Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Ejecting a PCMCIA network card

  • michael carr
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
      you could always do a /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia stop

      that would stop the pcmcia devices. you could remove the card you want
      and then do /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start

      or if ya wanna be really leet you could shell script it to put pcmcia
      to sleep, count to 30 seconds or so, and then restarting pcmcia.

      mikey >;)

      --- James Amundson <amundson@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I just upgraded to Redhat 7.1. I now find that I cannot eject a
      > PCMCIA
      > network card without crashing the machine. Does anyone else have (or
      > not
      > have) this problem with Redhat 7.1? How about Redhat 7.2? I did not
      > have
      > this problem with Redhat 7.0 and below.
      >
      > I think it's really a problem with the new hotplug mechanism with the
      > 2.4 kernel.
      >
      > I have a 5000e, but I don't think it matters.
      >
      > --Jim Amundson

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Sunny Dubey
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
        > or if ya wanna be really leet you could shell script it to put pcmcia
        > to sleep, count to 30 seconds or so, and then restarting pcmcia.

        I made a script for something the same a while ago, hope it helps

        #!/bin/sh

        # script should be called start-stop-pcmcia
        # it doesn't matter, but the help message below
        # would be wrong.

        case $1 in

        0|1)

        if [ $UID != 0 ] ; then
        echo -n "Verifying r00t permission ... "
        echo "failed"
        echo "You need to be r00t"
        echo "This script will now terminate"
        exit 1
        else
        echo -n "Verifying r00t permission ... "
        echo "passed"
        fi

        echo -n "Stopping card $1 ..."
        cardctl suspend $1 && echo "done" || exit 1
        echo -n "Sleeping for 30 seconds"
        sleep 30s
        echo " ... done "
        echo -n "Starting card $1 ..."
        cardctl resume $1 && echo "done" || exit 1

        ;;

        *)

        echo ""
        echo "Usage: start-stop-pcmcia [Card Number]"
        echo "[Card Number] corresponds to the slot number of your card"
        echo "The lower slot is usually slot 0, and the upper is slot 1"
        echo ""

        ;;

        esac
        exit 0
        #EOF

        hope it helps somewhat

        Sunny Dubey
      • michael carr
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
          way more advanced than what i was thinking, but really nice script!

          mikey >;)

          --- Sunny Dubey <dubeys@...> wrote:

          > > or if ya wanna be really leet you could shell script it to put
          > pcmcia
          > > to sleep, count to 30 seconds or so, and then restarting pcmcia.
          > >

          > I made a script for something the same a while ago, hope it helps
          >

          > #!/bin/sh
          >
          > # script should be called start-stop-pcmcia
          > # it doesn't matter, but the help message below
          > # would be wrong.
          >
          > case $1 in
          >
          > 0|1)
          >
          > if [ $UID != 0 ] ; then
          > echo -n "Verifying r00t permission ... "
          > echo "failed"
          > echo "You need to be r00t"
          > echo "This script will now terminate"
          > exit 1
          > else
          > echo -n "Verifying r00t permission ... "
          > echo "passed"
          > fi
          >
          > echo -n "Stopping card $1 ..."
          > cardctl suspend $1 && echo "done" || exit 1
          > echo -n "Sleeping for 30 seconds"
          > sleep 30s
          > echo " ... done "
          > echo -n "Starting card $1 ..."
          > cardctl resume $1 && echo "done" || exit 1
          >
          > ;;
          >
          > *)
          >
          > echo ""
          > echo "Usage: start-stop-pcmcia [Card Number]"
          > echo "[Card Number] corresponds to the slot number of your card"
          > echo "The lower slot is usually slot 0, and the upper is slot 1"
          > echo ""
          >
          > ;;
          >
          > esac
          > exit 0
          > #EOF
          >
          > hope it helps somewhat
          >
          > Sunny Dubey

          Find a job, post your resume.
          http://careers.yahoo.com
        • Sunny Dubey
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
            On Thursday 01 November 2001 06:11 pm, you wrote:
            > way more advanced than what i was thinking, but really nice script!
            >
            > mikey >;)

