Re: Anyone able to switch off LCD backlight ?

  • panksies@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <slau@u...> wrote:
      > I used to have it working, and then upgraded to the latest xscreensaver package which broke it for some reason. In any
      > case, do what I do: set it in the BIOS to turn off the LCD after a certain time of inactivity. the only problem with
      > this method is that for some stupid reason, the BIOS doesn't monitor the USB ports. since I have an external
      > mouse/keyboard plugged in by USB - my I8K has a weird habit of turning off the display while I'm in the middle of
      > typing. not painful, but annoying nonetheless..

      :) Quite unnerving I bet.

      Yes, I've tried the BIOS power-saving option. It blanks the screen perfectly, but immediately jams the whole thing, and I have to power it off and on again. The same effect can be had, for free, by pressing Fn-D. Really enough to p*ss you off, because it's so darn similar to pressing Ctrl-D, and so gets pressed pretty often.

      What's happening ? Why does it lock up under these circumstances ? It does a similar thing if I unplug the power and loads of other scenarios. Grrrrr. Tonight, after 15 years of unix/linux, I had, for the first time, to re-type a text file under linux (the shame of it....) because it had chosen to lock up when I adjusted the brightness and the file was garbled. I ask you.

      Thanks for the help - any more ?

      Thanks

      Jamie
    • rumtictac@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 17, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., panksies@y... wrote:
        > Greetings
        >
        > I've tried setting DPMS in my XF86Config under monitor (XF4.1.0)...
        the log file says "option dpms is not used", and xset -q says "Display
        does not support DPMS."

        > Is this a problem with my config file, or is DPMS simply not
        supported by the LCD ?

        That is a good question and I'd like to know the answer too as I get
        the same thing on my i8000.

        > Has anyone got this working ? I'd really like to be able to switch
        off the LCD without having to do a full suspend.

        I'm futzing with this at the moment, and there is a kernel option
        under General Setup / Advanced Power Management BIOS Support / Enable
        console blanking using APM which used to work great for me on an old
        Dell Latitude LM. I've tried setting this for the i8000 though and it
        hangs when coming out of suspend (to ram)... I can't see any messages
        in the log about it so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm working with
        a 2.4.14 kernel from kernel.org.

        I'll post another note if I get this working...

        Cheers