Ejecting a PCMCIA network card

  • James Amundson
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
      Hi,

      I just upgraded to Redhat 7.1. I now find that I cannot eject a PCMCIA
      network card without crashing the machine. Does anyone else have (or not
      have) this problem with Redhat 7.1? How about Redhat 7.2? I did not have
      this problem with Redhat 7.0 and below.

      I think it's really a problem with the new hotplug mechanism with the
      2.4 kernel.

      I have a 5000e, but I don't think it matters.

      --Jim Amundson
    • michael carr
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
        you could always do a /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia stop

        that would stop the pcmcia devices. you could remove the card you want
        and then do /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start

        or if ya wanna be really leet you could shell script it to put pcmcia
        to sleep, count to 30 seconds or so, and then restarting pcmcia.

        mikey >;)

        --- James Amundson <amundson@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I just upgraded to Redhat 7.1. I now find that I cannot eject a
        > PCMCIA
        > network card without crashing the machine. Does anyone else have (or
        > not
        > have) this problem with Redhat 7.1? How about Redhat 7.2? I did not
        > have
        > this problem with Redhat 7.0 and below.
        >
        > I think it's really a problem with the new hotplug mechanism with the
        > 2.4 kernel.
        >
        > I have a 5000e, but I don't think it matters.
        >
        > --Jim Amundson

        http://personals.yahoo.com
      • Sunny Dubey
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
          > or if ya wanna be really leet you could shell script it to put pcmcia
          > to sleep, count to 30 seconds or so, and then restarting pcmcia.

          I made a script for something the same a while ago, hope it helps

          #!/bin/sh

          # script should be called start-stop-pcmcia
          # it doesn't matter, but the help message below
          # would be wrong.

          case $1 in

          0|1)

          if [ $UID != 0 ] ; then
          echo -n "Verifying r00t permission ... "
          echo "failed"
          echo "You need to be r00t"
          echo "This script will now terminate"
          exit 1
          else
          echo -n "Verifying r00t permission ... "
          echo "passed"
          fi

          echo -n "Stopping card $1 ..."
          cardctl suspend $1 && echo "done" || exit 1
          echo -n "Sleeping for 30 seconds"
          sleep 30s
          echo " ... done "
          echo -n "Starting card $1 ..."
          cardctl resume $1 && echo "done" || exit 1

          ;;

          *)

          echo ""
          echo "Usage: start-stop-pcmcia [Card Number]"
          echo "[Card Number] corresponds to the slot number of your card"
          echo "The lower slot is usually slot 0, and the upper is slot 1"
          echo ""

          ;;

          esac
          exit 0
          #EOF

          hope it helps somewhat

          Sunny Dubey
        • michael carr
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
            way more advanced than what i was thinking, but really nice script!

            mikey >;)

            --- Sunny Dubey <dubeys@...> wrote:

            > > or if ya wanna be really leet you could shell script it to put
            > pcmcia
            > > to sleep, count to 30 seconds or so, and then restarting pcmcia.
            > >

            > I made a script for something the same a while ago, hope it helps
            >

            > #!/bin/sh
            >
            > # script should be called start-stop-pcmcia
            > # it doesn't matter, but the help message below
            > # would be wrong.
            >
            > case $1 in
            >
            > 0|1)
            >
            > if [ $UID != 0 ] ; then
            > echo -n "Verifying r00t permission ... "
            > echo "failed"
            > echo "You need to be r00t"
            > echo "This script will now terminate"
            > exit 1
            > else
            > echo -n "Verifying r00t permission ... "
            > echo "passed"
            > fi
            >
            > echo -n "Stopping card $1 ..."
            > cardctl suspend $1 && echo "done" || exit 1
            > echo -n "Sleeping for 30 seconds"
            > sleep 30s
            > echo " ... done "
            > echo -n "Starting card $1 ..."
            > cardctl resume $1 && echo "done" || exit 1
            >
            > ;;
            >
            > *)
            >
            > echo ""
            > echo "Usage: start-stop-pcmcia [Card Number]"
            > echo "[Card Number] corresponds to the slot number of your card"
            > echo "The lower slot is usually slot 0, and the upper is slot 1"
            > echo ""
            >
            > ;;
            >
            > esac
            > exit 0
            > #EOF
            >
            > hope it helps somewhat
            >
            > Sunny Dubey

