Re: Dell Latitude CPx J750 w/RedHat 7.1Docking station config issue!

  • gilmour_37@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2001
      Here's the easiest system I've found:

      (out of base)
      - Install fresh version of RH 7.1
      - If you are going to use PCMCIA devices, install with those installed
      - If running X, go ahead and get that installed and stable

      (in the base, once everything else is good)
      - Plug in all devices to the base
      - Dock your laptop
      - If running X:
      - When you turn it on, boot in init 3
      - Kudzu will find all new hardware (nic, mouse, video)
      - Install X 4.1.0
      - Add the following line to your XFree config:
      - Can't remember off the top of my head. Search this group for
      the correct info (something like "Device" "BIOS"
      - If not running X, Kudzu will find all hardware (nic, mouse)
      - Reboot in base, all should be good

      Everything works great in and out of the base. The only exception is
      that when you're undocked, kudzu will notice there is no 3Com NIC. I
      just select do nothing.

      Hope this helps...

      - Alan (gilmour_37@...)

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Aaron Tremblay" <mtnbkr32@h...>
      wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I am trying to understand the correct way in which you can
      configure
      > RedHat/Linux to work with a Laptop both in and out of a docking
      station/port
      > replicator. The docking station has Kbrd, Mouse, Monitor, internal
      NIC, and

      http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp