running it
              theother way around with W2K as host and Linux as
              guest. I am using SuSe 7.2 while waiting for 7.3 I
              gave up on Red Hat mainly as an objection to what they
              just did. They removed the product i just bought which
              is the delux worksation , renamed it to their pro
              product and raised the price from $79 to $199. I think
              that is not a fair price for packaging. so I got an
              rma and I am returning it to them. SuSe seem to work
              better with vmware and with my laptop and has more
              things in their 7.3 pro for $79 than Red Hat.

              --- "McDonnell, Stephen" <SMcDonnell@...>

            • michael carr
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                anyone here played with win2k + slackware with vmware? if so which way
                did you do it: win2k host & slackware guest or slackware host & win2k
                guest?

                mikey >;)

                Find a job, post your resume.
                http://careers.yahoo.com
              • Jason Jarrar
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2001
                  check my past posts. I chosr to have W2K as host, you
                  can them use linux slackware, redhat, or SuSe or any
                  other as guest. Doing it this way I can use exostic
                  drivers that are readily avalaible under windows but
                  take alot of work ot get working undr linux. My Linux
                  partition is dual booted. I can boot it under window
                  as a guest, or I can boot it from lilo on its own. to
                  do so you need to use raw disks instead of the virtual
                  disk. Vmware will switch the configuration files from
                  virtual machine to real drivers as you boot based on
                  if it is main boot or guest boot under vmware.
                  I have it running with my wirelss modem, I am typing
                  this letter while sitting outside under a tree. I also
                  got the xdisplay at 1600x1200. It is a little slower
                  than running in native mode, but it is fine for what I
                  need and I can always run in native mode when the need
                  arise. VMWare will pass any of your nic drivers as an
                  AMD network card that is easily detected under SuSe.
                  Not sure about Slack. the x driver is an SVGA VMWare
                  driver.
                  --- michael carr <pweiproduct@...> wrote:
                  > anyone here played with win2k + slackware with
                  > vmware? if so which way
                  > did you do it: win2k host & slackware guest or
                  > slackware host & win2k
                  > guest?
                  >
                  > mikey >;)

                  Find a job, post your resume.
                  http://careers.yahoo.com
                • McDonnell, Stephen
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
                    Good afternoon, thanks for the reply on Friday to my question. So how were
                    you able to actually get the video running in full size on your W2k guest?
                    Mine simply puked when VMWare tried to take over and wouldn't let me install
                    the default drivers again. Like the how to said to during install.

                    Thanks!
                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 5, 2001
                      to terll you the truth Steve I do not remember, I
                      deleted the red hat stuff and waiting for SuSe 7.3
                      before I play with the linux host, since Linux
                      X--window setup almost caused me to lose my LCD. Sure
                      it is something I did, but gona wait for the new
                      release before I get Linux host running. For now just
                      running under W2K.

                      wrote:
                      > Good afternoon, thanks for the reply on Friday to my
                      > question. So how were
                      > you able to actually get the video running in full
                      > size on your W2k guest?
                      > Mine simply puked when VMWare tried to take over and
                      > wouldn't let me install
                      > the default drivers again. Like the how to said to
                      > during install.
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      > Steve

                      === message truncated ===