            Find a job, post your resume.
            http://careers.yahoo.com
          • Sunny Dubey
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
              On Thursday 01 November 2001 06:11 pm, you wrote:
              > way more advanced than what i was thinking, but really nice script!
              >
              > mikey >;)

              I've got lots more, just ask :)

              take care

              Sunny Dubey
            • michael carr
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                Get my Geforce2Go card on my c810 going in X and you'd impress the crap
                outa me :)

                mikey >;)

                --- Sunny Dubey <dubeys@...> wrote:
                > On Thursday 01 November 2001 06:11 pm, you wrote:
                > > way more advanced than what i was thinking, but really nice script!
                > >
                > > mikey >;)
                >

                > I've got lots more, just ask :)
                >
                > take care
                >
                > Sunny Dubey

                Find a job, post your resume.
                http://careers.yahoo.com
              • Sunny Dubey
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                  On Thursday 01 November 2001 08:35 pm, you wrote:
                  > Get my Geforce2Go card on my c810 going in X and you'd impress the crap
                  > outa me :)

                  two problems ...

                  first, I don't have a c810 to test anything out on, and so I can't be much
                  help at all (unless some nice people want to buy a high schooler a new laptop
                  :)

                  secondly, I refuse to support any CSS drivers. Sorry (and no offense to
                  anyone), but I personally will not care about drivers that arn't
                  GPL/LGPL/BSD/MIT in the kernel or related. (read tainted kernel) (but thats
                  just me).

                  good luck on getting X to work, and when you do get it to work, maybe you or
                  someone else can make a little webpage describing in detial how to do it, so
                  they don't have to suffer as well.

                  Sunny Dubey
                • michael carr
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                    i had to scam my new job to get me mine, so very lil chance of gettin
                    you one ;)

                    i totally agree with you on the code tho. GPL'ing their driver can only
                    HELP THEM in the linux community. i really with 3dfx was still
                    around... they'd probibly have a mobile chipset out, and it would have
                    serious linux support with it.

                    aaahhh i miss those boys @ 3dfx. :(

                    if i ever do get this damn thing to support Xwindows, im definately
                    gonna put a page or 20 up, with every detail... down to what color
                    socks i was wearing, the date and time, temperature in the house, etc
                    :) there will be banners everywhere that say "geforce2go + c810 in
                    Xwindows". i'm even gonna send out spam... wait no that's going way too
                    far.

                    mikey >;)

                    --- Sunny Dubey <dubeys@...> wrote:
                    > On Thursday 01 November 2001 08:35 pm, you wrote:
                    > > Get my Geforce2Go card on my c810 going in X and you'd impress the
                    > crap
                    > > outa me :)
                    > >

                    > two problems ...
                    >
                    > first, I don't have a c810 to test anything out on, and so I can't be
                    > much
                    > help at all (unless some nice people want to buy a high schooler a
                    > new laptop
                    > :)
                    >
                    > secondly, I refuse to support any CSS drivers. Sorry (and no offense
                    > anyone), but I personally will not care about drivers that arn't
                    > GPL/LGPL/BSD/MIT in the kernel or related. (read tainted kernel)
                    > (but thats
                    > just me).
                    >
                    > good luck on getting X to work, and when you do get it to work, maybe
                    > you or
                    > someone else can make a little webpage describing in detial how to do
                    > it, so
                    > they don't have to suffer as well.
                    >
                    > Sunny Dubey

                    Find a job, post your resume.
                    http://careers.yahoo.com
                  • David Whitmarsh
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                      I have a 5000e running Redhat 7.1, and I eject my network card on
                      average twice daily with no problems. What card are you using, maybe
                      it's something specific to that driver?