            I've got lots more, just ask :)

            take care

            Sunny Dubey
          • michael carr
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
              Get my Geforce2Go card on my c810 going in X and you'd impress the crap
              outa me :)

              mikey >;)

              --- Sunny Dubey <dubeys@...> wrote:
              > On Thursday 01 November 2001 06:11 pm, you wrote:
              > > way more advanced than what i was thinking, but really nice script!
              > >
              > > mikey >;)
              >

              > I've got lots more, just ask :)
              >
              > take care
              >
              > Sunny Dubey

              Find a job, post your resume.
              http://careers.yahoo.com
            • Sunny Dubey
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                On Thursday 01 November 2001 08:35 pm, you wrote:
                > Get my Geforce2Go card on my c810 going in X and you'd impress the crap
                > outa me :)

                two problems ...

                first, I don't have a c810 to test anything out on, and so I can't be much
                help at all (unless some nice people want to buy a high schooler a new laptop
                :)

                secondly, I refuse to support any CSS drivers. Sorry (and no offense to
                anyone), but I personally will not care about drivers that arn't
                GPL/LGPL/BSD/MIT in the kernel or related. (read tainted kernel) (but thats
                just me).

                good luck on getting X to work, and when you do get it to work, maybe you or
                someone else can make a little webpage describing in detial how to do it, so
                they don't have to suffer as well.

                Sunny Dubey
              • michael carr
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                  i had to scam my new job to get me mine, so very lil chance of gettin
                  you one ;)

                  i totally agree with you on the code tho. GPL'ing their driver can only
                  HELP THEM in the linux community. i really with 3dfx was still
                  around... they'd probibly have a mobile chipset out, and it would have
                  serious linux support with it.

                  aaahhh i miss those boys @ 3dfx. :(

                  if i ever do get this damn thing to support Xwindows, im definately
                  gonna put a page or 20 up, with every detail... down to what color
                  socks i was wearing, the date and time, temperature in the house, etc
                  :) there will be banners everywhere that say "geforce2go + c810 in
                  Xwindows". i'm even gonna send out spam... wait no that's going way too
                  far.

                  mikey >;)

                  --- Sunny Dubey <dubeys@...> wrote:
                  > On Thursday 01 November 2001 08:35 pm, you wrote:
                  > > Get my Geforce2Go card on my c810 going in X and you'd impress the
                  > crap
                  > > outa me :)
                  > >

                  > two problems ...
                  >
                  > first, I don't have a c810 to test anything out on, and so I can't be
                  > much
                  > help at all (unless some nice people want to buy a high schooler a
                  > new laptop
                  > :)
                  >
                  > secondly, I refuse to support any CSS drivers. Sorry (and no offense
                  > anyone), but I personally will not care about drivers that arn't
                  > GPL/LGPL/BSD/MIT in the kernel or related. (read tainted kernel)
                  > (but thats
                  > just me).
                  >
                  > good luck on getting X to work, and when you do get it to work, maybe
                  > you or
                  > someone else can make a little webpage describing in detial how to do
                  > it, so
                  > they don't have to suffer as well.
                  >
                  > Sunny Dubey

                  Find a job, post your resume.
                  http://careers.yahoo.com
                • David Whitmarsh
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                    I have a 5000e running Redhat 7.1, and I eject my network card on
                    average twice daily with no problems. What card are you using, maybe
                    it's something specific to that driver?

                    David

                    On Thu, 2001-11-01 at 22:03, michael carr wrote:
                    > you could always do a /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia stop
                    >
                    > that would stop the pcmcia devices. you could remove the card you want
                    > and then do /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start
                    >
                    > or if ya wanna be really leet you could shell script it to put pcmcia
                    > to sleep, count to 30 seconds or so, and then restarting pcmcia.
                    >
                    > mikey >;)
                    >
                    > --- James Amundson <amundson@...> wrote:
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > I just upgraded to Redhat 7.1. I now find that I cannot eject a
                    > > PCMCIA
                    > > network card without crashing the machine. Does anyone else have (or
                    > > not
                    > > have) this problem with Redhat 7.1? How about Redhat 7.2? I did not
                    > > have
                    > > this problem with Redhat 7.0 and below.
                    > >
                    > > I think it's really a problem with the new hotplug mechanism with the
                    > > 2.4 kernel.
                    > >
                    > > I have a 5000e, but I don't think it matters.
                    > >
                    > > --Jim Amundson