                      David

                      On Thu, 2001-11-01 at 22:03, michael carr wrote:
                      > you could always do a /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia stop
                      >
                      > that would stop the pcmcia devices. you could remove the card you want
                      > and then do /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start
                      >
                      > or if ya wanna be really leet you could shell script it to put pcmcia
                      > to sleep, count to 30 seconds or so, and then restarting pcmcia.
                      >
                      > mikey >;)
                      >
                      > --- James Amundson <amundson@...> wrote:
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > I just upgraded to Redhat 7.1. I now find that I cannot eject a
                      > > PCMCIA
                      > > network card without crashing the machine. Does anyone else have (or
                      > > not
                      > > have) this problem with Redhat 7.1? How about Redhat 7.2? I did not
                      > > have
                      > > this problem with Redhat 7.0 and below.
                      > >
                      > > I think it's really a problem with the new hotplug mechanism with the
                      > > 2.4 kernel.
                      > >
                      > > I have a 5000e, but I don't think it matters.
                      > >
                      > > --Jim Amundson

                      > http://personals.yahoo.com

                      David Whitmarsh
                      Sparkle Computer Co Ltd
                      Systems Development and Consultancy
                      UNIX/LINUX/Windows, C/C++/perl/java Sybase

                      web: www.sparkle-consultancy.co.uk
                      mob: +44 (0)7802 537097

                    • ---(rick moranis)---
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 1, 2001
                        I just joined this list this morning so I may be unclear about a few things.
                        Is this a strictly Red Hat list or is it just a coincidence that so many
                        users who subscribe use Red Hat?

                      • Marc Fellman
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                          Aanhalen "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@...>:

                          > I just joined this list this morning so I may be unclear about a few
                          > things.
                          > Is this a strictly Red Hat list or is it just a coincidence that so
                          > many
                          > users who subscribe use Red Hat?

                          I am using Madrake and there are users of debian.

                          <SNIP>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                            Ok. So it is just the majority then? Are there any Slackware users out
                            there?

                          • Stephen Lau
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                              Just a coincidence. A lot of people on here also use Mandrake or SuSE.
                              There are a couple who use Slackware, and I believe there are two of us
                              (me!) who use Debian. (I also use Red Hat).

                              -steve

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                                On Friday 02 November 2001 02:36 am, you wrote:
                                > I just joined this list this morning so I may be unclear about a few
                                > things. Is this a strictly Red Hat list or is it just a coincidence that so
                                > many users who subscribe use Red Hat?

                                i'm on debian (using the Sid/unstable "release")

                                Sunny Dubey
                              • dearr joe
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                                  yup, I'm a slack user.... I have most if not everything working on mine...

                                  Do You Yahoo!?
                                  Find a job, post your resume on Yahoo! Careers.
                                • ---(rick moranis)---
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                                    Alright, another slack user. I think I have everything working on mine
                                    too--at least according to the kernel. I have not tried the usb or firewire
                                    port, but everything else has been tested and works fine. Oh, with the
                                    exception of the s-video output. I haven't spent any time with that. I saw
                                    some support for it on a site yesterday. When I have a need for it I'll set
                                    it up.

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001
                                      i run slack8 :)

                                      mikey >;)

                                      --- "---(rick moranis)---" <iamdeus5@...> wrote:
                                      > Ok. So it is just the majority then? Are there any Slackware users
                                      > out
                                      > there?

                                      Find a job, post your resume.
                                      http://careers.yahoo.com
                                    • jsc3@havoc.gtf.org
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 2, 2001

                                        > I just joined this list this morning so I may be unclear about a few things.
                                        > Is this a strictly Red Hat list or is it just a coincidence that so many
                                        > users who subscribe use Red Hat?

                                        John Cronin
                                      • James Amundson
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 3, 2001

                                          --- Sunny Dubey <dubeys@...> wrote:

                                          > [a script to stop and restart a pcmcia card]

                                          Thanks for the advice and the script. I should have said that I can
                                          manually do a cardctl eject to get the card out safely. The point is
                                          that you shouldn't have to do that -- I've been ejecting network cards
                                          on Linux for years without have to fiddle with manual commands. It seems
                                          to me that something is broken in 7.1, but I'm not sure what yet.

                                          --- David Whitmarsh <david.whitmarsh@...> wrote:

                                          > I have a 5000e running Redhat 7.1, and I eject my network card on
                                          > average twice daily with no problems. What card are you using, maybe
                                          > it's something specific to that driver?

                                          Ah ha. Now we are getting somewhere. You are the first person (out of
                                          five) I've talked to who does not have this problem. I have two network
                                          cards: an Aironet 4800 and a Xircom ethernet + modem combination. The
                                          modem driver for the Xircom is currently broken, so it makes a bad test
                                          system. Nonetheless, I see the same problem using the Aironet or the
                                          Xircom ethernet side. Which card do you have?

                                          --Jim