                    > http://personals.yahoo.com

                    David Whitmarsh
                    Sparkle Computer Co Ltd
                    Systems Development and Consultancy
                    UNIX/LINUX/Windows, C/C++/perl/java Sybase

                    web: www.sparkle-consultancy.co.uk
                    mob: +44 (0)7802 537097

                  • ---(rick moranis)---
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                      I just joined this list this morning so I may be unclear about a few things.
                      Is this a strictly Red Hat list or is it just a coincidence that so many
                      users who subscribe use Red Hat?

                    • Marc Fellman
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                        Aanhalen "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@...>:

                        > I just joined this list this morning so I may be unclear about a few
                        > things.
                        > Is this a strictly Red Hat list or is it just a coincidence that so
                        > many
                        > users who subscribe use Red Hat?

                        I am using Madrake and there are users of debian.

                        <SNIP>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                          Ok. So it is just the majority then? Are there any Slackware users out
                          there?

                        • Stephen Lau
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                            Just a coincidence. A lot of people on here also use Mandrake or SuSE.
                            There are a couple who use Slackware, and I believe there are two of us
                            (me!) who use Debian. (I also use Red Hat).

                            -steve

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                              On Friday 02 November 2001 02:36 am, you wrote:
                              > I just joined this list this morning so I may be unclear about a few
                              > things. Is this a strictly Red Hat list or is it just a coincidence that so
                              > many users who subscribe use Red Hat?

                              i'm on debian (using the Sid/unstable "release")

                              Sunny Dubey
                            • dearr joe
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                                yup, I'm a slack user.... I have most if not everything working on mine...

                                Do You Yahoo!?
                                Find a job, post your resume on Yahoo! Careers.
                              • ---(rick moranis)---
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                                  Alright, another slack user. I think I have everything working on mine
                                  too--at least according to the kernel. I have not tried the usb or firewire
                                  port, but everything else has been tested and works fine. Oh, with the
                                  exception of the s-video output. I haven't spent any time with that. I saw
                                  some support for it on a site yesterday. When I have a need for it I'll set
                                  it up.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                                    i run slack8 :)

                                    mikey >;)

                                    --- "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@...> wrote:
                                    > Ok. So it is just the majority then? Are there any Slackware users
                                    > out
                                    > there?

                                    Find a job, post your resume.
                                    http://careers.yahoo.com
                                  • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001

                                      > I just joined this list this morning so I may be unclear about a few things.
                                      > Is this a strictly Red Hat list or is it just a coincidence that so many
                                      > users who subscribe use Red Hat?

                                      John Cronin
                                    • James Amundson
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 3, 2001

                                        --- Sunny Dubey <dubeys@...> wrote:

                                        > [a script to stop and restart a pcmcia card]

                                        Thanks for the advice and the script. I should have said that I can
                                        manually do a cardctl eject to get the card out safely. The point is
                                        that you shouldn't have to do that -- I've been ejecting network cards
                                        on Linux for years without have to fiddle with manual commands. It seems
                                        to me that something is broken in 7.1, but I'm not sure what yet.

                                        --- David Whitmarsh <david.whitmarsh@...> wrote:

                                        > I have a 5000e running Redhat 7.1, and I eject my network card on
                                        > average twice daily with no problems. What card are you using, maybe
                                        > it's something specific to that driver?

                                        Ah ha. Now we are getting somewhere. You are the first person (out of
                                        five) I've talked to who does not have this problem. I have two network
                                        cards: an Aironet 4800 and a Xircom ethernet + modem combination. The
                                        modem driver for the Xircom is currently broken, so it makes a bad test
                                        system. Nonetheless, I see the same problem using the Aironet or the
                                        Xircom ethernet side. Which card do you have?

                                        --Jim